PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt non-dragon cheese list

jimbobodoll
04-02-2009, 09:19
Really trying to push the "eliteness" of supposedly "elite" high elves here. Is it too cheesy though? No dragon, no bolt throwers, no mages...

Caradryan
in 17 White Lions /w full command

Korhil
in 17 Phoenix Guard /w full command
/w banner of arcane protection

Bsb /w dragon armour, shield, lance, barded steed
/w battle banner
in 9 Dragon Princes

Prince /w halbard and armour of caledor
on Griffon

10 Archers
10 Archers

1,999 points...

D.E.E. Tom
04-02-2009, 10:03
I would not dare call this army cheesy, you have one unit of really hard hitting dragon princes that need to have a charge redirection, then flanked. You have a shooting phase of next to nothing, no magic to speak of and only marginal magic defense and that is only applicable on your two infantry units that won't go anywhere when march blocked. the Griffin is very susceptible to shooting (even at T5 it will take wounds from mass S3 shooting) and magic and won't last very long.

The major problem with this army is that it can be taken on in pieces, the infantry will lag behind while the DP and Prince will be taken care of in turns 1-3 than you two infantry units tough as they may be will be shot relentlessly and whittled down in turns 3-6. meanwhile fast support troops will clean up your archers.

Of course I might be wrong.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
04-02-2009, 18:58
I would not dare call this army cheesy, you have one unit of really hard hitting dragon princes that need to have a charge redirection, then flanked. You have a shooting phase of next to nothing, no magic to speak of and only marginal magic defense and that is only applicable on your two infantry units that won't go anywhere when march blocked. the Griffin is very susceptible to shooting (even at T5 it will take wounds from mass S3 shooting) and magic and won't last very long.

The major problem with this army is that it can be taken on in pieces, the infantry will lag behind while the DP and Prince will be taken care of in turns 1-3 than you two infantry units tough as they may be will be shot relentlessly and whittled down in turns 3-6. meanwhile fast support troops will clean up your archers.

Of course I might be wrong.

l o l

Couldnt agree much more. It is possible to make competitive High Elf lists that arent cheese you know :cool:

isidril93
04-02-2009, 19:05
it doesnt really have...something to do ommph....to make your other nits better
mages are important, unless you're facing dwarves or mono-khorne

jimbobodoll
05-02-2009, 13:20
Thanks for the posts chaps. I wonder why I have a greater fear of irritating opponents with cheesy builds in fantasy than in 40k? I mean, I took this to be cheesy with 2 special characters creating 2 fear causing, stubborn, magic resistant, leadership 9, infantry blocks... That seems much more unfair of me than my all mounted infantry beil tan aspect warrior army for 40k (bar 2x3 man jetbike squads). Just where the hell does one draw the line at fair vs. cheezy in fantasy? *HALP!*

Dragon Prince of Caledor
05-02-2009, 13:56
the special characters arent broken at all. They are expensive and not even remotely difficult to kill. Thats why the list isnt cheese.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
05-02-2009, 13:57
secondly the infantry blocks that are stubborn are not both stubborn on leadership 9. The white lions are stubborn on eight.

Red
05-02-2009, 14:25
And all the opponent would need to do to take stubborn away from the PG would be to kill Korhil, which is incredibly easy to do considering his poo army save and T3. Meh, not a tough list.

A high elf list without a Dragon, no bolt throwers, or no teclis, can never be called cheesey.

WhiteKnight
05-02-2009, 14:38
Everyone's right. You're being too dependent on these special characters that aren't as good as you may think. Caradryan is probably the best out of the two because when he dies, your looking at 6 possible dead enemies. I have had caradryan kill 4 knights because of his Mark of Asuryan.

garythewargamer
05-02-2009, 15:04
dont you just love people that jump all over you? Still they all have points in which you should look at. HE fight together and can be destroyed piece meal if you do not watch it. You are weak in magic and shooting also. But what is the bottom line? If you have fun that is all that counts.

jimbobodoll
05-02-2009, 15:23
The bottom lines seems to be that I have no idea over the respective power levels of HE lists (relative to 40k and eldar)... I was trying to build a relatively competitive list that boarded on the line of cheese/whine and thought this was close. It seems I've underestimated whats generally deemed, 'acceptable' in a HELF list and might have been under-powering my lists... :(

How about the cheesiness of this one below then? As I've been proved to have no idea/be incapable of determining power levels, i'd really appreciate any and all feedback over: a) its quality. b)its suitability for tourny/casual play (would it prove lightly to irritate the casual gamer for instance?).

Prince /w halbard, armour of caledor, amulet of light
on griffon
Noble /w dragon armour, shield, star lance, talisman of loec
on great eagle
Dragon Mage /w guadian phoenix, silver wand
on sun dragon

2x10 archers
3x5 Dragon Princes (bare)

2x Repeater Bolt throwers
2x Great Eagles

Many many thanks