PDA

View Full Version : Wood elves still good?

BloodHawk
04-02-2009, 02:17
I was thinking about starting a Wood Elf army to complement my 5000 Pts of Lizards, which are loving the new book! I seem to remember that back in the day (prior to high elves) that the Wood Elves were generally considered one of the best armies in the game, and that they placed in the top consistently in GT's.

I am curious how the wood elves stack up against the new armies. Are they able to still be one of the top armies in the game? I very little experience playing as, or against wood elves and have no idea what a top army would be with them. If someone who plays or played them could let me know how they stack up, and a quick example type army that works well with them I would REALLY appreciate it. THanks so much!

W0lf
04-02-2009, 10:39
id say they are still very competitive. VC/Daemons/DEs can all be a struggle (mainly hydra) but they stack up well vs everything else.

My typical 2k was something like;

Lvl4 with calaingors staff, 3x scroll
Alter noble, hail of doom/helm of hunt, GW, LA, Shield
BSB noble on great eagle, SoM/3+ ward till failed.
3x 10 glade guard
3x 8 dryads
2x 7 wardancers
2 treemen.

works a treat.

silentarrow12
04-02-2009, 13:31
Considering that everyone and their mom plays one of those three armies I feel like wood elves are really struggling right now.

Arguleon-veq
04-02-2009, 14:23
Well they havent been finishing well in tournies lately.

They are now a second tier army, just behind High Elves. So you have 4 armies more powerful than them, Brets and certain Empire builds about equal. So thats a least 6 armies they consistantly perform better than so I would say they are still good.

Disciple of Caliban
04-02-2009, 15:14
There pretty much middle of the road. They're going to really struggle with the top 3 lists, but are on par with (or better than) most other lists.

However, thats assuming you go for a pretty competitive build, some of the more fluff focused wood elf armies will really struggle. As a general rule, dyrads and treeman are your friends!

silentarrow12
04-02-2009, 18:14
Fluffy wood elf armies will be tabled these days by most lists. The dryad bomb is the best bet for a competitive wood elf army. Even this list, which is the best we can throw forward, will probably get spanked by any daemon player due to the total negation of ward saves. In many regards I feel that Treeman are over-rated perhaps largely becasue of their crap leadership, relatively low movement for a monster and huge point cost.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
04-02-2009, 18:30
treemen are beastly are they not stubborn? with a bsb in the mix i doubt they would be going anywhere. What is their leadership like 7 im guessing?

W0lf
04-02-2009, 21:06
Stubborn ld 8 with T6, 5 wounds, 3+ armour save and 5+ wrd vs non-magic.

Yes all tourny lists take 2. (well good ones used to anyway).

Malorian
04-02-2009, 21:26
My shooty wood elves have been doing fine. Dark elves and vampire counts are no harder than before.

I've only played against deamons once, and that game didn't really show anything as the masque killed my lord and ran down my dragon first turn...

fubukii
04-02-2009, 22:18
My shooty wood elves have been doing fine. Dark elves and vampire counts are no harder than before.

I've only played against deamons once, and that game didn't really show anything as the masque killed my lord and ran down my dragon first turn...

that sounds extremely unlucky heh >.<

Angelust
04-02-2009, 22:19
You could go extra nasty with a lord on dragon and two treemen, along with a battle banner. Adding some glade guard, dryad, and glade riders could make for some really nasty combos.

I usually find wood elves to be quite good against standard rank and file armies like Chaos, while particularly poor against static armies with magic and/or shooting.

W0lf
04-02-2009, 23:45
chaos is wood elves best match-up by far

silentarrow12
05-02-2009, 00:07
You could go extra nasty with a lord on dragon and two treemen, along with a battle banner. Adding some glade guard, dryad, and glade riders could make for some really nasty combos.

I usually find wood elves to be quite good against standard rank and file armies like Chaos, while particularly poor against static armies with magic and/or shooting.

Battle banner is a high elf magic standard unfortunately :), not a wood elf one.

Dark Apostle197
05-02-2009, 01:10
Pretty sure he meant BSB.

Jericho
05-02-2009, 04:22
Gunlines are the biggest problem IMO. Demons are supposed to be a terrible match up (they are for most armies!) but I've never played them with my Woodies. Anyway Wood Elves can't outshoot gunlines. The bread and butter of the list is Wardancer/Dryad combo charges, and putting Wild Riders into people's flanks. The shooting is more often just for a bit of support.

Other builds rely on baiting and anchoring with stubborn re-rollable units, but none of these matter too much when the other guy is raining down cannonballs, mortars, bolt throwers, organ guns, or whatever into your troops. Woodies can't stand up to that. Many Wood Elf generals know when they can play aggressively and when they have to play cagey and go for a draw/minor win.

BajsArne
05-02-2009, 07:32
I'm fairly new to this edition of fantasy andhave not met any of the power armies. Wood elves annoy me though. I'm fine with getting shot to bits when crossing the field, but once I'm there, i get crushed by dryads, treemen and flankcharging cavalry.

xragg
05-02-2009, 16:04
Wood elves typically rely on breaking the enemy in combat the first round, not by winning sustained combats. Any army that cant break is more difficult for woodies, like undead and demons.

While it took a few games to adjust to the new undead book, I can routinely at least pull a draw with undead, but getting a massacre is still VERY hard for me as I can never kill the huge point units like grave guard with regen banner.

Demons are hit and miss, depending on what units are taken and the skill of the player running the army. The one unit I really hate to see is flamers. They are so deadly to everything in the wood elf army.

Wood elves are still competitive with all the other armies out there, although it still takes alot of practice to use woodies effectively. One wrong move can be so devastating for wood elves. The power creep each book also has makes mistakes and/or bad rolling more and more costly, but this would be true with any older book, not just wood elves.

pootleberry
05-02-2009, 17:05
You just have to approach the Wood Elves from a different perspective. Rather than playing for an all out crushing victory I tend to focus on whittling down enemy units to half strength to get some points, whilst trying to outflank/slow the enemy down. Although I love the Waywatcher I find the humble Glade Guard to be well worth their points. At short range the extra to-hit and strength really start to kick in.

The Glade Riders are useful for capturing/contesting enemy quarters towards the end of the game.

I am new to Warhammer though, but this is what I'm finding so far.

Kahadras
05-02-2009, 21:56
Wood Elves are still fine IMHO. Against dedicated tourney lists from the more recent armies books they will probably struggle but that really wouldn't be a suprise. The benefits they have from being Wood Elves are still around though so I'd say they are still a great army to roll with.

Kahadras

BloodHawk
06-02-2009, 00:42
Thanks so much for all the responses! It sounds like the army is still quite good although it might have some trouble against undead (big deal, so does everyone else).