PDA

View Full Version : help me start out?

Kiras of the flame
04-02-2009, 06:56
So I'm a 40k player who want's to get into Fantasy... When I play Warhammer I preffer Orkz and Grotz instead of Orcs and Gobbos

My only issue is that I've never played even one game related to fantasy so save me sigmar...

I was thinking to start out with the Empire army since they have a lot of units and heroes that I can use to get accustomed to the game, and can collect til my hearts content.

Please help a guy out

FredNo1
04-02-2009, 09:05
Empire is a great starting army, with alot of diffrent units for all kinds of purposes.

Think about if ye want a theme on the army or not. If ye dont, then making a basic empire army is really easy.

kroq'gar
04-02-2009, 09:08
But expensive.

Nicha11
04-02-2009, 09:11
I'm going to go against the Empire for one Reason.

They are Boring!!! When you start fantasy you want an army that captures the eye, thats different to others and has special rules (I know people won't agree with that).

I would recommend Dwarves as a starting army, solid dependable and reasonabely cheap.

Nephilim of Sin
04-02-2009, 09:12
I think you hit the nail on the head talking about collecting. Considering the amount of models that you need for Fantasy, the best place to start is the army that has the models that pique your interests the most. From there you can start to figure out the rules, and then the other armies that you like.

Myself, I am currently on an O&G kick, not because they are the best army, but because I like the models, and the fluff. That is what helps me have fun with them in the game. Conversely, I hate Empire, and even though the rules are great, I could never have fun playing with them (but again, that is personal preference, not trying to sway your opinion!).

Whatever you do, start out with a battalion. Or, if you are picking one of the earlier armies from this edition (Orcs, Dwarves, or Empire), check E-bay to pick up one of the army boxsets on the cheap. A decent selection of models for a great price, and it is about a 1500 pt. army all set for you.

Neckutter
04-02-2009, 09:17
DE are newish, and have that "new car smell". their models have gotten a nice overhaul, and they are a strong army to boot.

SuperArchMegalon
04-02-2009, 10:01
Well, it sounds like the Empire has appeal to the poster. I'd say go with it, since you seem to have already decided. You're lucky you're drawn to Empire instead of a bad starter army, like Daemons or TK.

The Red Scourge
04-02-2009, 10:04
Daemons thats the best beginners choice. Its a winning mans army ;)

Seriously though, go with the army that makes you want to paint it.

I spent a year getting 3K of WoC just right, while they learned me the basics of the game. During the time I picked up around 2.5K of Wood Elves, and they gave me the options and play style I needed to add the extra bit of fun to the game.

Now I'm thrilled at raising a VC army of ghosts and gothic horror and learn to play with large infantry blocks. They'll have a hard time competing with the Wood Elves for play time, but I can't wait to field rank after rank of bones and decaying corpses :)

Jeez.. I just realize that that's 3 2K+ armies in little more than a year. I must be bonkers :eek:

BTW: Empire is a cool army. It demands that you can find a synergy between its units to win, and in that way it becomes much more rewarding to play than many other armies. The only danger is falling to the easy route and making a gunline.

Condottiere
04-02-2009, 10:33
As always, my advice is borrow some models and proxy various armies that appeal to you; from the experience you'll be able to tell which you're most in sympathy with, and can plan your buying list from that. You won't have to regret purchasing stuff you'll never use.

Neckutter
04-02-2009, 10:38
empire armies have it all as far as army units are concerned. it is a good flexible army, and will teach you a lot about the rules! ultra-tough cavalry, skirmishing units, cheap tactically flexible core infantry, warmachine, terror-causing monster mounts, fast cav, and scouting archers. decent all the way around.

if the OP likes empire, then i would advise him to buy the armybook and read it like a bible for at least 2 days. then decide on a type of army he wants, then start the buying. the plastic greatswords should be coming out soon, right? although i dont care for them, a lot of people like them a lot.

