PDA

View Full Version : A trully crazy idea...

Da Black Gobbo
02-02-2009, 22:21
Hey Folks! after reading my copy of the new Lizzies army book i got a real crazy idea with that maybe i'll do in a not so long future here it goes:

The thing is this, the new army book of the lizzies have lots of cool/good shooting units beeing the skinks (in all variants) my fav units so i thought what about doing a Tzeench daemonic army counting as lizardmen?? crazy i know but plenty of modeling posibilities the ideas i got are the next ones:

--Skinks?? no more we have pink/blue horrors that shoot bolts of poisoning fire.

--Ranked skinks with kroxigors: they become ranked horrors with spawns!!!

--Razordons/salamanders: some kind of shooting spawns.

--Terradons??: nope i think flying discs with horrors might be better!!!

--Stegadons and god engine?: Now is a big big big and nasty spawn that has some cool powers or is just a real mad beast in CC.

--Skink chiefs or skink shammans are now tzeench heralds!!

--The big fat frog now might be a lord of change with different form ( i havent really think about this one but keep thinking)

All i need is time money and lots of horrors and spawn kits. Well you guys after all this madness, don't look at my this way...its cool isn't it?? :p what do you think?? am i mad??

w3rm
03-02-2009, 01:35
I'm not a big fan of count as armies. IMO play one or the other. But if u like it go 4 it.

Dokushin
03-02-2009, 01:39
I have seen close to a dozen such ideas; it's very strange to me that there's all of a sudden such an interest in fielding Chaos models as Lizardmen troops. Can't decide what that means.

sigur
03-02-2009, 01:41
Doesn't sound crazy at all as it's something people always come up with when a new army book is released. They want an army, like the zomgawesometastic new army book much, much more so they think it would be a good idea to use the rules.

Thing is, it makes you really, really look like you just think the new rules are "stronger" than the proper army list to use which doesn't make you look like a nice person. I'm with w3rm here - i'm not fond of whole counts-as armies, ESPECIALLY if a.) the army you want to play has a perfectly fine, new army book and b.) the rules you want to use are the latest army book. If you would want to play Chaos Dwarfs and use the Dwarfs list; no complaints from my side. If you want to play Dogs of War or even Cathay and use the Empire list for that, alrighty. But this idea of yours just... no. It just sounds too off. I'm not saying that you are all about the idea that the new army book must be stronger and will win you more battles or something but it just seems to incredibly wrong and it will annoy people.

Wow, the more I think about it, the worse is the smell of this idea. Seriously, don't do it. It's not crazy, it's not fun, it's not fluffy, it's not clever and it definately won't make you friends.

vampires are cool!
03-02-2009, 01:42
If i say yes, will you post a plog?

Wargamejunkie
03-02-2009, 02:09
I wouldn't say crazy as much as confusing.

Lord Inquisitor
03-02-2009, 02:21
I'm not too much of a fan of this idea. While I'm all for "counts as" armies, taking one army and counting them as another army seems redundant. Taking carnisaurs or stegadons and turning them into Eldar exodites would be cool as hell - obviously they would have to "counts as" something-or-other in the Eldar army.

But using the Lizardmen army book to field unconverted Chaos Daemons units? What's wrong with counting Horrors as Horrors?

chivalrous
03-02-2009, 03:27
No problem, so long as everything was on an appropriately sized base.

Kerill
03-02-2009, 04:59
I have seen close to a dozen such ideas; it's very strange to me that there's all of a sudden such an interest in fielding Chaos models as Lizardmen troops. Can't decide what that means.
It means the WOC book is dull and daemons are overpowered.

I'll be doing this too btw :) although with a mixture of chaos and lizardmen models because it fits my fluff better.

http://www.pyramidvault.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2894

fluffstalker
03-02-2009, 05:48
Do whatever you want, as long as its acceptable with opponents. In a tournament I would ask the organizers.

Simple as that. Its your army, after all.

Hicks
03-02-2009, 06:09
Go for it, people are going to enjoy playing against that a lot more than against actual daemons.

Urgat
03-02-2009, 07:04
Doesn't sound crazy at all as it's something people always come up with when a new army book is released. They want an army, like the zomgawesometastic new army book much, much more so they think it would be a good idea to use the rules.

