PDA

View Full Version : missing wargear

tstreet21
04-02-2009, 00:41
was having a conversation over the weekend about how they did away with the old Axe of Khorne for chaos, my brother was complaining about how the demon weapon killed his berserker champion (again)

so that turned into a discussion about what other weapons/wargear GW did away with when they updated the codex. not necessarily upgrades such as terminator honors or master crafting a weapon, but more along the lines of specific weaponry such as the Axe or the conversion beamer they just brought back.

and if a house rule was created to allow these old weapons, would you be willing to pay double the original cost of the weapon to be able to play it within the current codex?

Bloodknight
04-02-2009, 00:51
You cannot compare that. The conversion beamer for example is an item from 2nd edition and earlier (I currently forgot what it costed back then), and as an example: a multimelta back in the day used to cost about 65 points on a Tarantula.

Reflex
04-02-2009, 01:48
multi melters used to be blast template tho didnt they?

Leftenant Gashrog
04-02-2009, 02:04

*gets dreamy nostalgic look* yes, and the vehicle rules back then mean't they had a decent chance of scoring multiple hits on a vehicle with a single shot..

RT and 2e were different games, so anything would need serious work to bring into 3.x, but I see nothing wrong with simply using things from 3rd or 4th edition as is unless its blatantly broken - but in any case everything should be examined individually.

the1stpip
04-02-2009, 08:59
Yes, can I have a vortex grenade in nomral games please :P

Marlow
04-02-2009, 09:11
I think Power Axes used to have a rule that you could use them as a Power Weapon or two handed as a Power Fist? All my Sgt's would carry them if that came back!

Of course back in the day Thunder Hammers & Lightning Claws all used to strike at Initititve one too...

BigRob
04-02-2009, 10:04
Yes, can I have a vortex grenade in nomral games please :P

Of course you can, as long as I cna have the detonator that pops all vortex grenades in range while they are still in the owners pocket.

Old wargear shouldn't come back as was, but can be brought back in bits. GW has simplified the lists/redone the style however you want to say it and the custom armoury is wrong. I actually like having all the options listed on the page because I'm not skipping between pages to build a character, it makes army building more straight forward.

Yes you loose some of the customising and some of the freedom, BUT you also don't get all the crazy power builds people had or the few items in the armoury that never ever got taken. Nothing was more annoying than the unit with access to the armoury that could take anything.

Weapons comming back like the Shokk attack gun and the Conversion beamer is great, even the vortex grenade, but we don't need a wholesale special rule return. For example if you allow power axes to have a special rule, people will ask why not power swords getting parry back? Why can't force weapons be split back up? Why can't we have handflamers with mini templates? The weapons have been grouped to make things easier and now weapons don't have individual profiles liek they used too, it makes things run a bit quicker. If you want lots of rules for everything, go play Inqmunda or pick up a copy of the second edition rules off eBay.

The Clairvoyant
04-02-2009, 10:26
the thing about the conversion beamer, although it had rules in the wargear book for 2nd ed, i don't ever remember seeing it available as an option in any codexes outside the 'Black Codex'.

Same for anti-plant grenades or any of the web weapons.
Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong (and i'm sure you'll enjoy your superior knowledge :P)

pookie
04-02-2009, 10:54

2nd edition Dreads armed with a MM could use the Heavy Flamer Templete.

trigger
04-02-2009, 11:01
Give me combat drugs back , please.

The_Outsider
04-02-2009, 12:32
Give me combat drugs back , please.

Play dark eldar and you can have combat drugs.

Ixquic
04-02-2009, 13:28
Play dark eldar and you can have combat drugs.

Also the Eversor assassin has them sorta.

2nd edition's wacky wargear was awesome although horribly unbalanced (my favorite moment was my friend's 500 point Chaos Lord being sucked into the vortex grenade my sergeant threw at him). I like some of it coming back in a more regulated fashion or in Apocalypse games where frankly the point is just to have fun with goofy stuff so balance isn't as much an issue..

Sir_Turalyon
04-02-2009, 13:33
I think Power Axes used to have a rule that you could use them as a Power Weapon or two handed as a Power Fist? All my Sgt's would carry them if that came back!

Two handed version was more like relic blade (str 6 against powerfist's 8).

vampires are cool!
04-02-2009, 13:40
All i know is I want my Axe of Khorne back.

EVIL INC
04-02-2009, 13:42
I always thought the nueral shredder (think thats the name) was cool. A solid crystal gun with no "working" that you just pointed and said bang and people died.
Graviton gun was annoying.
I fondly remember the legendary grenades that could be thrown. They threw the game off with "unlimited" supplies as up close people would just chase each other around buildings chukking grenades over the roof rather then just shoot at each other or go into combat.
The axe of khorne was nice but not as nice as the older daemon weapons and axes of khorne that you could drop down and have them turn into daemons or use in combat to suck your opponant into it to serve you.

ChaplainVarnus
04-02-2009, 18:15
I miss Madboyz, Painbosses and Big Mek/Warboss retinues. Also vortex grenades in normal games? IIRC, in a friendly game a friend gave his sentinel a vortex grenade launcher:D, and his Ogryns Kraks. That was sooooo cool. Best game I've ever played.

captainramoz
04-02-2009, 21:54
i wasn't even alive to enjoy that wargear:cries:

boogle
04-02-2009, 22:35
Axe of Khorne i would have no problem with, the other older stuff is nice where it is, as nostalgia