PDA

View Full Version : 2250 High Elf Tourney list Deathstar and Tarpit

WhiteKnight
01-02-2009, 23:02
Well I came across this idea like 10 minutes ago and so I'm posting it here. It goes with the DragonStar or Dragon princes and a tarpit that is amazing, 30 white lions. Basically, these two units will go feet first into combat and basically tear up anything in its path. No dragon in this list so this'll show another way of being competitive.

Prince:Barded Elven Steed, Vambraces of Defence, lance, enchanted shield, talisman of saphery, dragon armor (289)

Noble: SB, Banner of the World Dragon, Dragon Armor, Lance, barded elven steed (196)

Mage: lv 1, 2 dispel scrolls (140)

Spearmen: 25, full command (250)

Archers: 10 (mage goes here) (110)

Dragon Princes: 8, full command, banner of ellyrion, amulet of light (prince and noble go here) (320)

Swordmasters:7 (105)

White Lions: 30, full command, gem of courage (490)

Great Eagle: 50

3 Bolt Throwers (300)

Comments and critique are welcome. And yes, this is an unfriendly tourney list.

WhiteKnight
02-02-2009, 02:19
P.S. I'm not a douche bag. I'm just seeing how pissed off people would be if they played against this list, such as at a GT. No more relying on dragons. Just 8 Dps and 30 white lions!

Kornath
02-02-2009, 10:58
I don't see anything particularly "death starish" about this list. Would be easy to beat with a close combat WOC army I think

T_T Kornath

WhiteKnight
02-02-2009, 14:30
Close combat WOC? In my experience, they get chopped up by my 7 swordmasters and white lions. They aren't as scary as everyone thinks. Plus those 3 bolt throwers will back me up. And the main unit is the dragon princes and immune to magic, magical attacks, and free to move through terrain with ease is good. I might try to make the prince have sacred incense or just go with immune to magic since most armies are play are magic heavy.

Shamfrit
02-02-2009, 14:44
They're immune to magic yes, but if they get charged they're going down.

The Battle Banner would be alot better.

WhiteKnight
02-02-2009, 14:48
Yeah I've thought about that and thats one of the reasons I was considering giving my prince and nobles great weapons.That way I atleast have 7 S5 attacks.

Shamfrit
02-02-2009, 14:56
Str6 you mean?

8 Wide is very hard to hide. And if you don't break on the charge you will get torn apart.

You'd be better off with a mage or two spamming Drain Magic held in reserve and going for the Battle Banner, but that's just me.

Nerhesi
02-02-2009, 15:34
Your standard bearer in the unit is toughness 3, with a 2+ armor save right?

On a steed? So if fast cav unit charges him... you're getting around 6 attacks on him, wounding on a 4+ or a 3+, and you're saving on a 2+ or a 3+ or 4+?

two wounds and it is done?

I don't know but I'd be throwing a lot of disposable crap at that.

Not to mention something like a hydra, or even a hell cannon, or a giant, or something...

Sam W.

Nerhesi
02-02-2009, 15:35
Woops. Only 3+ armor - no shield on the Standard bearer, correct?

CaliforniaGamer
02-02-2009, 16:18
I like this list actually. Can we get some reports if you playtest it?

Marwynn
02-02-2009, 17:23
The newer BSBs can use Shields, like the HE BSB can. Yeah the BSB tends to be the primary target, nothing new there.

I don't know if I'd fear 30 White Lions though. Gem of Courage? That's it? Why not the Standard of Balance or the Lion Standard at least?

WhiteKnight
02-02-2009, 22:35
I couldn't find points. I could drop the spearmen to 20 instead and that'll give the white lions standard of balance. And the shield on the bsb was to make it flat out 2250. I like exact numbers so I'm not "under costed" in any way.

garythewargamer
05-02-2009, 14:41
You are one of the few players that I am seeing willing to use 3 RBTs. That is what my daughter plays but she went magic heavy and wanted a dragon. What is a father to do? Spoil her rotten and blame myself. I like the white lions as they are stubborn, has nothing to do with the models looking very nice. Where we play this list may be a little weak on the magic side but apparently the shooting would make up for it.

Can I ask you a few questions?
Why a block of thirty spearman? Why not two blocks of fifteen.
Same question about the lions. How wide to you plan on running them? If they get wider then they are harder to wheel and stuff.

Here is my daughters list.
10 archers with only leather upgrades
18 spearman full command
18 spearman full command with banner of courage/lion

war eagle
3 RBTs

7 sword masters full command with banner of sorcery
lion chariot

Teclis
dragon mage 2nd with sun dragon and seerstaff of saphery
2nd lvl mage with A crystal

GaretJax
12-03-2009, 03:26
I think the list is very strong but not really that unfriendly. However I do wonder if the spearman unit could be reduced some and the +CR banner used instead for the DP's. 30 WL(my favorite unit in the book) rocks it doesnt seem to serve a purpose. 20 or 25 would work just as well and the saved points could be used to fill out other units or add another MSU which means nothing but good things.

