PDA

View Full Version : Special tournament army. criticise plz.

Gharof von Carstein
03-02-2009, 11:37
To dedicate a special day where a city of ours was under siege some few hundred years ago a gaming club has organised a gaming day with scenarios to accompany the theme. another special thing. your list can be maximum 2009pts as thats what year it is right now :P so here is my list

vamp lord
-extra magic level
-master of the black arts
-forbidden lore
-summon ghouls
-flayed hauberk
-crown of the damned
-helm of commandment
= 445p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-book of arkhan
= 185p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-rod of flaming death
= 190p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-summon ghouls
-black periapt
= 160p

Ghouls+ghast x 14 = 120p
Ghouls+ghast x 14 = 120p
Ghouls+ghast x 15 = 128p
Ghouls+ghast x 10 = 88p

Dire wolves x5 = 40p
Dire wolves x5 = 40p

Corpse cart +balefire = 100p

Black knight x6, barding, standardbearer, musician + banner of the dead legion = 217p

Varghulf = 175p

total = 2008p

The ghouls are looking a bit thin i know. the smallest unit will be used as a bunker and nothing more. im planning to field my ghouls out of firing range for the first 2 turns to easily summon them up to more sturdy sizes. the dire wolves can be used for screening and flank manouvres while my black knights hope to bring the hurt. seeing as im encountering more and more regenerating opponents in the netherlands these days (and wood elves) i decided to bring a matchstick in the form of rod of flaming death. see how those guys like that!

eleveninches
03-02-2009, 12:24
Drop:
1 unit of ghouls
Black Knights
10 wolves
Drop the ghouls units down to 10 each

for:
Upgrade last vamp (periapt one) to BSB with drakkenhoff banner, and make him a combat vamp (infinite hatred, avatar of death)
13 Grave Guard (fc, banner of the dead legion) [lord and BSB goes in here, lol]
Change the other 2 hero vamps to have summon ghouls and lv2 (their magic items are good, so keep them)
Another varghulf FTW!
Another blaefire Corpse Cart FTW!

Gharof von Carstein
03-02-2009, 12:55
that be a big no as i think graveguard are very much so not worth their points, ghouls at unit size 10 are bunkers nothing more, making them this size is just commiting yourself to doing nothing with your spells save raising for 3 turns and theyll still be just 18 sized (due to shooting and combat etc) which means they will never outnumber (which is the point with a fear causing unit)

the black knights are way too good a bang for their buck. varghulf has a big bulseye on it for every warmachine out there, two bad rolls would cost me 350 points (no thx) BSB with drakenhoff is so corny and way too overpriced. not to mention it would be a waste to field it in anything but a unit with a armour save already so you can really make it survivable, seeing as i dislike grave guard i dont see myself ever doing this ever...

Gramolarian
03-02-2009, 12:57
List is good, and looks nice, now if you ever can like a list with 4 boosted vampires within. List has a few striking units but as I´ve notice VC really doesn´t need strong units... only strong characters

Gharof von Carstein
03-02-2009, 12:58
read the text part and see that its 2009 pts limit ;)

Gharof von Carstein
04-02-2009, 08:11
so no more advice?

Jack Champion
04-02-2009, 09:48
I like it, I agree with Gramolarian that striking units aren't strictly necessary, but if its a unit you enjoy using then it looks fab; squeezing a second varghulf in never goes a miss though :D

Whitehorn
04-02-2009, 10:02
Ghoulkin would be worth it - I know you say you want to avoid shooting, but what when you face non-shooty armies?

Gharof von Carstein
04-02-2009, 10:37
iv played with ghoulkin in my last list and the thing is i think its not worth it gimping a vampire to get it. the problem with it is that i ussually dont even need to use it or cant as i need to keep the troops close to the corpse cart. this means fielding them a few inch from my deployment line and than it would just function as moving them 2 inches ahead from the get go. its just not worth it, plus im often not that eager to charge ahead in combat before the ghoul units are bigger. ghoulkin effectively takes away my time to raise. would i be playing bigger blocks of ghouls it would be a no brainer.

what i have been wondering about is, would it be smart to add a second cart by dropping the dire wolves? this would mean im lowering flank, march block and lone character hunting by a great deal while only getting a second chance to get miasma of deathly vigour. often times i can pull enough tricks with my cart to get it in the best possible spot for the combat phase. i cant see myself freeing up more points in any way (if you can plz let me know!) to add a lodestone or second balefire to a possible second cart. it would be killer if i could do.

Count Demandred
04-02-2009, 10:53
Just a very minor point, I think you should give the Black Periapt to someone else as you'll surely want that particular Vampire spamming IoN.

