PDA

View Full Version : Untimention has a go at WOC Mounted Only Army list

untimention
03-02-2009, 13:35
Ok so i am new to WOC and have amounted a large collection over a few weeks.

I wanted to try an all mounted approach because its very different to what im used too.

Heroes

Chaos Sorcerer - level 2, mark of nurgle, chaos steed, power familiar - 181pts

Chaos sorcerer - Mark of Tzeentch + disc of Tzeentch - 125pts

CORE

5 Marauder Horsemen - Mark of nurgle + shields + musician - 106pts

5 Marauder Horsemen + shields + musician - 76pts

5 Marauder Horsemen + shields + musician - 76pts

5 Chaos Warhounds - 35pts

5 Chaos Warhounds - 35pts

SPECIAL

1 Chaos Chariot + mark of Khorne - 150pts

5 Chaos Knights + musician - 205pts

10 Chaos knights + full command + lances + Blasted Standard - 540pts

5 knights + full command + mark of khorne - 208pts

RARE

Chaos Warshrine + mark of Tzeentch - 150pts

2 Chaos Spawn - 110pts

Counting in the car on my mobile this came to 1997pts

Im not saying this is perfect at all however i like it as a basis. My hereos are weak however i dont feel they need to be powerful due to the weight of knights and i did leave them till last.

The warshrine is something different i want to try out and it could work well with knights and having a 3+ ward save due to mark.

Please let me know your thoughts and what to add, reduce and change.

bork da basher
03-02-2009, 13:59
your two level 2 mages are near enough pointless, a moderate magical defense will all but neuter them, they need to spend the points on extras to get those spells off. you'll be better off using exalteds and having a single scroll caddy instead. if your going to take mages, take 3 at least and equip them properly. as it stands they simply wont do much for you.

marauder horsemen need flails, just flails. everything else is a pointless waste of points and most of the time your just giving away VP because they're so easy to kill. flails means S5 on the charge which can actually kill something and make them worth while. forget trying to keep them alive, they're too squishy even with all the extra armour. fast cav with S5 for the win!
hounds are fine, id want a 2 more units myself. also they cost 30pts for 5 not 35pts.

your knights should never be bigger than 6 strong, and frankly i think 5 is just fine. just give them a standard and they're good to go.
if you chariots are your thing then fine but i dislike them and rather take the extra slot as another knights unit. 10 knights might seem like a good idea but i garentee you its a huge waste. your essentially paying 200pts for +1 rank bonus which you will loose should you loose a single knight. a warbanner will cost you 175pts less and the +1 bonus will remain with you. i get what your doing with the blasted standard but knights are fast enough and you have enough of them to weather the worst of the shooting phase without too many casualties, by turn 2 you'll get the charge in and then you need'nt worry. if you went ahead with using this unit id remove the lances (waste of points) and give yourself a mark of tzeentch instead to improve the blasted ward save.

warshrine i think is out of place here, its too slow to keep up with your army, same goes for the chariot too IMO.

i think all cav chaos forces need to be magic heavy or seriously combat heavy to be worthwhile. either khorne or tzeentch i think works best of all.
i play a sorc lord, 3 lvl 2 sorcs all on discs, 3 horsemen, 4 hounds and 4 knights and its incredibly powerful list, yet to loose with it infact.

i think drop down to chariot, 3 units of knights or 4 units of knights, invest a dedicated group of charecters, dabbling here and there in either magic or combat generally doesnt work with chaos, it has to be all or nothing to do well i think.

untimention
03-02-2009, 14:22
Thanks for the notes.... i will re-read later after work.

My main focus is the fact WOC are strong and sorc will last a lot longer then most other armies, with that in mind i want dispell dice to counter the majority of what the enemy has in store for me (knights can take some magic pounding). Thus spending less points on magic and more on knights.

The reason for taking a unit of 10 is they will last that bit longer, taking the magic banner to last even longer the time they get into combat they can hit with a real punch. Taking a unit of 5. Even losing one can be a real blow.

The warshrine is just something a bit different and could work well with knights giving them some added BUMP!

I didnt think to much about marauder horsemen as i just wanted to use the min core troop choice.

bork da basher
03-02-2009, 14:46
well ive been using 4 units of 5 knights and not lost yet. i find even 3 strong they pack a serious punch. a unit of 10 knights is over 1/4 of your total points and god help you should you face cannons or bolt throwers, giving them an extra rank is never a good thing. even with the blasted standard i wouldnt want to risk drawing that much attention. a bad roll could cripple your very expensive unit.

for me its all about bang for your buck. 540pts of 10 strong knights is no better in combat than 5 knights with a warbanner which costs almost half as much. unless your facing gunlines you wont loose enough knights to really hurt your charges too badly before your get into combat.

or putting it another way could you recover the game after loosing 1/4+ of your army in one go? killing this unit will almost hand the game over as its carrying is worth 640VP (+100 for the standard)

there are loads of ways to cripple this unit in a single turn, you might be protected against shooting but you have only 4 dispel dice and that wont stop anything of any real danger from shredding this unit.

untimention
03-02-2009, 15:04
SOLD.