All in all an effective list however.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
12-03-2009, 12:50
I don't think this list is particularly competitive to be honest. The lists with 10 Dragon Princes and a Star Dragon work because they give each other mutual support, 10 Dragon Princes and 30 White Lions don't. Also the Scroll Caddy is sufficient magical defence for lists with 10 Dragon Princes with standard w/Banner of the World Dragon and a Star Dragon since the Dragon Princes are immune to magic and any nasty spells on your Star Dragon in turns 1 and 2 will be scrolled, by which time the two units will be ripping it up, together, in the centre of the enemies lines. The unit of White Lions however, will have to weather more than two phases of magical assault. To me personally, this list seems as if you have taken a tried and tested formula, namely the Star Dragon/10 Dragon Princes list and simply interchanged the Star Dragon for 30 White Lions expecting the list to remain as competitive. I'm not saying this list is weak but I know which variation of it I would want to take to a GT.

truthsayer
12-03-2009, 14:53
Ha ha ha, just found this list as I am going against high elves this saturday with my lizardmen and just wanted to get some ideas of what to take against them.

As i read the list I realised I have played against it before!!... seems like my main opponent couldnt be bothered to come up with his own list and cheekily stole this one!

I was dark elves and used a list that looked like this.

Master on foot. regen armour, soulrender
sorceress. lvl 2. sacrificial dagger (got chillwind and black horror)
sorceress. lvl 2. scroll, darkstar cloak (got chillwind and soul stealer)

24 spears. fc. warbanner. (master here)
24 spears. fc.
24 spears. fc. Assassin. xhw. rune, killing blow, cloak of shadows.
10 crossbows. shields
6 harpies
2 x 5 shades. great weps. one had assassin with rending stars.
6 Cold One Kinghts.
2 x hydra.

Ill give you a run down on the battle by left, right and middle.

Left Flank...... At first I worried about the white lions but put both of my hydras on that flank, one hydra took a bolt first turn (failed to regen) lost a wound. both hydras breathed fire on the white lions and killed a few. a unit of shades with the assassin moved up in support with the hydras. killed a few more with shooting. the WL charged both hydras (side by side) failed to kill either but took a few wounds. The hydras killed about 6 WL if I remember correctly, the meastmasters killed another 4-5. next turn 1 hydra died, killed more white lions. second hydra then got killed. white lions then were out of the game as they chased the beastmasters too far to a flank.

Middle table...... 3 units of spears advanced. DP's hovered about opposite, I succesfully cast Black horror but world dragon stopped me (damn-it!). Dp's continued to hover about, I picked off one or two with the shades who came round with the assassin late game. assassin killed 2 in one turn with rending stars. My other assassin flew out of his unit to take out a bolt thrower (stupid move) and then got shot by the other two! (fool).
DP's finally charged a unit of spears with master in, I held them up. unit of high elf spears moved up to help, I managaed to get soul stealer off and kill about 10 spear elves! I won the middle table war after a turn or two and chased off the prince.

Right Flank...... I had shades, crossbows and cold ones. The cold ones died after charging 7 swordmasters, crossbows got whittled down to two left. I charged the last 2 into the last 2 swordmasters and killed them both (ha ha he fluffed his four attacks!) then the harpies got another bolt thrower. bit more killing, I charged the archers with my harpies. they were chased off (the harpies).

All in all a massacre to me.

good list however I would change the following...

swap prince for Noble
swap level 1 for level 3
give bsb battle banner
drop 10 WL
beef up another unit with the points or get a lion chariot.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
12-03-2009, 15:38
Idont think this list is that hard to beat. But its good that someone is making a competitive list without a dragon :P

Zeuzism
12-03-2009, 16:48
I would love to play against this list with my 2000pts tourney Dwarfs. I will slaughter it without blinking an eye...

This is no power build. Think again. These White Lions will drop 10+ a turn from my Grudge Thrower+Quarrellers shooting. They are as hard to kill as Goblins and a 30 'men' unit cannot hide. The DPs? Hahaha, a few Bolt Throwers, a Cannon or an Organ Gun will make this unit unrecognizable in a single turn of shooting. Great that you have magic protection. Please take more! ;)

Well, sorry for the harsh response, but you will have to think about it. This list will be butchered by any heavy shooting Empire/Dwarf/Elf player.

Z.

blackjack
12-03-2009, 18:55
I would be game to try my regular all comers Lizzy list against this.

LKHERO
12-03-2009, 19:32
I would love to play against this list with my 2000pts tourney Dwarfs. I will slaughter it without blinking an eye...

This is no power build. Think again. These White Lions will drop 10+ a turn from my Grudge Thrower+Quarrellers shooting. They are as hard to kill as Goblins and a 30 'men' unit cannot hide. The DPs? Hahaha, a few Bolt Throwers, a Cannon or an Organ Gun will make this unit unrecognizable in a single turn of shooting. Great that you have magic protection. Please take more! ;)

Well, sorry for the harsh response, but you will have to think about it. This list will be butchered by any heavy shooting Empire/Dwarf/Elf player.

Z.

Zeuzism is right. This list will be torn asunder by most Gunlines and heavy hitters.

You also have a weakness vs. High Toughness creatures.

garythewargamer
12-03-2009, 23:25
I believe you got a lot of advice here. I know I learn alot and that is what counts.