PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite phycic power

Popsicle
02-02-2009, 22:29
Personally I like the eldar farseer powers especially guide and doom

loveless
02-02-2009, 22:31
Ugh...I forget the name exactly. It's one of the Dark Angel powers. Mind Worm?

The description of it makes it my favorite. Its uses in game are questionable, but the the fluff behind it is ace.

Ganymene
02-02-2009, 23:42
DOOOOOM!

..and the other Eldar psychic powers. I also like the Dark Angels power (Force Dome?) where you pass an invulnerable save on a successful psychic test.

Phenski
03-02-2009, 00:08
I like Nurgles Rot esp against the current trend of horde armies... being tied up in combat against a T5 monstrosity and nuking all enemy models in 6" in the shooting phase.. so fun!!!!

Bathawk
03-02-2009, 00:10
I like the Librarian power gateway of infinity, plan on warping in a squad of Terminators behind enemy lines

Napoleon Blownapart
03-02-2009, 00:20
Runes of witnessing. Seriously.. head explode!

Wiseman
03-02-2009, 00:23
Mind Worm, for the reasons stated above.

Lord Inquisitor
03-02-2009, 00:28
Um... Let me think, oh yeah - Lash. You can't beat shoving your opponent's models around against his will! :evilgrin:

Lord Cook
03-02-2009, 00:51
Do mystics psychic detection of incoming threats count as a 'power'?

"Oh, your terminators have just made a deep strike in front of my line? Here, have a demolisher shell in the face before you're allowed to Run and spread out."

MrBigMr
03-02-2009, 01:05
Telepathic Command FTW!

Might not be anything fancy, but extending that HSO's Ld. up to 18" will make a difference to a Guard army, believe me.

MasterDecoy
03-02-2009, 01:09
Synapes- Seriously the most OP psycic power in the game :P

Rydmend
03-02-2009, 01:27
Synapes- Seriously the most OP psycic power in the game :P

QFT

accept giving fearless to gaunts......it just makes them die.

CommissarKlink
03-02-2009, 02:19
Zogwort's Curse

rintinglen
03-02-2009, 02:34
I personally loath the "psychic" aspect of the game. I view it as a wretched import from D&D that has no place in the 41st millenium. Too many of the powers are so badly costed that they break the game by giving one army or another a decided and unfair advantage. I used to play Worldeaters, just so I could break out the collar of Khorne to ignore such foolishness.

Usopreme
03-02-2009, 03:50
I loved fear of the darkness and wish it didn't get the axe. I know people hated it but it was such a funny power.

Refyougee
03-02-2009, 03:57
Fortune. Makes a 4+ Save be halfway as good between a 3+ and 2+, makes a 3+ better than a 2+. Makes a 2+ save 49 out of 50 shots, but that only applies to Pathfinders in Cover or Phoenix Lords.

Slap it on some Wraithguard with a Conceal Warlock and you have something ridiculously tough to kill.

Lash is also an incredily powerful power and the only reason I don't find it better than Fortune is because Mechanized lists largely tend to ignore it and I field those very often.

Curufew
03-02-2009, 03:58
Elritch storm. Nothing beats spinning a vehicle round and round

Rydmend
03-02-2009, 03:59
I would never use it due to its point cost but Gift of Chaos seems like it could be really fun. I just imagine turning a guardsman into a spawn and then causing the whole squad to break in CC with it.

IrishDelinquent
03-02-2009, 04:02
Psychic Scream. A -1 penalty to all enemy leadership tests hurts, especially when you can take 5 models with the same power. Even Space Marines flee like girlie men when they take tests at -5.

Johnnyfrej
03-02-2009, 04:07
I'm going to take the deviant route and choose my Culexus's anti-psyker powers.

Lash of Pain? Don't think so.
Doom, Fortune? Think again.
Force Weapons? Denied.

I dunno why people think the Culexus is the "weakest" assassin. He hasn't let me down nearly as much as ol' Roll-Ones the Vindicare.

Edit: Fixed the name error, sorry but it's late and I'm tired.

Kelderaith
03-02-2009, 04:12
I'm going to take the deviant route and choose my Eversor's anti-psyker powers.

I think you meant Culexus here.