No unit of 10 knights.

Do you find lances work? 5 points per model is a lot... however many characters have things that dampen down magical weapons... and you get extra strength.

I may split the two units and add a standard.... i may knock out a spawn to accomidate for this and having two units of marauder horsemen with flails maybe?

The Red Scourge
03-02-2009, 15:12
Knights are fantastic.

Khorne knights can do horrible things, but they need alot of care, or they'll get in a lot of trouble from frenzy.

Lances aren't worth it. If you need S6, you can do even better and get great weapon wielding dragon ogres, they'll even have S7 when not charging and at 4 wounds/model, they are really tough. Also you'll never know when those magical attacks will come in handy.

Don't waste your points on the MoN for horsemen, MoS perhaps and then I love those throwing axes.

Hounds.. Lets just say I have 20 of the little pooches, and those are the old metal ones. Use them for shielding your units, flanking, hiding heavy hitting characters etc. etc. – the 'Waroof, sir!' rule is just as good as the 'Look out, sir!' :D

With such hard troops, there are few reasons to use fighty characters – especially ones as vulnerable and expensive as the champs of chaos – so I generally use them for magic defense/offense and to support the other troops by getting rid of skirmish/scouts.

Spawns I see no reason for in a cavalry list. They aren't fast nor dependant enough.

untimention
03-02-2009, 18:26
Thats why i will only have 1 unit of khorne knights... I dont have any Dragon Ogres models and i dont like them either. I also dont like the theame of Dragon Ogres.

That's the theame i have followed re characters... magical defence that can look after themselves

untimention
04-02-2009, 18:20
New list i made on the train home from london (i havent done Hereos's yet)

5 Marauder Horsemen - Mark of Nurgle, shields, standard - 112pts (stronger at taking on skirmish)

5 Marauder Horsemen - Shields, Standard, Throwing Axes - 92pts (taking out armed warmachine crew)

5 Marauder Horsemen - Shields, Throwing Axes - 80pts ( general run around)

5 Chaos Warhounds - 30points (shield)

1 chaos chariot - 120pts (taking out weaker troops)

5 knights of chaos - mark of khorne, full command, blasted standard - 320pts (hammer of chaos)

5 knights of chaos - standard with banner of rage - 305pts (knights with a punch)

5 knights of chaos - 200pts (taking out troops)

1 chaos warshrine - mark of tzeentch - 150pts (to follow some knights to give them eye of chaos and to defend itself)

501pts for Hereo's left... any recommendations..;. i am basing this on models i currently have so it does limit things and i am following the mounted theame so i have:

Champ in chariot
Hero on Jug
Nurgle wizard on horse
chaos wizard on horse (direct only version)
Wizard on disc
Mounted Lord of Slaanesh

untimention
04-02-2009, 18:54
Hereo's:

Chaos Sorcerer - level 2, chaos steed, power familiar, 1 dispel scroll – 186pts

Chaos sorcerer - Mark of Tzeentch, disc of Tzeentch, Dispel scroll, - 150pts

Chaos Hero on Juggernaught, Mark of Khorne, Crown of Everlasting conquest, Shield – 225pts

2000points BANG ON

Mabus
04-02-2009, 18:58
Out of sheer curiosity, what model do you use for your Shrine?

BTW - I was also concidering an all-cavalry force of Marauder Horsemen and Knights. I didn't have the balls to go ahead with it so good luck to you!

untimention
04-02-2009, 19:05
I bought the Shrine as part of a deal, its made up of spare WOC bits and also a corpse cart. It looks good.

Mabus
04-02-2009, 19:07
Oh, cool. I was planning on converting one but now I think I'll copy you!

untimention
06-02-2009, 07:15
Hi Warseer. Any views on my list at all?
As i look at it i like it, i know i could do more magic or have stronger units but i think it has a nice balance.

Hereo's:

Chaos Hero on Juggernaught, Mark of Khorne, Crown of Everlasting conquest, Shield – 225pts

5 Marauder Horsemen - Mark of Nurgle, shields, standard - 112pts (stronger at taking on skirmish)

5 Marauder Horsemen - Shields, Standard, Throwing Axes - 92pts (taking out armed warmachine crew)

5 knights of chaos - mark of khorne, full command, blasted standard - 320pts (hammer of chaos)

5 knights of chaos - standard with banner of rage - 305pts (knights with a punch)

1 chaos warshrine - mark of tzeentch - 150pts (to follow some knights to give them eye of chaos and to defend itself)

untimention
17-02-2009, 21:47
re the above, any views?

