PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk

Brother Constantine
02-02-2009, 15:42
I am having a hard time deciding on which Chapter to use for my Space Hulk Terminators. There are so many awesome options that I am spoiled for choice :confused:

At the present I am torm between:

TheDeath Wing: Because of their glorious history of successful Hulk cleansing missions, cool background and FW upgrades.

Space Wolves: For the same reasons as the DW.

and Chaos: Because I think the FW World Eaters upgrades and Lord Zhufor model are unbelievably cool.

I would really appreciate any opinions that may help me decide which direction to go in. :chrome:

marv335
02-02-2009, 16:18
there is only one chapter suitable for the hardcore Space Hulk player,
Blood Angels
:D

Hicks
02-02-2009, 16:36
I agree with marv335, Blood Angels are what I think of when someone says spacehulk. But from your list, I'd say that the Space Wolves are my favorite choice. Cool backgroung, FW upgrades, they allow for lots of convertions and they are the only non-traitor choice.

blackroyal
02-02-2009, 16:42
If you're killing Genestealers, the Deathwing are for you.

whitewolfmxc
02-02-2009, 17:03
Space wolves for extra close combat awesome juice XD

Hellfury
02-02-2009, 17:19
While Deathwing and Blood angels are a truly classic example of what space hulk should be comprised of, recent fluff has trumped that in some ways.

Why send deathwing or bloodangels to thwart a xenos infestation when you could simply deploy...Deathwatch terminators? I can think of nothing else more suitable than the Ordo Xenos responding to such a threat.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than either DA or BA.

With that in mind, I hold my vote from the poll as it is incomplete.

Leunam
02-02-2009, 18:06
I'm working on some Space Hulk stuff myself, and I've decided to use Blood Angels.

That being said, there isn't much getting in the way of using other units. It would be nice to see Ork Meganobz and Chaos Terminators like you mentioned as alternates to Marines.

TheBigBadWolf
02-02-2009, 18:12
You have to go BA, as many have said for the true space hulk feel.

By the way is the space hulk stuff still up on GW website, I havent seen it since they swapped it to the crappy new one.

Lord Damocles
02-02-2009, 18:16
It would appear that GW in their great wisdom have got rid of the Space Hulk stuff they had (that or it's hiding somewhere illogical, which is always a possibility).

On topic: It's got to be the Blood Angels :D

Leftenant Gashrog
02-02-2009, 19:11
Blood Angels or Khorne worshipping Night Lords.

Why send deathwing or bloodangels to thwart a xenos infestation when you could simply deploy...Deathwatch terminators?

And your canon source for the Deathwatch possessing even a single suit of Terminator armour is..? ;)

Dogma
02-02-2009, 19:27
another vote for Blood Angels.

Brother Constantine
02-02-2009, 19:41
I would like to appologise for my grievous ommission of the Blood Angels from the poll :o My excuse is that I am currently reading Descent of Angels and was not thinking straight when I started this thread.

Now I am even more confused as to which Chapter to use. I find I am very influenced by Chapters Fluff/Novels etc... I loved the SW trilogy, I am enjoying the Dark Angels HH novel and Death Wing novel, Chaos appeal to my love of conversions, but the Blood Angels novels left me feeling unsatisfied.....

That being said, there are sure a lot of BA supporters here. Do you think that the Commander Cullin FW Terminator figure would make a sufficient BA Captain?

What tips could you offer me to help come to a decision on the issue of which Chapter to use? What worked for you?

Blood Angels or Khorne worshipping Night Lords.
And your canon source for the Deathwatch possessing even a single suit of Terminator armour is..? ;)

I am like wise confused Leftenant Gashrog :confused: This is not the first time I have heard talk of Death Watch Terminators. Do they exist? or are they that much of a secrete order that we just haven't heard of them yet?

Sir_Turalyon
02-02-2009, 19:47
Dark Angels. Thanks to their portrayal in first (The) Space Hulk computer game they are iconic Space Hulk chapter; I dare say more so then Blood Angles.

