PDA

View Full Version : questions about Vampire Counts

Vutall
04-02-2009, 04:07
Hello everyone, I had a couple questions about casting.

1: If I am understanding this correct, For Vampire Counts, I have 6 power dice. I can cast with a level 2 Vampire Raise dead two times (once geting dispelled), using 2 power dice for each, for a total of 4 dice, and then cast Dance Macabre using two dice with the same vampire for a total of 6 power dice? Or can Vampires only cast with dice equal to level +1?

2: Say a unit of ghouls is in combat with a unit on its front and its flank. The ghouls are wiped down to 1 man, but I cast Innvocation successfully, bringing back 4 ghouls. Since they are in combat with a front and a flank, the riased ghouls must be placed in contact with the unit attacking their front? Or can they instead be placed in contact with the unit on the flank, thus making the flank unit become the front, and the front unit become the flank?

3: With the Helm that gives an undead unit the vampires weapon skill, can I use that on my opponents turn? Say he charges my unit of zombies, can I say I activate it, and then the zombies are now WS 6?

Thank you very much!

therat
04-02-2009, 04:23
1. Any wizard in the game can only cast spells using the power dice he/she produces, plus the dice in the general pool. So the vampire in that situation could only use a maximum of four dice and if he does, the rest of the wizards may not use the 2 dice from the general pool. There is also a separate restriction on the number of dice that may be used in one casting which is level +1. In short, your level 2 vamp can cast each spell he casts with a max of 3 dice, but can only use 4 dice total.

2. I'm pretty sure they go where the front was originally.

3. You can use the helm at any time during any close combat phase, the rules put no limit on it (other than the bearer being out of close combat).

Nurgling Chieftain
04-02-2009, 05:05
2. You cannot change facing in HtH except in very specific circumstances, which this does not sound like.

Asmodiseus
04-02-2009, 05:26
2. The rules for IoN are very clear about where the models go, you must place them in the front rank until there are at least 5 models then you may start adding a second rank. The fact that the unit go reduced to 1 model is irrelevant as while that one model did indeed become a skirmisher, skirmishers still have flanks and rears when engaged in combat.

The only way you can do what you are suggesting is if you won combat the previous phase and elected to use the turn maneuver detailed on page 46 of the BRB. If you did this then indeed you may add the units to the side which is now your front.

Vutall
04-02-2009, 06:03
Could someone give me a page reference in the BRB for the casting? All I could find was this:

"The maximum number of power dice a wizard can use to cast A SPELL is one more than the wizards level" (BRB, P. 107)

But it doesnt say anything about casting multiple spells and power dice restrictions for that...

Asmodiseus
04-02-2009, 06:17
Page 106 read the Power dice section. A wizard may only use the power dice he generates + any army power dice available. In your example a level 2 vampire generates 2 power dice, the army has 2 power dice so The vampire may only use a total of 4 dice.

However variables may change this. If the level two vampire has the "Master of the Black Arts" ability he would then generate 4 power dice instead of 2 so he would be able to use 6 power dice total. If a character has a Black Periapt and saved a dispel dice from your opponents previous magic phase then your army would generate 3 power dice instead of two thus giving him one more powerdice with which to draw upon.

Jonke
04-02-2009, 06:54
Could someone give me a page reference in the BRB for the casting? All I could find was this:

"The maximum number of power dice a wizard can use to cast A SPELL is one more than the wizards level" (BRB, P. 107)

But it doesnt say anything about casting multiple spells and power dice restrictions for that...

You found the only restriction there is. When casting one spell a wizard must use a minimum of 1 die and max of his level +1.

During a magic phase a wizard may use as many dice as he has access to, normally the ones he generates and the 2 from the common pool.