I'm starting to make the final models and im buying the final horsemen and hounds

Kalec
18-02-2009, 02:14
Drop one mage, make the other a scroll caddy. Grab MoK for the chariot and get more hounds or another unit of horsemen.

Get a flail or halberd for the exalted, just so he has a stronger weapon in case he needs it.

Do not take champs for the knights. The last thing you want is for an enemy hero to hold them up a turn in a challenge. Give MoK and a musician to the bare unit of knights.

Elazar The Glorified
18-02-2009, 05:53
I really love chariots but I think if you're going for an all mounted force then you need more than 1 chariot because they're going to move so much slower than everything else in your army (apart from the Warshrine). Chariots are brilliant if you have some infantry to team them up with or another chariot.
Otherwise I quite like the look of your list. You've got good magic defence and can have a fairly decent magic phase yourself with a bit of luck. Jugger Exalteds are hard as nails and with the Crown he'll be a very tough customer to deal with.
I also seem to be one of the few people who like Knight champions. They're very killy and can hold their own against the heroes of a lot of other races.
The only other thing is I'm not sure about standards on the marauder horsemen. I'd just take musicians to help them with their fast cavalry rallying and leave any other command out.

untimention
18-02-2009, 07:44
Im using the standard for the marauder for a bonus in combat so they dont ALWAYS run away ( well a lot of the time )

I do have another chariot however i maybe using it for a mounted hero.

I am tempted for MOK for the chariot however it would be soaking points from other units making them weaker and at 30 points it's 10 warhounds

Only one unit of knights has a champ and they are as i put it 'the hammer' of the army with MOK and a magical standard.

Elazar The Glorified
18-02-2009, 07:52
The only probelm with MOK on the chariot is it being led into difficult terrain so you'd really have to screen it with a unit of warhounds. The chariot is quite deadly on the charge without the MOK so I personally would use the points on other units as you say.

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 09:35
The Jugger Hero and the Chariot are the two points which I really wonder if you do need in the army, dropping each gives you enough points to buy a unit of Dragon Ogres AND do some changes to marks etc.

3 Dragon Ogres with Greatweapon and Lightarmour comes at around 240 points (I think a few points less), leaving you with around 130 points to buy stuff for.

Mark of Nurgle on the Rage knights, do consider lances as well, make this unit the meanest unit in your army if you are to give them the Banner of Rage.

Mark of Tzeentch on the Blasted Standard Knights is deffinately to be reckommended to make them very difficult to harm with shooting.

And then the Raptorous Standard on your rather unmodified block of Knights would turn them into the perfect grindfest knights, perhaps the Mark of Nurgle on these as well?

This should eat the 130 points and make your knight units that much more mean whilst adding a unit of can opening strength 7 Dragon Ogres as well

untimention
18-02-2009, 10:35
I dont have any Dragon Ogres and i HATE the models they are so OLD and static and i dont have the time to create some of my own.

This is the only reason why i dont have any.... if and when they make some new (plastic) ones i will be more then happy to consider.

I like the Hero because i ALWAYS have to have a Hero in my army, its just the law in my eyes. Furthermore spending yet more points on the knights, every loss will be even more of a blow to a unit of only 5 knights (not huge numbers)

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 13:07
That is true, however, 4+ saves on them or Frenzy on them might make the "points lost per model" higher, but it also makes them either more difficult to kill (ignoring 50% of the shooting wounds is HUGE) OR makes them more killable, and as such, each loss has a smaller effect on the unit. Also, with the Raptorous Standard, even a single Knight can hope to hold up an enemy unit, especially considering there are few things getting past his save.

The one thought on your hero is that you might want him meaner in combat than survivable. Bronze Armour of Zhrakk and a shiny weapon of your choosing should more than suffice, especially when armed with a shield. 0+ save and immune to Killingblow and Poison is plenty to stomp all over enemy characters when armed with a magic weapon. Otherwise, giving him the Blasphemous Amulet could ALSO be a wicked thing to do with his large base size.

Sword of: Battle, Might and Striking are all viable options
Collar of Khorne or the Blasphemous Amulet are good talismans.
Add a Favour of the Gods on top and you are home free with a lean mean killing machine of Khorne.

untimention
18-02-2009, 13:55
i will have a look tonight, thanks for all the help so far

untimention
03-04-2009, 17:32
i finally have all the models and more i need to make the army:

this is 2000 on the noise,

if i wanted and felt i needed more hounds i have enough to inc an additional 20 and take out the chariot.