Leunam
02-02-2009, 19:53
That being said, there are sure a lot of BA supporters here. Do you think that the Commander Cullin FW Terminator figure would make a sufficient BA Captain?

Great model, definitely, but you would have to use the helmeted version. If I remember right, the slightest puncture in their armor was enough to kill a Terminator because of the vacuum in the Space Hulks. Someone feel free to correct me.

ankara halla
02-02-2009, 20:00
Dark Angels. Thanks to their portrayal in first (The) Space Hulk computer game they are iconic Space Hulk chapter; I dare say more so then Blood Angles.

Blood Angels were the prominent poster boys of the real game though. DA only got their time in the spotlight with the first computer game becouse the supplement of the board game also featured them and thus they were the hot flavour of the season.

Having said that, BA and DA are both poster boys of that Space Hulk feel us nostalgeeks are usually looking for. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go with whatever you (the OP) think would be cool for you. And as to Deathwatch termies, fluffwise, they haven't been introduced. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that somebody at the studio has yet to made them "official". Personally, I think it'd be a cool theme to make 'em DW termies.

Baaltharus
02-02-2009, 20:24
Great model, definitely, but you would have to use the helmeted version. If I remember right, the slightest puncture in their armor was enough to kill a Terminator because of the vacuum in the Space Hulks. Someone feel free to correct me.

Space Marines can survive for a limited time in hard vacuum. I'd also wager terminator armour would have some sort of emergency system to compensate for a breach in its intergrity even if it was a short term measure like a hardening plastic or foam.

precinctomega
02-02-2009, 20:40
And not all Space Hulks are hard vacuum. My new, WIP rules for a 5th Ed 40k conversion of Space Hulk (which are turning out to be more complicated than I had anticipated) allow for any army to go exploring in the deep dark.

The tiles, BTW, are still available to download on the GW OZ site, but hurry! GW websites worldwide are going over to the new layout by the end of this Financial Year, or so I'm more-or-less reliably informed.

R.

Ironmonger
02-02-2009, 20:42
Red scorpions!!! a la The Anphelion Project.

Hellfury
02-02-2009, 20:44

Ahh yes, my imagination must of course be curtailed by the ever changing 'canon' of GW fluff.

They don't say they have them, nor do they say that they do not.

You can drink the kool aid, but I would rather not. GW's brand kool aid tastes like stale ass.

Brother Constantine
02-02-2009, 20:53
The Space wolves had a stint in the spotlight for Space Hulh as well. I hope you have not all forgotten the WD Space Hulk supplements that introduced them to the latest addition along with air vents :eek:
So I would say that Space Hulk's major iconic Chapters in order would have to be:

The Blood Angels
The Death Wing
And the Space Wolves

Ben
02-02-2009, 22:12
Those are the three big chapters. Ultras got a little love at some point, but they all got more. Are you using small based original terminators or big based new terminators?

brightblade
02-02-2009, 22:42
I vote Blood Angels too!

Brother Constantine
02-02-2009, 23:15
Those are the three big chapters. Ultras got a little love at some point, but they all got more. Are you using small based original terminators or big based new terminators?

I am going to go with big based Termis. I know that they don't fot on the SH tiles but I love the models and will have to figure out how to account for it. I am thinking that I will of course have SH themed bases and will use visual aids on the bases to indicate which square the model is on.

I can't believe how much love the BAs are getting!!! I wish I new how edit the poll to include them. Does anyone know if it can be done?

victorpofa
03-02-2009, 02:53
While I am a huge Space Wolf fan, I think Deathwing when I think Space Hulk. I had forgotten that Blood Angels were in the original game. Unfortunately Space Hulk was something I missed out on.

If it got a new release I would buy it.

Sleazy
03-02-2009, 10:43
Either Blood or Dark Angels.

Personally am doing squads of Dark Angels. Partly due to love for the Deathwing expansion and partly due to memories of that great story.