Hard time between Doom and Psychic Scream myself. I really like the 2nd because of how it "should" impact the game, instead of how it does presently.

carldooley
03-02-2009, 04:34
shokk attack gun - not a psychic power, but fun rules.

zealot!
03-02-2009, 04:36
lash is great but i think doom is the best b/c of the options it opens up for an eldar player

mchmr6677
03-02-2009, 04:44
I would say that while I love farseers with doom (I have 2 at 1500pts with 4 mech bladestorming avenger squads) and fearless insta-gib immune Nids, I have recently found insane success with a new comer to the psychic table, Null Zone. A 100pt librarian that forces all Daemons within 24" of his landraider to re-roll passed invulnes is nasty. Throw in Might of the Acients and you have a 4 attack hive tyrant on the charge, even against vehicles.

Hicks
03-02-2009, 05:21
There's nothing better than Warp Blasting a transport and then tearing the passengers apart with a tyrant with talons.

Fantastica
03-02-2009, 06:01
for power? the old SM libby Power that was Similar to warp time, but let you reroll saves and pretty much anything involving the libby and dice
hello mr. Bike-riding, thunderhammer wielding, articifer armour wearing, iron halo sporting Psychic engine of destruction

but for sheer fun / rule of cool (and we all know that's what really counts)
Gift of Chaos, because c'mon. what's more devilishly entertaining that the prospect of having your little robed sorcerer stride up to that giant Carnifex/Wraithord/Nightbringer/Heirophant/ >insert extra-huge Gribbley creature with screaming rubber pants of doom< and turn it into a chaos spawn doingyour bidding with just a roll of a 6?

canit happen? hells yeah!
Does it happen? perhaps once per chaos Player, per codex cycle... perhaps twice if you're a megalomaniacal nutter like me and take this power just because you can.

does the above stated horrible odds horrible odds make people not take Gift of Chaos?
of course not!

Deadshane
03-02-2009, 06:05
POWER VOMIT!

-2nd edition ork weirdboy power.

Oathwarden
03-02-2009, 07:20
Hellfire on a DW termie librarian. yes I've had the str 0 ap 6 rolls(or my favorite str 2 ap1) but that things been fun. Mind wormed a deamon prince in an apoc game was teamed up with a rad inquisitor army Culexus dropped its ld to 7 Ezekiel was outside the bubble and the demon begins to repent its millenium of sins

Born Again
03-02-2009, 10:02
what's more devilishly entertaining that the prospect of having your little robed sorcerer stride up to that giant Carnifex/Wraithord/Nightbringer/Heirophant/ >insert extra-huge Gribbley creature with screaming rubber pants of doom< and turn it into a chaos spawn doingyour bidding with just a roll of a 6?

And the answer is...

Zogwort's Curse

True, turning models into Spawn is fun, but turning them into Squigs is just that little bit better :evilgrin:

POWER VOMIT!

-2nd edition ork weirdboy power.

Ah, yes. Some of the classic Ork powers did seem to get left out of the Weirdboyz return, didn't they? My current favourite would have to be Zzap!, that thing is a sure tankbuster, also handy for killing pesky characters. But the good old days of Power Vomit and Stomp... how can you beat having Gork (or possibly Mork) stomping his big green foot on the enemy's head?

genestealer_baldric
03-02-2009, 10:17
apprentley a =][= has a pyker buddy that can "sense" incomming drop pods and so you can shoot them down. :)

if my mates lying to me and making that up my votes also got to be zogworts curse. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy turning lysander into a squig and chasing him around the board, i dont think ive giggled so much in a while after doing that.

bishamon_o
03-02-2009, 10:24
my fave got to be gift of chaos, but only if used by ahriman.
against low toughness armies you can create a wall of spawn from turn 3 onwards. :)

Tarquinn
03-02-2009, 10:26
Fortune, then Guide.

StormWulfen
03-02-2009, 10:42
gift of chaos! that is so fun to use on enemy commanders:evilgrin:

Lord Solar Plexus
03-02-2009, 10:45
I actually had to look up whether IG has any psychic powers. I'll come back to you later when I have made up my mind which of these awesome abilities is my favou....*ZZZZZZ*

Regarding my Space Wolves, the best psychic power is undoubtedly Stormcaller. Granted, having only one in the first place is incredibly helpful to separate the wheat from the chaff. :)

All the enemy powers I like not.*

...Gift of Chaos seems like it could be really fun. I just imagine turning a guardsman into a spawn and then causing the whole squad to break in CC with it.

That might not happen though since you cannot place the Spawn in b2b and it cannot assault when it appears. What you can do is turn officers and heavy weapon troopers into Spawn (although in the case of the latter this would take two turns). Breath is so much better here.

