PDA

View Full Version : Helm of Many Eyes question

02-02-2009, 02:25
If i give my chosen champion helm of many eyes, he takes a stupidity test at the start of every turn right. And if he fails the whole unit moves forward at half movement. This seems kinda risky to have a chosen champ with great weapons to attack first.

Asmodiseus
02-02-2009, 03:09
Im not really sure what your question is, if you gave your chosen champ the helm then yes he would have to take a stupidity test at the start of all your turns and if he fails then yes the unit would move forward at half their movement and yes it is risky with little reward.

sulla
02-02-2009, 04:45
Keep him within range of Archaeon or Sigvald. Ld10.

Or use him as a bodyguard for your Ld9 general.

Either way, as a longtime DE player, I will stongly advise you to avoid testing on Ld8 if at all possible. Despite what mathhammer will tell you, it is possible to fail 50%+ of stupidity tests on Ld8.:rolleyes::cries::cries::cries:

Neckutter
02-02-2009, 04:57
yep, the helm of many eyes sucks now, because undivided is gone.

Devon Harmon
03-02-2009, 03:46
I like it. Part of it is nostalgia. I've fielded the same model equipped with helm o' many eyes and Great Weapon for years (well before it caused stupidity). I put him in a unit of trolls. It slows them down, but they make one heck of a bodyguard.

FredNo1
03-02-2009, 10:18
yep, the helm of many eyes sucks now, because undivided is gone.

no it doesnt suck, it jst takes alittle more planning which is pretty easy to have.

nosferatu1001
03-02-2009, 11:58
Plan for randomness? LOL!

Cambion Daystar
03-02-2009, 12:14
Chaos warriors are way to expensive to have stupidity. You are already at a disadvantage because you usually have fewer units.

Grimbrow
03-02-2009, 13:08
"If u win on 5+ on a d6 in games....

then u can plan that ur gonna, over a season of games, lose 2 out 3 games...."

That's not planning, it's statistics of the most inane sort. Besides, the point is that while that statistically ought to happen, the randomness of it means you could win anywhere between 0-3 games. Great planning.
There's no way of predicting when the leadership tests will/wont work. Sure, 2/3 maybe, but that doesn't help know when you'll fail, thus it adds an element of randomness.

GranFarfar
03-02-2009, 15:20
He has a point. You have to play this game according statistics. The question is just how big of a risk you are willing to take.

Of course you don't know when that ld test will fail, but that is true to most dice rolls.

The Red Scourge
03-02-2009, 15:50
Of course you don't know when that ld test will fail, but that is true to most dice rolls.

You know. That stupidity test will always fail on the most inopportune of moments. A guy called Murphy even put it in the rules ;)

GranFarfar
03-02-2009, 16:08
You know. That stupidity test will always fail on the most inopportune of moments. A guy called Murphy even put it in the rules ;)

Great. Then you know when it will happen, and can plan for it! :D

The SkaerKrow
03-02-2009, 16:13
While I would never put the Helm of Many Eyes on a character in a unit of Knights or in a Chariot, in a block of infantry it isn't bad. Even if you do get charged, you have a fairly nasty fellow in the front rank striking first. Even if he gets sucked into a challenge, he has a good chance of killing an enemy character and possibly scoring some overkill.

While you can't nullify the random nature of certain game rules, you can work towards mitigating their impact on your army.

nosferatu1001
03-02-2009, 16:29
DE Chariots always fail stupidity the turn they should be charging a nice squishy unit. At least in my experience!

Makaber
03-02-2009, 16:50
I'd like to back up SkaerKrows sentiment, it ain't all that bad in an infantry regiment. If you weren't in a position to charge to begin with, you don't lose out that much movement, and the movement of an infantry block is a lot less critical than that of a unit of, say, fast cavalry anyway. And, where you might lose out on a charge very often with a unit of cavalry suffering from Stupidity, the same is a lot less likely to happen to a block of infantry, due to their much slower movement. And even if they do lose out on a charge, they don't lose out as much on it as, say, a unit armed with lances. And even if/when they do get charged, you still have the character striking first to help you even the odds a little.

I'd never have a Helm of Many Eyes on a flyer or in a cavarly unit, but I plan on using one on a Battle Standard Bearer in a Marauder block, with a Great Weapon. It keeps him farily cheap, defends the unit against chariots, gives him a nice pro-active defense, and contributes a lot to the unit. And if they fail a stupidity test now and again, it's usually not super-critical.

Oh, another thing I forgot earlier: It's best in units that can be expected to get bogged down in combat, as opposed to shock troops supposed to get in and finish the job in a round. First, if you'll be charging all the time, you don't need it's benefits. Also, it's important to remember that you don't acutally test of stupidity every single round, only the rounds the bearer isn't in close combat. So by keeping it in a unit expected to stay in close combat for extended periods of time (i.e. an anvil), you negate a lot of its drawbacks.

It's fairly obvious a lot of it but I like to listen to myself lecture. :p

starlight
03-02-2009, 22:12
Play nice or don't Post. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Warnings have been issued.

The next transgression will result in the Thread being Closed and may result in Bannings.

starlight
The Warseer Inquisition

FredNo1
04-02-2009, 08:36
One of the best players i know, field many units of mounted chaos maruders, and always has a hero with the helm of many eyes, often at a place where it will hurt the most.

Neckutter
04-02-2009, 08:48
ew, no one brings the helm of many eyes anymore. :)
that is sooo 6th edition. :)

its all about the tzeentch sorc on disc of doom sucking everything into the warp with infernal gateway! PEW PEW!