O&G'sRule
03-02-2009, 12:27
There is a rumour of it being redone for the end of the year, all new shiny stuff in a box. Would be interesting to see how it works without sustained fire dice, can't see them being in the rules

Leftenant Gashrog
03-02-2009, 12:54
Would be interesting to see how it works without sustained fire dice, can't see them being in the rules

Hopefully they'd just use the (superior) 1st edition rules which just used regular d6's all round.

Lord Malorne
03-02-2009, 13:04
Black Templar :D.

BaronDG
03-02-2009, 13:13
Pre-deathwing terminators!

Dark Angels, I mean...

Logarithm Udgaur
03-02-2009, 13:27
I voted Death Wing, but only because BA were not an option.

If you are looking for some cool BA fluff check out Bloodquest, it is undeniably the coolest loyalist SM story ever written.

TheBigBadWolf
03-02-2009, 14:16
And not all Space Hulks are hard vacuum. My new, WIP rules for a 5th Ed 40k conversion of Space Hulk (which are turning out to be more complicated than I had anticipated) allow for any army to go exploring in the deep dark.

The tiles, BTW, are still available to download on the GW OZ site, but hurry! GW websites worldwide are going over to the new layout by the end of this Financial Year, or so I'm more-or-less reliably informed.

R.

Can you post the link, I must be blind, I spent ages looking for the tiles on GW OZ and couldnt see them :)

On the space hulk chapter choice, I always think BA, due to the original game and Vengance of the Blood angels which me and my mates used to spend hours playing, killing a Genestealer in Close combat was nigh on impossible :D

[edit] found it http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/default.htm :o

rev
03-02-2009, 14:20
I made some deathwing spacehulk termies recently,

hope this helps you decide!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/revmatt/Minis/Deathwing/DSC_0014.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/revmatt/Minis/Deathwing/DSC_0017.jpg

They're now on 25mm square bases to fit spacehulk board squares.

rev

Brother Constantine
03-02-2009, 14:59
There is a rumour of it being redone for the end of the year, all new shiny stuff in a box. Would be interesting to see how it works without sustained fire dice, can't see them being in the rules

How awesome will that be!!!!!! I have not seen any real word of its arrival yet...Does anyone have a link to it being officially mentioned anywhere? Last time Space Hulk was mentioned by GW was in a WD article which was applying regular rules to a Space Hulk like mission and they said that Space Hulk would not be comming around again :cries: I think if a new SH does come out that it will have seperate rules from 40K, it would just make sence that way. I am excited about this prospect!!! There mat even be a platic board/map!!! how cool would that be!!?

I made some deathwing spacehulk termies recently,
hope this helps you decide!

Those ar great!!! Very clean job. They are definatly being considered in the pro Death Wing argument Thank you.

pookie
03-02-2009, 16:48
Black Templar :D.

Ditto! . . . .

But in close in 2nd Place would be Blood Angels.

Ubermensch Commander
03-02-2009, 19:11
Deathwing. Classic. Forgot those sissies in Red Armor. Go for the sissies in dresses!
haha no but seriously, Deathwing all the way.

tsutek
03-02-2009, 19:57
+1 for BA - I can't picture Space Hulk without them, red against blue (stealers used to be purple/blue).. classic!

And fluffwise, using Deathwatch termies might sound reasonable - However IIRC space hulks had to be engaged the moment they were spotted, no time for waiting for the DW to come mop it up.. So I'd say any marine chapter could be available for some hulk cleansing. But for me, there's always been only one.

TheBigBadWolf
03-02-2009, 20:08
How awesome will that be!!!!!! I have not seen any real word of its arrival yet...Does anyone have a link to it being officially mentioned anywhere? Last time Space Hulk was mentioned by GW was in a WD article which was applying regular rules to a Space Hulk like mission and they said that Space Hulk would not be comming around again :cries: I think if a new SH does come out that it will have seperate rules from 40K, it would just make sence that way. I am excited about this prospect!!! There mat even be a platic board/map!!! how cool would that be!!?.

