PDA

View Full Version : 5th edition Spacemarine Codex help!

Applesauceninja
04-02-2009, 00:50
I play Salamanders and put off buying the new codex till a day or so ago. when I got home I looked at it thoroughly and i can't find the drawbacks and stuff for the chapters. So with my salamanders who had cleanse and purify am i not allowed to have 2 flamers/meltaguns in a squad? Or is there something i'm missing? thanks

Grimtuff
04-02-2009, 00:54
I play Salamanders and put off buying the new codex till a day or so ago. when I got home I looked at it thoroughly and i can't find the drawbacks and stuff for the chapters. So with my salamanders who had cleanse and purify am i not allowed to have 2 flamers/meltaguns in a squad? Or is there something i'm missing? thanks

Correct. They did away with the traits system.

The thing you are missing is Vulkan He'stan. ;)

ZOMGBBQ
04-02-2009, 00:56

That is Correct you can only have 1 Flamer per Tac Squad now, however by Using Vulkan, they count as twinlinked.

Applesauceninja
04-02-2009, 01:01
I guess I have to go change some limbs to heavy weapons now.... dang I really liked cleanse and purify.... oh well

Reflex
04-02-2009, 01:44
vulkan > cleanse and purify... end o story

Grand Master Raziel
04-02-2009, 02:22
Let's be specific about something: Tactical Squads can't take a pair of upgraded assault weapons anymore. There are, however, still quite a few units that can: Command Squads, Sternguard Veteran Squads, Assault Squads (can take 2 flamers if they're a 10-man squad), and Bike Squadrons all have that option. Assuming you have inclinations towards playing a fluffy Sallies army based on the 4th edition Traits system, you can probably achieve a similar effect by reorganizing what you have. Maybe get some Rhino-mounted (or LR-riding) Assault Squads without jump packs to stick your flamer-toters in, throw a couple meltaguns in a Command Squad, and so on.

Fixer
04-02-2009, 14:22
As a long time Salamanders player myself I've had to adapt and change my list a bit.

However, there are are a few good benefits to the new dex. Firstly with combat squads, run and twin linking there's actually a reason to take multimeltas (which are also a free upgrade to a 10 man squad)

After that, there's a the Redeemer with the pintle multimelta and a squad of assault terminators with master crafted thunderhammers. What's not to like about that?

Drawback is that the old CaP drop pod force has effectively been killed off. The change in drop pod assault, loss of weapons, mission changes and the new opponents you are likely to face makes that list far too fragile. I sold all my old custom made drop pods and remounted my marines in rhinos.

t-tauri
04-02-2009, 20:36
If posters persist on dragging threads off topic with whines about dark Eldar they can expect to be collecting some warning points. A number of posts removed. Any more off topic will bring harsher action.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

swamp_slug
04-02-2009, 22:01
Maybe get some Rhino-mounted (or LR-riding) Assault Squads without jump packs to stick your flamer-toters in, throw a couple meltaguns in a Command Squad, and so on.

Personally, if I were playing a Salamander army I'd put a couple of Assault Squads in a pair of Land Raider Redeemers, even more fiery goodness.
OK the Flamestorm Cannons don't benefit from Vulkan's rules but it fits with the theme.
Also this way you can plow the Redeemer into an enemy unit and charge the assault squad in the same turn.

the1stpip
05-02-2009, 00:07
...or Assault Termies with Thunder Hammers...

I have decided to play a Sallies army, and they do seem one of the best options from the SM Codex.

ZOMGBBQ
05-02-2009, 00:36
People have forgotten something here, Dreads have a "Free" Multimelta.

Now admitadly, the multimelta is the Worst possible option on a Dread, even with the Extra D6 at 12" it only has one shot and isnt twin linked...

OH WAIT!

=) Vulkan+MotF+6 Multimelta Dreads in Drop Pods = Enemy with a lot of Dead Tanks.

Culven
05-02-2009, 00:50
=) Vulkan+MotF+6 Multimelta Dreads in Drop Pods = Enemy with a lot of Dead Tanks.
In theory, maybe. In practice, I would probably end up with a couple of Rhinos that can't shoot that turn. I'm certain that my dice are conspiring against me. :(

Damocles8
05-02-2009, 02:31
In theory, maybe. In practice, I would probably end up with a couple of Rhinos that can't shoot that turn. I'm certain that my dice are conspiring against me. :(

That's just you Culven ;)

@op

put your list on here and we can help reroute your models....

ZOMGBBQ
05-02-2009, 02:35

You think that's bad, I was playing against necrons, and I drop podded in my Space Wolves. ALL but my ven dread scattered wildly, leaving only the vendread within range of his army shooting, his ENTIRE army (2k points)

The End result? 13 Shaken and 5 Stunned Results, which were downgraded to Shaken cause of Extra Armour. I then Charged next turn and Single-handedly wiped out 20 warriors and a Lord in 1 assault phase