*Except all the Ork powers. It's too funny when the weirdboy teleports onto my HH again. And again.

lupercal93
03-02-2009, 10:52
pyscic powers are awesome, goin bak to 3rd ed when they ruled the game. sounds awesome to me, but then again i play fantasy and always take magic heavy armies WOOT for vampires and chaos. =]

but as for the best, current, pyscic power is deffintly zogwarts curse closely followed by wind war(Eldar) and wind worm (DA). i think thats what they called, i mean what beat turning abbadon to a brainless blabering thing or a squig nothing! lol 30pts for pyscic power just paid for it self and the character, woo. and nice my friend never takes librians im converting up a squig with a targeter eye and a stupid crue cut with the gauntlet of ultramar at its feet. any guess at who just got squigified? :D:D

O&G'sRule
03-02-2009, 12:24
The Horror when used by the Dominatrix (see BOLS Lords of battle v2), thats just nasty

Inach
03-02-2009, 12:27
my fave got to be gift of chaos, but only if used by ahriman.
against low toughness armies you can create a wall of spawn from turn 3 onwards. :)
+1

And priceless when it works on a Ctan / Farseer / ...

backslide
03-02-2009, 12:36
avernger.. closly followed by nullzone

Logarithm Udgaur
03-02-2009, 12:56
apprentley a =][= has a pyker buddy that can "sense" incomming drop pods and so you can shoot them down. :)

It sounds like you mate is having you on. Do they play WH or DH?

As far a Psychic powers go, whatever power(s) the Primas Psycher gets.

Azhrarn
03-02-2009, 13:12
It sounds like you mate is having you on. Do they play WH or DH?

As far a Psychic powers go, whatever power(s) the Primas Psycher gets.

Ehm, his mate is right I think. The retinue psykers voor the inquisition allow you to get a free bit of shooting at any opponents deepstriking in his range, and droppods do just that. Won't shoot them down, but throwing a hail of fire at some marines that just dropped onto the table can be pretty useful.

As for my personal favorites:
Breath of Chaos. (hello flamer that always wounds on a 4+ with no armor save)

Boon of Mutation (turn target into spawn on failed T-test, no saves of any kind)
This can be extremely nasty with the blue scribes, popping 2 of them out every turn if the dice agree with you.

Pavane of Slaanesh (more balanced version of Lash, shorter range and less movement, but still very handy)

Technically none of these are psychic powers as far as the rules are concerned though (daemons don't do psychic tests, I just have lots of shooting attacks)

slasher
03-02-2009, 13:15
Actually the DH do. (in fluff) in Game play they get a free unit shoot at any thing that DS's within 2D6 of them.

Edit: beaten to it. :(

OT - Hammer of Witches, D6 enemy psychers take a peril of the warps test (although not as good now that they can take Inv saves.

kalspriggs
03-02-2009, 13:29
My favorite? Psychic hood. Because nothing says 'sit down and shut up' like Tigurus wearing one.

Unless, of course, Tigurus gets turned into afore mentioned squig... drat.

Logarithm Udgaur
03-02-2009, 13:39
So they have an auspex, it still does not allow them to shoot down drop pods.

Back to the topic, I thought of a current power. Psychic Apocalypse from the section of their codex that the WH do not want us to know about (free overpowered psychic power, oh yea!).

elvinltl
03-02-2009, 13:45
Veil of Tears... Until now there are ppl who do not know this Spell Harlequins have.Everytime when i plonk my Harlequins in an open field, my opponents will still be tempted to shoot those juicy glass cannons.

As soon as they declare firing upon my Harlequins using some uber shooting unit (Obviously more then 24"), I go...

TRAP CARD ACTIVATED! THIS SPELL VEIL OF TEARS FORCES OPPONENT FIRING AT THEM TO......!

LOL... The look on their face is priceless. :D

laudarkul
03-02-2009, 14:23
Mystics power:D.

Lord Solar Plexus
03-02-2009, 15:47
So they have an auspex, it still does not allow them to shoot down drop pods.

What? Who's got an auspex? The mystics don't have any such item. They simply know where the enemy will appear.

I suggest you look at their entry in Codex: DH and/or the latest FAQ for them here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp;jsessionid=527B90AA55B8D23A066F856B0E2 F857F?categoryId=600005&pIndex=1&aId=3400019&start=2).

genestealer_baldric
03-02-2009, 16:13
I almost got kicked out an apocalpsye game by using one power. i had 5 hive tyrants, 3 tyrant guard 5 zonthropes so everything in 156" of the group had to take pining test which was the more than the whole battlefeild, due to the tyranid apocalyspe formation.

