PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid wings!

RoTTen2TheCore
03-12-2005, 17:06
What would u guys say is the best choice for putting wings 0n tyranid warriors and the new hive tyrant ? I saw the new wings for warriors on forgeworld... wow nice.. but other than that.

brother_fandango
03-12-2005, 17:08
i like the dragon wings from the fantasy elf dragons.

boogle
03-12-2005, 17:28
Harpie Wings and the old Gargoyle wings although a little small do the job as well

RoTTen2TheCore
03-12-2005, 21:06
The suggestions dont have to be from games workshop models.. personally i find harpie wings and old gargoyle wings to be lacking detail.Would Be'lakor wings work ok with warriors or the hive tyrant (i cant tell how big they are from the website pics)? they look pretty cool.
As for the hive tyrant i was thinking perhaps some dragon wings from the todd mcfaralane dragon series (either 1 or 2)
series 2 can be found here
http://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=285
some really nice stuff and hey its pre-painted! hehe but probably wont match my sceme so just a matter of re painting but im just worried they will be a tad big... i have the comodo dragon (although i dont want to chop it up for parts) its wings seem to be fairly descent.

Scythe
03-12-2005, 22:26
I used old Winged Nightmare and old Manticore wings for warriors. Not prefect, and quite hard to balance since they're metal, but decent enough for me. The Be'lakor wings have quite some chaos specific icons on them which would need removing. Otherwise they'd work I guess.

Locke
03-12-2005, 23:05
warmaster dragon wings are suppost to work the best but you cant get bits for them and they cost $13 a pair.

but now there are forgeworld wings prolly at about $13 for a pair as well.

RoTTen2TheCore
04-12-2005, 00:14
warmaster dragon wings are suppost to work the best but you cant get bits for them and they cost $13 a pair.

but now there are forgeworld wings prolly at about $13 for a pair as well.

they are 14 pounds(uk currency) which is something like 21$ :P but concidering its a pack of 3 pairs that are sooo much nicer its better deal than the warmaster dragon bits (plus they are specially made to fit warriors) . The only bummer is that they take up a weapon slot so you cant really install them correctly on a model with for example deathspitters and scything talons.Hmmm i wonder what you would do in that case... just give the model an extra attack without putting on the talons? (do the tyranids have large talons? hehe sorry)
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_TYRANIDS_13.html

de Selby
04-12-2005, 12:53
The official Forge-World suggestion was that the wings included enough spikyness to count as talons or claws in their own right; just inform you opponent. They also did some quick conversions with the legs replaced by talons.

Very cool product, anyway.

Scythe
04-12-2005, 17:58
Yup, the forgeworld wings look absolutely amazing. They are also cheaper as I expected them to be. Probably I'll order a pack or two with my next forgeworld order (which will probably be not anytime near with my current reserves...;))

Grimaldus
04-12-2005, 18:06
The Tyranid Warrior wings from Forge World are amazing. I live in Canada and I'll definately be ordering at least one set. Personally, I'm all about appearance equalling functionality, and since we're all paying so much for everything anyway, why not go for something that's going to make your already expensive models look beyond awesome?
As for the Tyrant, I've always heard(as others have said previously) that the plastic dragon wings from Fantasy work very well.

RoTTen2TheCore
04-12-2005, 18:55
They also did some quick conversions with the legs replaced by talons.
Yeah i saw, but i think the talons instead of legs is a cool concept....buuuut i think it looks rediculous
Hey Grimaldus, tell me how much your total came up to if you do order them (i live in canada too):D

Grimaldus
05-12-2005, 05:38
Hey, well I didn't order them yet, but I did check the exchange rates and the set of 3 pairs of wings comes in at $28CND. To me, for the coolness and quality of those wings, it's worth it....almost;) I guess I'm just thinking "hey, once I have them and my winged warriors are lookin' awesome, I won't even be worrying about the money". I'm just one of those people that just HAS to have something like that if it's at all possible.
I'm with you on the lameness of the talons instead of legs thing too...it looks kinda dumb. I plan on keeping the legs on mine, arming them with Deathspitters and, like someone said previously, counting the numerous spikes and protrusions on the wings as Scything Talons.

King.Krov
05-12-2005, 07:50
I think the, dark pegasus wings are sweet, perfect size for a warrior, and if you want added coolness to your mini clip the hooves off the feet and use claws or scything talons, and mount the model on a flying base.

they are about 7.25 each cdn $

Orcdom
05-12-2005, 07:53
the female DE on winged nightmare, i am plannin on using the wigs off it for a deamon prince.
Steve

Scythe
05-12-2005, 07:56
the female DE on winged nightmare,

That's the Dark Pegasus...;)

RoTTen2TheCore
05-12-2005, 21:29
Meh at 7.25 can each for moderatly nice wings.... id rather splurdge and get some WICKEDLY nice wings from fogeworld... I guess its ok that they replace scything talons but i dunno about rending... somehow i dont see wings being strong enough to tear through thick heavy armor.. but wtv i might just ut the wings and scything talons seeing as how i think the rending claws for warriors look a tad huge for them and slightly too small for monstrous creatures (obviously GW's way to save on moldings by making 1 set of claws for medium and large siezed models :P) .. ill be putting wings on some rending+scything warriors and using them as fast attack. Hmmm putting rending claws instead of hooves on their feet.. that could work! make it look kinda like bird talons.Im still not sure what to put on my hive tyrant... yea i kno draon wings from fantasy work well but i dunno im not too crazy bout how they look. Im gonna check out how B'ELAKOR wings will fit... yeah i know they have chaos stuff on them... i figure 1. i have a rotary tool so i can just take the time to sand it all off. or 2. not give a damn and say its a chaos tyrant and ill cut you if you say otherwise!!!! :)

Scythe
06-12-2005, 07:54
If searching for rending claws for warriors, try the Lictor ones (both 3rd and 4th edition). Smaller as the plastic ones, yet not as flimsy as the genestealer ones.

RoTTen2TheCore
06-12-2005, 17:10
yeah i would immagine that would work well... thanx :)