PDA

View Full Version : Uk vat

niceguyteddy
03-02-2009, 11:45
Does anyone know of a way to get around the VAT in the UK without actually going there?

spaint2k
03-02-2009, 12:23
Not sure what your question is supposed to mean.

If you buy something mail order and you're outside the UK (and the European Union), you are not supposed to pay VAT (try telling that to Forge World).

"Actually going there" though, would guarantee that you pay VAT at point of sale.

Steve

The Clairvoyant
03-02-2009, 12:28
Buy a company in an EC country. Get VAT registered. Buy goods from GW and save the 15% VAT. Then file VAT returns every 3 months. Of course you'll still have local VAT and duties to pay.

You can't get around the VAT in the UK by being here. Although you could if you happen to start up a qualifying charitable organisation and are using funds from charitable donations and use the goods for medical research or some such. That would allow you to apply for zero-rating of the supply.

Or you could just pay the VAT...

So basically, no you can't, sorry :(

Bunnahabhain
03-02-2009, 13:31
You can hope the economy carries on falling off a cliff, so the Government cuts VAT further....

LawrencePhillips
03-02-2009, 13:32
Register a UK LTD company and claim the VAT back.

But other than that, no. Forgeworld consider all transactions to takeplace in the UK and so all transactions are subject to 15% VAT. They're legally entitled to do this, but if you want this back, it is possible to claim it back. You have to write to HMRC and it takes months but for anything less than a few grand, it's not worth it.

niceguyteddy
03-02-2009, 13:50
I was doing some reading and saw you can get a refund as you leave some countries. Also military members can get VAT exclusion vouchers.

If Forge World is not supposed to charge the VAT is there any way to get those funds back? If they are collecting the monies are they passing it on to the government or keeping it?

Gazak Blacktoof
03-02-2009, 13:58
for anything less than a few grand, it's not worth it.

Isn't it? They're only going to give you money, not take it away.

Bunnahabhain
03-02-2009, 14:33
Isn't it? They're only going to give you money, not take it away.
For the time and effort of dealing with revenues and customs, you need to be getting a fair amount back, which means spending lots of money with FW. 300 of models could get you 45 back, which is probably a sensible minimum for the hassle of dealing with the grasping thieving useless .................................................. . fill in the rest of the rant here.......... so and so's at HMRC. It's bad enough in the UK, I dread to think what it will be like with time zones etc to contend with as well...

The_Outsider
03-02-2009, 15:12
If you think waiting on FW to actually cast your model and ship it, you could be waiting double that when dealing with customs.

Lesson to the wise: there are many things that entitle you money back in the UK (in this case, England specifically), but the hassle involved is often not worth it.

Laser guided fanatic
03-02-2009, 15:59
Or if you don't like one of your colleagues just write the payment of as a buisness expense in their name.

Gazak Blacktoof
03-02-2009, 16:25
Unless you're attempting to deal with HMRC around the end of the tax year I've found that they're normally very quick- it probably depends which office you have to deal with though.

As a non-UK resident I would imagine the process might be slower but its not as if you can't be getting on with the rest of your life while you're awaiting a reply.

the1stpip
03-02-2009, 17:29
You only pay VAT if you are VAT registered (ie, a company that makes more than 10,000 a year, I believe).

Problem is, to become an Indie seller, one of the requirements is to be VAT registered.

Laser guided fanatic
03-02-2009, 17:31
You only pay VAT if you are VAT registered (ie, a company that makes more than 10,000 a year, I believe).

Problem is, to become an Indie seller, one of the requirements is to be VAT registered.

No you pay VAT on everything you buy unless it's duty free.

The_Outsider
03-02-2009, 17:34
No you pay VAT on everything you buy unless it's duty free.

Of which lesiure items like GW/FW products are not, for those not in the know.

Chances are, if you don't live in the UK anything you order from here will not be VAT free.

Laser guided fanatic
03-02-2009, 17:38
Of which lesiure items like GW/FW products are not, for those not in the know.

Chances are, if you don't live in the UK anything you order from here will not be VAT free.

I don't know where every GW is but if there was one at an airport or port you could get stuff there duty free.

The_Outsider
03-02-2009, 17:41
I don't know where every GW is but if there was one at an airport or port you could get stuff there duty free.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the likelyhood of that happening is extremely low as to be almost non existant.

Laser guided fanatic
03-02-2009, 17:49
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the likelyhood of that happening is extremely low as to be almost non existant.

Probably, i wasn't exactly implying that heathrow was full of beards itching to get obliterators for cheap. (funny thought though). You would miss your plane all the time because the clock in the store would be broken and why would you bring yor models on holiday anyway?