Ive been checking out those rumors on the interweb, and I'm pretty excited about it, even my brother (who doesnt play minitures barr space hulk/space crusade and the odd BFG game) is excited about even the remote possibilty of a new space hulk. It would be a license for GW to print money :D

Brother Constantine
04-02-2009, 14:48
Bring it on!!!! I am waiting, money in hand!!!! :D

Whirligig beetle
04-02-2009, 14:51
Deathwing get my vote, they have some excellent backstories! You could make some cool Space hulk themed bases with some mesh.

Doomseer
04-02-2009, 15:36
Could you really overlook the Angels of Death? Surely It would have to be Blood Angels or Deathwing?!:D

KGreen1021
04-02-2009, 17:31
Converted Space Wolves would be awesome. They have their wolf hides and you can make their weapons look icy. They are also the most ferocious in close combat according to fluff. If you really felt like pushing it you could make them into the Wulfen Terminators. Just the idea of crazy bloodthirsty half mutated wolf terminators makes my mind explode from the sheer awesomeness of it all. This is just my opinion though.

ChaplainVarnus
04-02-2009, 18:11
Guardsmen. End of.

O&G'sRule
04-02-2009, 21:13
I've always thought space hulk shouldn't be a separate game to 40k. boards should have an area inside a building on them so its not all open warfare. It would make for awesome "building rules" to use it

Arcadian
04-02-2009, 22:52
I've always thought space hulk shouldn't be a separate game to 40k. boards should have an area inside a building on them so its not all open warfare. It would make for awesome "building rules" to use it

I am in agreement...
lets see what unfolds for the future...

ankara halla
04-02-2009, 23:16
There was a time, when GW released cardboard folding bunkers in WD's that also had squared up floorboards for them that could be used outside of the actual gaming board to determine which model was in what position in relation to the various vision/shooting slots and the door, but such times have long passed... May they rest in eternal glory.

Then again, a vast majority of players today wouldn't want to see any such rules additions, which would "bog the game down" , as it's put, since the vast majority prefer a streamlined, uncomplicated game, that in reality takes no longer to play than a game of RT/2nd, as long as one is willing to actually read the rules (which did take about two hours, which is an hour more than the modern streamlined rules take to read thru,,,) so as not to get bogged down with them.

Okay, nostalgia and sarcasm aside, the olden golden days were the haydays (IMHO, anyone is free to disagree and I'm cool with that... if anyone has a problem with any of that, take it to a thread that's dedicated for it, please), BUT, for pick up games with strangers and gamenights with beer and pizza, the current rules do work better than the RT/2nd era ones. It's simply a matter of pure preference, of which anyone prefers, but seriously, in the current climate, it would be extreamly naive to picture a future where the rules development team would take the game in any direction but "as fast as possible, with as many miniatures as possible".

It's just not going to happend. But again, that's not automatically a bad thing, since the current iteration of the rules serves it's purpose well enough.

And to finally to get back to the point, there is absolutely no reason anybody couldn't use rules from such things as Kill Teams or 40k in 40min to simulate such action inside a terrain board as O&G'sRule and Arcadian talk about. They were both written in the context that the current phase of 40k is developed for (ASM replaced by AP and all the rest of it...) so would be quite easy to adapt to a game of regular 40k.

If you can find them that is, but in the age we live in, it shouldn't be too hard...

Still, it's been a good idea for a game or a campaign to introduce different layers of immersion to a single game, as long as it's the players preference, since who ever first came up with it, but don't expect GW to accommodate you in any formal set of rules for such games in the near future. It's not a direction the system has been going for, for quite some time now.

Brother Constantine
06-02-2009, 18:50
For me alot of the appeal to Space Hulk comes from its uber simplified rules and fast paced play, I just want to focus on keeping my Termies alive long enough to complete the mission and have a good laugh with mates at the crazy tention you feel as Stealers charge into over watch fire!!! :skull:

The older incarnations of SH have heaps of rules to add depth to the game if that is what you are looking for, and I agree that there is nothing stopping you from using current 40K rules and SH tiles to add new dimensions to game play, it all comes down to what you want, and how much time you are willing to invest :)