PDA

View Full Version : Focus familiar

Chain
03-02-2009, 01:06
Was just wondering if a Sorceress could cast her spells through a focus familiar without being in the front rank.

so is it possible?

Asmodiseus
03-02-2009, 01:16
Nope as page 73 specifically forbids wizards from casting spells if they are not in the front rank of a unit.

Chain
03-02-2009, 01:27
No surprise, but was wondering if that rule could be bended with the familiar.
Though I suppose that would also be stretching it with an already buffed up army.

It's no fun to play what everyone else want to play.(though makes GW's priority higher for new models so there's still something good in it)

theunwantedbeing
03-02-2009, 01:43
Nope as page 73 specifically forbids wizards from casting spells if they are not in the front rank of a unit.

Using magic items you mean. (fighting position or front rank as well.....)
That's what prevents it.

Asmodiseus
03-02-2009, 01:56
Not casting spells is what prevents it otherwise you would be allowed to cast any non LOS spells from the back rank regardless of if you had a focus familiar or not.

loveless
03-02-2009, 04:06
Not casting spells is what prevents it otherwise you would be allowed to cast any non LOS spells from the back rank regardless of if you had a focus familiar or not.

Not being able to cast spells is what prevents you from casting non-LOS spells from the back rank.

Not being able to use magic items prevents you from circumventing the above rule by using the Focus Familiar.

Asmodiseus
03-02-2009, 04:37
Not being able to cast spells is what prevents you from casting non-LOS spells from the back rank.

Not being able to use magic items prevents you from circumventing the above rule by using the Focus Familiar.

It doesnt really matter because obviously she cant cast spells either way, but out of curiosity lets pretend that the stipulation about magic items was not in the rules. How could she cat a spell?

Rule on page 73 states:

As long as the character remains in the back ranks, he can not fight (Even with a spear), or use magic or magic items

Ok lets ignore the part in Red Now the rules for the focus familiar

The Focus familiar allows the wielder to cast spells from a different position on the battlefield. Place a marker at the start of each Dark Elf magic phase within 6" of the Sorceress and at least 1" away from enemies. She may use this position to determine range and LOS, whether she counts as in combat or not

it doesnt stipulate that it overrides the rule for not casting in the back rank.

And to respond to any future comments I agree this is a completely dumb pointless post and yes I am extremely bored:p

Lordmonkey
03-02-2009, 07:24
it doesnt stipulate that it overrides the rule for not casting in the back rank.

It doesn't need to... because of that part in red.

And to respond to any future comments I agree this is a completely dumb pointless post and yes I am extremely bored:p

I agree? :rolleyes:

Gazak Blacktoof
03-02-2009, 10:20
but out of curiosity

Please don't. There's enough confusion with the actual rules without creating a hypothetical debate.