PDA

View Full Version : Griffon or War Altar?

w3rm
02-02-2009, 19:48
Hello I am staring an Empire army and for my lord I either want a General on a Griffon or a War Altar. I'll list some pro's and con's that I see and maybe you guys could help me out.

Griffon Pro's:
-Terror
-Flying
- OK WS, Str, and A
- Fast
- General is a better fighter

Griffon Con's

-No save
-Cost- 398 pts for a nicely kitted General
-Large Target

Altar Pro's
-Golden Griffon; 'Nuff said
-Ward and Armour save for Lector
-MR
-Cost-334
-Prayers and dispel dice

Altar Con's
-Lector's not that good a fighter
-Large Target
-Strength 7 hits....

so from what I've seen the Griffon and Altar have the same amount of pro's and con's. But maybe I'm wrong. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Condottiere
02-02-2009, 20:07
I suspect it depends on your strategy; normally, I'd stick with an Archlector on a War Altar, it's conventional and tends to support the army.

The Griffon tends to commit you to attack.

Keller
02-02-2009, 20:14
Agreed. Depends on what you expect to do with your army.

If you play more defensively, relying on ranged attacks to soften up enemies while they come to you to engage, the Alter would be better suited.

If you are more agressive, charging up the field or trying to outmanuever your oppenent, the Griffon might be better.

Of the two, odd as it is to my tactics, I prefer the Griffon. I just never really got behind the Alter, even with a more religious themed army.

decker_cky
02-02-2009, 20:17
The griffon isn't really a choice since it removes the general from providing leadership, and it puts a terrible fighter in a position where he'll be fighting.

On the other hand, the war altar is dirt cheap, helps with the magic phase, can handle most major threats in combat VHS challenge to move away most characters). It provides a 4+ ward save to the rider, and it hits like a chariot. At 150 pts, the war altar would be a bargain. As it stands, it's amazing.

w3rm
02-02-2009, 20:25
War Altar is only 100 pts....

solvay
02-02-2009, 20:36
hes saying it would still be good even if it was 150 points

and id also say the war alter since it helps your amy out more with its special rules and can still do ok in combat.. especially with the speculum

Neckutter
02-02-2009, 20:41
war alter is super-powerful, whereas a griffon is lame. i used to take a griffon because only an elector count could take it, and an elector count gave one of your state troops a magic banner, which revolved around the then-50-point griffon banner. nowadays, i dont see the point.

take a archpriest on a waralter. or better yet, take the special char on the war altar.

w3rm
02-02-2009, 22:00
Don't even mention spec charachters I hate 'em!

w3rm
02-02-2009, 22:04
Looks like war altar it is.

The Red Scourge
03-02-2009, 09:30
Go with what you want.

The alter is the strongest most reliable of the two. It protects your general (and his Ld bubble). You gain a ward save, dispel dice, etc. etc. And the thing is unique to the empire army. With VHS and some good armour, your Walter is ready to handle those nasty deathstars.

The griffon on the other hand has coolness and big claws... and wings... a sharp beak...and... ..and noone else uses it, so it would be unique to you and not just the empire ;)

Personally I've never gone with the "best" of choices, but instead I prefer those appealing to me – and they usually do pretty good then, as you are forced to learn how to use them.

innerwolf
03-02-2009, 09:54
I think the Griffon would be useable if it came with some sort of barding( 5+ save) and a point reduction ( around 175 points).
Manticores are 200 points and same statline as Griffons, but come with Killing Blow(worth 25 points) and can be taken by heroes.
Abisal Terror has 1 less attack but cost 135 points( and even then not a lot of people use them).

I think Griffons are very cool and characteristic for Empire armies, but they are too weak compared to other monsters.

Gazak Blacktoof
03-02-2009, 10:47
Go with what you want.

Excellent advice.

Either choice is going to dictate the composition of the remainder of your army whether you are atemtping to create a highly competitive army or a themed force.

w3rm
03-02-2009, 22:26
well its settled I'm getting a griffon I'm gonna use the non-emperor model because i hate the karl franz one and the position of it is sweet!