Thing is, it makes you really, really look like you just think the new rules are "stronger" than the proper army list to use which doesn't make you look like a nice person. I'm with w3rm here - i'm not fond of whole counts-as armies, ESPECIALLY if a.) the army you want to play has a perfectly fine, new army book and b.) the rules you want to use are the latest army book. If you would want to play Chaos Dwarfs and use the Dwarfs list; no complaints from my side. If you want to play Dogs of War or even Cathay and use the Empire list for that, alrighty. But this idea of yours just... no. It just sounds too off. I'm not saying that you are all about the idea that the new army book must be stronger and will win you more battles or something but it just seems to incredibly wrong and it will annoy people.

Wow, the more I think about it, the worse is the smell of this idea. Seriously, don't do it. It's not crazy, it's not fun, it's not fluffy, it's not clever and it definately won't make you friends.

That being said, he wants to field demons as LM. I don't really think that is because he thinks he's going to have a more powerful army...

Condottiere
03-02-2009, 07:58
It might be a little confusing, but I don't see anything objectionable in it.

Braad
03-02-2009, 09:27
If you want it, do it.

Personally though, I think counts as armies are fine, if you wish to field something non-existent, something you made up yourself, or maybe some old army that is not available anymore. But fielding one army with models of another army that has just a perfect viable list, seems a bit odd to me, and confusing for opponents.

Lizardmen just don't have the right rules to represent a daemon army, if you ask me.
Skinks as heralds? Are heralds that weak and do they run so easily? Also, won't you be missing certain daemon specific stuff, like the loosing of models when you loose combat, daemon ward saves...
Your stuff also doesn't have magical attacks anymore. And your heralds will become very likely to flee, being skinks, which is very un-daemon-like.

If you do this because you wish to field certain units like you propose but go with another list because they are not available in your own, I'd rather have you use the daemon list itself and houserule some new units, as that would likely fit the fluff and feel of the army much better.

Da Black Gobbo
03-02-2009, 10:36
Well the main reason i'm doing this is because i love daemons but i don't like at all the new book, (it suck to me, not for being bad is just i dont like it). And i'm looking at the skinks themme counting as horrors because i don't think horrorrs must be powerfull, i look at them as an anoying and fast little bugger just like the skinks, about magic the engine of the gods makes me think about some kind of big spawn (the forgeworld one maybe) with some horrors on his back trhowing "magic bolts" and using magic (the powers of the engine) to help the army. It is not about "i want to do a cheesse army so i'm taking the latest book and the daemons models, its more for modelling and having fun. I'll start a blog as long as i get a bunch of spawn kits to start working with.

See ya!

Fredmans
03-02-2009, 11:01

I think it means that people have invested a load of in an army that almost inevitably people in their surroundings will comment negatively on. To remedy the situation, they turn their into an army that less people will regard with hostility.

As for the OP:s idea, I think every counts-as army benefit from conversions, like the Forgeworld Spawn idea posted later on, if only to make things clear or "feel" right. There is nothing more frustrating than to constantly forget what your opponent actually is fielding and being taken by surprise in later turns or critical moments. Now why did I ever charge that unit?

/Fredmans

Rubicon
03-02-2009, 12:46
I'm not a big fan of count as armies. IMO play one or the other. But if u like it go 4 it.

This^^ I agree with

badgeraddict
03-02-2009, 14:29
It might be a little confusing, but I don't see anything objectionable in it.

I second that.

Ethlorien
03-02-2009, 14:30
Hey, if it's what you want to do then I say go for it. Sounds fun and that's all that matters. I'd have no problems with it.

galad
03-02-2009, 15:06
If you are going to do it so you can test out a new army before you shell out a load of money on new mini's that's fine. I could live with it if you are doing it because no one will play your demon army. If you do a full conversion on your army so they somehow represent lizards i could be talked into it. But generally I am against this and I would not want to play an army like this in a tourney. It's confusing and as someone who spent the time and money on four armies I am against it. I guess i could have just bouhgt one army and every time a new army book came out just said ok now my army is this.