Gharof von Carstein
04-02-2009, 10:56
not that big a problem as the black periapt adds to the power dice pool every wizard can use, not just that particular one. so how i use it would be my choice. fact is i cant give it to anyone else cuz no one has the points for it beside the book vamp and than i cant seeing as they are both arcane items.

Count Demandred
04-02-2009, 11:06
Hrm, I was under the impression he could only save one of his un-used dice. Which would mean he wouldn't be using both of his dice each turn, which I figured he would as he's got Summon Ghouls.

I think you should swap it around with one of the Avatar of Death Vampires, as they're more likely to find themselves in combat (I'm assuming) - which is where the Black Periapt comes in handy as he can't cast spells anyway. Personally I'd swap the Rod of Flaming Death with the Black Periapt.

Gharof von Carstein
04-02-2009, 16:14
apparently you dont get how black periapt works. you save a dispel dice and it turns into a power dice which anyone can use. when you save a power dice it turns into a dispel dice.

blackjack
06-02-2009, 02:40
I am pretty sure you can't have both a helm of command and a crown of the damned on the same character.

Gharof von Carstein
06-02-2009, 09:33
than your wrong :) i had the combo in a official tournament last time and judges found it to be legal.

D.E.E. Tom
06-02-2009, 10:02
One is a talisman the other is an Enchanted item, so yeah it is legal. The lord will look silly though :P

So this is voor het Beleg van Haarlem?

Gharof von Carstein
06-02-2009, 10:25
yes it is. are you going to?

Gharof von Carstein
06-02-2009, 11:00
i made a alternative list with some more cheese. let me know what you guys think.

vamp lord
-extra magic level
-red fury
-dread knight
-ghoulkin
-dreadlance
-helm of commandment
= 445p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-book of arkhan
= 185p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-rod of flaming death
= 190p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-summon ghouls
-black periapt
= 160p

Ghouls+ghast x 15 = 128p
Ghouls+ghast x 15 = 128p
Ghouls+ghast x 15 = 128p
Ghouls+ghast x 14 = 120p

Dire wolves x 5 = 40p
Dire wolves x 5 = 40p

Corpse cart = 75p

Blood knight x5 bannerwearer, banner of blood keep = 370p

total = 2009p

Hospitaler
06-02-2009, 11:35
I prefer the first list, its more balanced and gives you more options, something i always look for. Greater options = greater flexibility = winability :)

Looking at it in perspective, the first list will be harder to beat, and will wear down lots of opponents slowly, while the second one can win big (duh big cav unit), but your lord (who i assume goes with the bloodknights) is more at risk for obvious reasons; but then to generate the threats, you have to face the risks.

To conclude i would use the first list simply because i prefer the Black knights over the Bloodknights - your call.

Gharof von Carstein
06-02-2009, 11:53
i tend to agree with you. not to mention the second list is cheesy and gives me one big handicap. no certainty of two vanhels capables. what im worried about is that with the black knights im never sure of actually winning combat. not without giving them banner of the strigoi but that off course doesnt guarantee them outnumber... its really a tough call.

Hospitaler
06-02-2009, 12:09
unless you use them purely for flanking engaged blocks, which is how i use them most of the time

Gharof von Carstein
06-02-2009, 12:22
vamp lord
-extra magic level
-master of the black arts
-forbidden lore
-summon ghouls
-flayed hauberk
-crown of the damned
-helm of commandment
= 445p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-book of arkhan
= 190p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-rod of flaming death
= 195p

vamp thrall
-dark acolyte
-summon ghouls
-black periapt
= 160p

Ghouls+ghast x 14 = 120p
Ghouls+ghast x 14 = 120p
Ghouls+ghast x 15 = 128p
Ghouls+ghast x 10 = 88p

Dire wolves x5+Doom wolf = 50p

Corpse cart +balefire = 100p

Black knight x7, barding, standardbearer, + royal standard of the strigoi = 247p

Varghulf = 175p

total = 2008p

this is the third list so far i know... im fickle :) but i always think that a list can be improved upon. and this list lessens my worries about the killing ability of the black knights. i keep my dire wolves. and add a doom wolf. on this list plz :)

Makina
07-02-2009, 17:22
Dark Acolyte is 30 points
Dread Knight is 25 points

Or am I mistaken here?

EldarBishop
07-02-2009, 18:15
Yes they are... that one character is over point allowance for Vamp powers.

Gharof von Carstein
08-02-2009, 14:03
ya i know guys i kinda made a mistake there. its been corrected. iv added a doomwolf.