PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on new Space Wolves models

Draxas
03-02-2009, 07:09
So, we know that we're getting a new Space Wolves codex this year. I'm in the process of reading the Space Wolf Omnibus right now and love all the flavor behind the chapter, I just can't wait so many months to start building the army. This presents a dilemma, as I don't want to buy models that are likely getting new releases later this year.

So the question is, which units do you all think are, logically, likely to be replaced? I would guess that they'd keep the current Blood Claws and Grey Hunters, as they're plastic and they're perfectly fine models besides. Forgeworld has some really cool kits to convert regular Terminators into SW Termies, and they look awesome, so no need for a new model there. Likewise, FW also has some nice kits to wolf up vehicles and dreadnoughts, so not much need for a SW Venerable Dreadnought model or something similar. Scouts seem like a pretty good candidate, as they're metal, and they don't look so great IMO. Surely there will be more than one model release, some characters perhaps? Any other ideas on what new models might be due, and which ones are probably a safe bet to buy now?

As a secondary question I had on my mind, what's with the baby-blue armor on some of the models on the GW website? I thought the Wolves were grey? All the models in the 3rd edition codex were grey, but in the Lexicanum it lists their color as grey-blue: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Wolves I'm so confused! Is this something that varies amongst the Great Companies or what?

King Vyper
03-02-2009, 07:26
As a secondary question I had on my mind, what's with the baby-blue armor on some of the models on the GW website? I thought the Wolves were grey? All the models in the 3rd edition codex were grey, but in the Lexicanum it lists their color as grey-blue: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Wolves I'm so confused! Is this something that varies amongst the Great Companies or what?

I think that is more painters taking artistic silence with the Space Wolf paint scheme.

As for models, I don't think we are going to see a whole lot. Mainly Special Characters, maybe.

zombied00d
03-02-2009, 07:31
I imagine we'll see a new SW accessory sprue. The last one is kind of dated. And, a little on the skimpy side compared to the DA/BT ones.

Draxas
03-02-2009, 08:12
I imagine we'll see a new SW accessory sprue. The last one is kind of dated. And, a little on the skimpy side compared to the DA/BT ones.

I wasn't aware that there was an accessory sprue. It's not up on the GW website in any case.

By the way, can SW get a Land Raider Redeemer/Crusader? The entry in their Heavy Support section just says Land Raider. I'm assuming it literally means just that, but doesn't make much sense that they would be less equipped than other chapters.

dblaz3r
03-02-2009, 08:32
By the way, can SW get a Land Raider Redeemer/Crusader? The entry in their Heavy Support section just says Land Raider. I'm assuming it literally means just that, but doesn't make much sense that they would be less equipped than other chapters.

Check the GW website for the SW-FAQ, in it it says the vehicles and variants SW's can take. Yes on the Redeemer/Crusader.

Edit: Link (http://ca.games-workshop.com/whitedwarf/download/2006Errata/2006Erratta.htm).

spaint2k
03-02-2009, 08:49

The colour scheme was retconned at some point such that grey was the colour used before the Heresy, and post-Heresy units moved to a blue-grey. This view was upheld in Codex: Eye of Terror, when 13th Company squads used a markedly different grey to standard Space Wolves.

Steve

Brimstone
03-02-2009, 09:15

Depends on how many Land Raiders you're intending to buy, if it's just one I'd advise you to wait for the Space Wolf codex. ;)

As to models I'd avoid wolf scouts for now especially the newer versions although the 'old guy' versions are pretty cool.
Ragnar Blackmane IIRC is due for replacement as are most of the special characters.
I doubt any of the basic power armoured troopers will be invalidated but they might be supplemented by newer versions/new Wolf sprue.

t-tauri
03-02-2009, 09:24
I'm told the new plastic wolf sprue is a definite. I'd also expect a fairly extensive refit of the special characters like Orks received.

javgoro
03-02-2009, 09:49
Depends on how many Land Raiders you're intending to buy, if it's just one I'd advise you to wait for the Space Wolf codex. ;)

A-hum... I wonder what Brimstone is insinuating with that... :p

Born Again
03-02-2009, 09:53
I wouldn't expect FW conversion kits to stop GW making new Wolf termies, a few vehicle kits started as wolf models. And it hasn't stopped speculation of greatcoat Guard a few times either. I haven't heard anything to validate this, but I can't see any real reason they wouldn't make their own models if they wanted to.