The_Wisest_Wizard
03-04-2009, 18:53
For the Marauder units the I think the standards are a waste of points. 5 Khorne marauders with flails cost 105 and would way out-preform your MON Marauders for taking out skirmishers. MOS marauders with flails/or throwing axes (the later has not done very well for me), and a musician are 85 points and very efficient.

Champs in knight units are also a waste. Your paying a hefty price for 1 extra attack.

Last I think the Warshrine is too slow to be in this army. If you roll a crap result your pretty much stuck with it cause the rest of your army will be so far ahead.

I agree that if your going to go so light on the magic you should cut one of the mages and make the other a caddy... freeing up some points. I also agree that the Dragon Oger models are crap but they are a good unit for your kind of army and I've seen a lot of cool conversions that seem easy and prob. cost the same as buying them.

untimention
16-04-2009, 12:26
Thanks for the feedback, i may do some more thinking around the maunted marauders.

The champ also can challenge other units champs and i think only have one isnt a massive deal.

If i find he is pants then i can easily swap for some more hounds.

Also if i find my magic is falling apart i do have some more hereos i can choose from... maybe a chaos hero on demonic stead

untimention
20-04-2009, 13:55
after a mass of help with how to equip my marauder horsemen i have a final list and i will be putting the models together this weekend to finish it off so views are very much welcome:

Chaos Sorcerer (85) - level 2 (35), chaos steed (16), power familiar (25), 1 dispel scroll (25) – 186pts

Chaos sorcerer (85) - Mark of Tzeentch (20), disc of Tzeentch (20), Dispel scroll (25), - 150pts

Chaos Hero (110) on Juggernaught (50), Mark of Khorne (15), shield (5), Crown of Everlasting conquest (50) – 230pts

5 Marauder Horsemen - Mark of Slaanesh (10), Flails (2), Throwing Axes (2) Light armour (1), Musician – 106

5 Marauder Horsemen - Mark of Slaanesh (10), Flails (2), Throwing Axes (2) Light armour (1), Musician – 106

5 Chaos Warhounds - 30points

5 Chaos Warhounds - 30points

1 chaos chariot - 120pts

5 knights of chaos - mark of khorne (30), full command (50), blasted standard (40) - 320pts

5 knights of chaos – standard (20) with banner of rage (35) - 255pts

5 knights of chaos – musician - 210pts

1 chaos warshrine - mark of tzeentch (20) - 150pts - got to love a 4+ save and a 3+ ward save

Total points: 1999pts

MTUCache
20-04-2009, 17:06
Looks alright... kind of similar (in units anyway) to an all-mounted WoC force I was considering.

Still not all that sure about your characters, as you are spending 300+ points on a pretty limited amount of magic offense and defense. You have an alright defense (nothing special though), and a pretty mediocre offense truthfully. Not sure you'll get many spells through even a scroll-caddy defense.

As for the units though... it was mentioned earlier that the champions were a waste. I'm not so sure. By taking the warshrine, your Champions are going to be getting some pretty sweet benefits at the start of the game, making some of them nearly as good as hero-level characters (+1 T/S/A/AS/Ld) and some of them buffing their units to a pretty high standard (MR3/Fear/Terror/Stubborn). This is something that I'd definitely consider taking advantage of, even in the Marauder units... I'm not sure about this though, but it's something I've been considering while playing around with an all-mounted Chaos/Warshrine list. That Eye of the Gods table can be just plain sick.

I think the unit you'll be the least impressed by will be the Chariot. I've done all-mounted Dark Elf lists before and been disappointed by their Chariots as well. Yours hit harder, but they're still just as slow. Not being able to march really drags those behind your lines, and makes it difficult to tag-team them with cav units. They work great in pairs, and even better with an infantry block, but you really don't want any of your Knight units (even the big ones) "holding" people up for a Chariot. The Knights hit harder than the chariot does anyway.

untimention
20-04-2009, 17:20
I want to try out the Chariot and see what happens, then if i dont like it bye bye and maybe stregthen the nights.

With the characters it gives me a hero.. that is a bit of a head kicker and some magic to defend my precious knights, as well as protecting themselves.

Sorc in other lists aren't that hard or cost the earth so the balance between sorc and knights should work well

untimention
11-06-2009, 15:25
I have my first match i hope next week using this army against dwarf's.

I've decided at lunch time i am going to drop the chariot against dwarfs and instead take 14 more warhounds (so they can get shot at)

And also the magic armour (i forget the name) for my hero on jugg.. it gives him a 4+ save against non-magical attacks... meaning he has a 0+ save, a 4+ ward save (in some cases) and then has a 4+ re-generation save.... meaning for every wound i have 3 dice to save him..... i am aware this may not work so well against dwarfs as magic is a strong point with them.