It was just a friendly game and some of them refused to take it but i thought it was very amusing causing 50,000 points to take a pining test :P

Thanatos_elNyx
03-02-2009, 16:59
I like Psychic Powers but I really wish my Chaos Sorcerors had sorcery. :(

the1stpip
03-02-2009, 17:26
The ones I usually taek include Wind of Chaos (for Chaos).

Null Zone and the template one for Space Marines.

Not too up on Eldar powers, but Fortune is bloody annoying

ReveredChaplainDrake
03-02-2009, 18:19
DH Holocaust. Why? Because it's very cinematic. The best-case scenario with it is to charge into overwhelming hordes, get surrounded when you can't kill them all, and then when all looks lost, drop a template on yourself that will all but wipe them out, but possibly kill you. Most. Epic. Power. Ever! :cool:

Ubermensch Commander
03-02-2009, 19:39
What Psychic power? I don't know...I play Dark Eldar so our choice of powers are somewhat on the slim side.
So my favorit power? The one that DOES NOT kick my butt from deployment zone to deployment zone and back again! haha

Although Fury of the Ancients has a soft spot in my heart for originally being a Salamanders power.
Into the Fires of Battle, Unto the Anvil of War!

Most Eldar and Nid powers pretty cool too, even if some of them are not actually that useful.
Catalyst? You mean the huge ol' critter is dead and STILL scyhing/rending me? ahhhh mannnnnn! hahhhah....amusing and sometimes frustrating all at the same time.

Popsicle
05-02-2009, 01:23
Even better give a farseer a spirit stone take guide and doom. Then in your shoot phase use guide to re roll failed hits and doom to re roll failed wounds. :)

tacoo
05-02-2009, 01:29
mine is the eldar psychic power mind war, i mean ffs it brought my deceiver down to 1 wound in a single turn. needless to say farseers are enemy number 1 to me now, with zolgwort coming into 2nd with his little ability, idc if you spent 500 pts on that triked out guy, hes an attack squig now

Angelus Mortis
05-02-2009, 02:35
DH Holocaust. Why? Because it's very cinematic. The best-case scenario with it is to charge into overwhelming hordes, get surrounded when you can't kill them all, and then when all looks lost, drop a template on yourself that will all but wipe them out, but possibly kill you. Most. Epic. Power. Ever! :cool:

I second Holocaust but because its effective. Nothing will wipe the smirk off your opponents face better after a flurry of S6 Power Weapon attacks, but to toast the rest with a pie plate. In melee no less. Oh, and btw, you dont have to drop it on yourself, you can place it BtB with the Brother-Captain. I rarely catch my own models with it (save the BC who only suffers a partial).

ChaplainVarnus
05-02-2009, 09:28
Perils Of The Warp. I was saved from a gruelling series of Farseer phases on turn one by perils ripping out her soul. Priceless.

Doomseer
05-02-2009, 09:53
Doom, closely followed by Fortune.

The absolute misery they have caused time and again!:evilgrin:

Ethriel
05-02-2009, 14:58
My personal Favorite is rolling a 1, for the psychic power of a Sanctioned Psyker....No usable power. Why? You may ask, it is because i always give my Sanctioned Psykers Force weapons, and then i always forget to use any of the Psyker powers...or when I do remember it forces me to forget whatever tactically brilliant plan I had in mind. So all you guys with your Space Marine Librarians, Farseers, bring it. Its a 37 pt model, that could potentially kill a carnifex in one hit.

Ethriel

Grazzy
05-02-2009, 16:03
My favourite is shrouding for grey knights - not strictly a psychic power but whatever.

I love doom when playing with eldar.

Xandros
05-02-2009, 18:25
I find the force weapon power to be awesome. IDD at I5 is very intimidating and highly entertaining. For pure effectiveness, I love warptime for the power it gives sorcerers of Tzeentch.

marv335
05-02-2009, 18:26
Old Zogworts curse.
Turning a C'tan into a squig is just too funny
:D

hot pepper
05-02-2009, 18:50
The Space Marine Librarian, Vortex of doom, is quite satisfying when the dice rolls go with you.

Radium
05-02-2009, 18:55
Mind War.

Frying peoples minds really funny, and it screws people the absolute wrong way when you kill the powerfist toting guy just before you waltz in with a wraithlord.

Grubnar
05-02-2009, 21:43
FOOT OF GORK (or maybe Mork).

But since that is no longer in the rules I will go with the Eldar Farseer power, mind war!