Plastic Bolter
04-02-2009, 13:22
Fellow newbie here to Warhammer fantasy, I think that I will start with Daemons. I like the bloodletters models how many should I get for a 1000point army?

w3rm
04-02-2009, 13:58
I'm getting ready to start an empire army but currently I'm working on around 3k Orcs & Gobbos. Empire are a middle tier army above armies like Greenskins, BoC, and Ogres. They are reasonably easy to theme, have good cavalry, good shooting, and pretty good magic. Cheap infantry and some of the nastier warmachines out there, make theme very viable to a new player. They aren't to hard to paint and you can pick up some old starter set for reasonably cheap. The 6th edition stater set come with 16 Spearmen, 16 Handgunners, 1 Great Cannon and a captain, along with some assorted orcs and a building. Have fun!

maze ironheart
04-02-2009, 14:03
Empire is a great army to start off with I started WFB with empire and it did me good.It's true it is best to go with models you like the look off and want to paint and build a army around that so if you like the empire models then go for them.

Desert Rain
04-02-2009, 18:34
The Empire are an easy army to start with, it has a rather straight-forward play style. They have access to every type of unit in the game, except for chariots. They also have a tank. The downside is that you will need lots of models.

Einholt
04-02-2009, 18:54
Empire are not an easy army to play and succeed with especially for a beginner, but they are a great army to start with. They have just about everything and if you like the minis for collecting purposes they offer a lot more character then most armies.

Dwarves are especially boring and though relatively easy to begin with and paint, are essentially the same thing over and over again. I strongly recommend you stay tha hell away from them as the first army, it will potentially make the game boring for you.

While empire does not have most of the flashy special rules it is very unique and has so many options that focus on the basics of the game, this is why it's an ideal starting point despite requiring relatively intimate knowledge of the game to use against armies that do have all the special rules.

guillaume
04-02-2009, 19:07
Well, although I am slightly biased. I will say this.

You want an army that can perform in ALL aspects of the game.

You want an army that has units that can have an advantage in the movement phase (so dwarves are out), in the magic phase, in the shooting phase and in the combat phase, so you dont end up with a boring 1-way army.

So, for that, LIZARDMEN are the best . YES they are coming with a new book...BUT:

Lizardmen have very fast skirmishers, flyers and cavalry that can give you a tactical edge in the movement phase.

Skinks are some of the best shooters (not long range, but great nonetheless with the poison) and both salamanders and razordons are very interesting warmachine types.

Skink priests are great little magic users, slann, well they are some of the best.

Finally, saurus are absolute rock solid in combat, kroxigors are strong, and oldblood on carnosaurs are there for the blood thirsty

Of course the models are good looking (most of them) and they DONT have to be BLUE. Because they are lizardmen, they can be a lot of different color.

There is my vote.

Kiras of the flame
05-02-2009, 05:35
Thanks for the comments people...

If people want to Know... I always pick an army if I begin to enjoy the look and feel...

When I saw the Empire, I saw well organized troops march forward and gleaming knights marching... Cannons firing and men lead with a grim and determined leader leading the charge... That's what got me thinkin that that's some awesome army!!!

Everyone has a good Idea and I wish I could really find an Army that I REALLY enjoy... I'll just head to the Battle Bunker to Test the armies that the guys have... There are alot of armies I want to try, so Empire first... as soon as I get my feet stuck in, I'll soon work on what I really want in a force... Then I'll pick an army...

Still, how should I start? what's good for a bloody Veteran of the Grim future, who want's to wage war in the old world?

Bregalad
05-02-2009, 09:14
Just a side note:
There is a lot of nice background material for the Empire:
1.) Black Library novels
2.) Warhammer Roleplay Game
3.) Warhammer Online game.
All of them might enhance the way you see and play your Empire army.

Kiras of the flame
05-02-2009, 17:36
mmm Thanks...

Actually I play Battle March so I love how the Empire campain went... Steffan Von Kessel was awesome when he took down the Elector count and took the sword for himself... Pure awesome...

Cpt. Obvious
05-02-2009, 19:04
Take a look at the army book to get a feel of the fluff and see how the units look on the table top. Talk to a few good Empire generals to see their input. Once you have done those you will have a confident decision on if to go that route.