Draxas
03-02-2009, 10:34
A-hum... I wonder what Brimstone is insinuating with that... :p

Yeah, the little winky smiley is definitely giving me pause. The variants of vehicles have been FAQ'd in for the current Codex already, so I don't see why they would be made unavailable in the future. Is Brimstone insinuating that Space Wolves might be getting their own variation of Land Raider here, or am I reading a bit too much into this perhaps?

javgoro
03-02-2009, 10:38
Yeah, the little winky smiley is definitely giving me pause. The variants of vehicles have been FAQ'd in for the current Codex already, so I don't see why they would be made unavailable in the future. Is Brimstone insinuating that Space Wolves might be getting their own variation of Land Raider here, or am I reading a bit too much into this perhaps?

Its the one possibility I was thinking. Otherwise, they may have some sort of variant rule, or the Emperor knows what. Maybe even an upgrade sprue. Dunno, but I guess well see... Brimstone... Can we bribe you with some pie, like we do with Harry? ;)

ZOMGBBQ
03-02-2009, 11:02
Nah Brimstone needs Eleventy Billion Virgins and a Desk Made from Mahogany from the Planet of Melkeor 7, where the Trees are Three Hundred Feet Tall and Breath FIRE!

But yeah, I can See Space Wolves getting a New Ragnar and Logan for sure, and perhaps 1 or 2 other new Special Characters (what I wouldn't give for Bjorn and Njarl to come back)

BlackIce
03-02-2009, 11:03
As to models I'd avoid wolf scouts for now especially the newer versions although the 'old guy' versions are pretty cool.

Does this mean they will revisit the notion of all the current plastic scouts not having any helmets because their heads wouldn't fit in one? (I think we're all dying for some easier headswaps for the poor lads) I admit it was a clever explanation was to why the most vunerable space marines never had any protection for their heads. Maybe I got my etiology wrong and their squared faces betray a special implant to reinforce their skulls to make up for this tradition?

victorpofa
03-02-2009, 20:39
You should be safe buying and building Grey Hunters and Blood Claws. Both of these kits come with the Space Wolf accessory sprue. I am greatly looking forward to an accessory sprue or two like the Dark Angels/Ravenwing ones.

Pure Speculation: With Brimstone's cryptic comment perhaps we will see a Land Raider Variant that holds 20 Blood Claws plus Wolf Guard squad leader for heavy assaults. :evilgrin: Maybe a Crusader with no sponsons. Just assault launchers and assault cannon. Would not even require a new kit.

Draxas
04-02-2009, 08:35
You should be safe buying and building Grey Hunters and Blood Claws. Both of these kits come with the Space Wolf accessory sprue. I am greatly looking forward to an accessory sprue or two like the Dark Angels/Ravenwing ones.

Pure Speculation: With Brimstone's cryptic comment perhaps we will see a Land Raider Variant that holds 20 Blood Claws plus Wolf Guard squad leader for heavy assaults. :evilgrin: Maybe a Crusader with no sponsons. Just assault launchers and assault cannon. Would not even require a new kit.

Yeah, I'm certain that I'm safe with the Grey Hunters and Blood Claws, they are mainstays of the chapter. If a more robust accessory sprue comes out afterward, I can always paint up some pelts or whatever and stick them on 'em. Various dreadnoughts should do as well, I can magnetize the weapons and such just in case. TH/SS wolfguard termies are a safe bet, even if they are almost 1 and a half times the cost of basically identical regular SM termies *grumble*. It was the Land Raider Crusader I wanted for these guys, but I can use a Drop Pod in the meantime; Brimstone's message is cryptic indeed.

genestealer_baldric
04-02-2009, 09:24
i want Hager to be in the new codex, yes i do know that he died. grumble.. grumble.. killing off one of the best chacters in the series..... ,he should have special food/drink rules e.g after a barrel of ale he get the countercharge rule with +2 attacks etc...