PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen. The answer to Nurgle daemons?

Lord Aislinn
04-02-2009, 15:46
I now have the Lizardmen book, and have been looking at the combinations you can pull.

Primarily, a Slann.

Take 3 Disciplines ideally:
- Focus of Mystery
- The Focused Rumintion
- The Becalming Cogitation

So now we take all the spells off of lore of shadows, we add a 'free' dice to all our casting attempts, and any enemy wizard casting within 24" of the Slann removes all their 6s from casting rolls.

Now we cast "Pit of Shades, and target those juicy heralds.

Why?

Plaguebearers at 12 points each are stupidly over priced.

Plaguebearers with a herald in them should cost 100 points.

Therefore we're negating their biggest advantage, knocking off the Initiative 2 heralds, and the Plaguebearers lose regen, so we can fight them with saurus and be pretty confident of winning the fights.

Also useful on Lore of Shadows:
- Steed of Shadows (I shall cover why later)
- Shades of Death (Fight fear with fear)
- Unseen Lurker (Cavalry in the side of Plaguebearers. Yum.)

Another very powerful character combonation is:

Scar Vet.
Burning Blade of Chotec, Bane Head, Enchanted Shield, Light Armour.

140 points of character.

Nominate a character at the beginning of the game, and any wounds caused on that character are doubled. Alongside flaming attacks, and a grand total of -4 armour save.

So, for example, we pick a herald, and there's a good chance we can steed of shadows into him and murder him fast. The scar vet'll die, but he'll make back his points.

And finally, the EOTG. more dispel dice, the ability to make the lore of shadows easier for our slann just incase, and a big scary monster.

Wicked imo.

The best bit is though, we aren't tailoring the list, that scar vet can murder warmachine crews and kill a few chaos knights with ease, that's the best bit imo.

Any critiscism, or constructive ideas welcome.

Roxors45
04-02-2009, 15:59
You hit the nail on the head. I still might prefer fire but that's the beauty of the Slann. Choose what Lore you want when you find out who your playing. Shadow seems effective at Nurgle, Fire for Wood elves, Metal for Dwarves,the list goes on. In addition to the engine owning Daemons the -1 cast is great too, while that hero will cut up most units or just throw him in the lead of a unit of Saurus for a nasty surprise. Throw in a couple Salamanders and some skinks either RnF or skirmishers and you have a non tailored list who can do well vs any army. Truly a well thought out book.

blackjack
04-02-2009, 16:47
In addition to the engine owning Daemons

Why do you think the engine owns daemons? Because of the +1str in the area effect damage ability? Daemons are the only book with an army wide 5+ ward while the EOTG ignores armor. Frankly Daemons are the best protected regular troops in the game vs EOTG. Forest spirits on the other hand are P owned by the EOTG.

I would prefer fire to shadows vs nurgle for the simple reason that no self respecting nurgle player will ever allow you to get pit of shades off and none of the other spells in shadow are particuarly dangerous to nurgle.

It was my fond hope that the new Lizardmen book would make them the great Daemon fighters the fluff implies, sadly the book did not give them the tools for the job.

Dokushin
04-02-2009, 17:30
It was my fond hope that the new Lizardmen book would make them the great Daemon fighters the fluff implies, sadly the book did not give them the tools for the job.

O.o Ok, they get a ward save, but they get that against everybody. I'd say we're as set up as anybody -- heck, just the Plaque of Dominion (wizard stupidity banner) = tzeench wizardunit spam shutdown. There aren't going to be any really great Daemon fighters, lol, but right now I think if there's someone you want out there slogging it out with them LM are a good choice...

Nationalmaverick
04-02-2009, 17:41
First battle I played with the new lizzies it came down to one unit of Blood Letters with less then 12 from a starting number of 20 in a meat grinder scenario, ontop of which my list was utterly ridiculous consisting of over 1200 points of characters!

So I'm confident they have it in them.

Saurus are far and away the best troop choice in the game, points v damage/protection/staying power they are just unmatched.

Temple Guard should be immune to psych base then upgrade to unbreakable with just Chakax but what can you do.

Slann are fantastic casters and now with the banner, cupped hands and smother 6s they utterly dominate the phase rather then just pumping out enough dice to start getting 1 or 2 irresistible a game.

Old Bloods are and always have been equal most killy HQ in the game, lacking a few options in "Spawnings/gifts of chaos/virtues" kind of way now, but that also makes them less of a points sink when you tool them out, On a Carnosaur in the middle of Saurus cavalry its just insanity.

Skinks with one Kroxigor is now a cheap as BALLS unit that causes fear and has a lower chance of breaking then almost any other core unit choice. (Mathhammer needed, LD6 cold blooded)

Coupled with krox, stegs, razors and terradons, I will never flinch at the sight of a Daemon host again.

(But my local group still won't allow Bloodthirsters with Obsidian armour lol)

Lord Aislinn
04-02-2009, 18:06
Why do you think the engine owns daemons? Because of the +1str in the area effect damage ability? Daemons are the only book with an army wide 5+ ward while the EOTG ignores armor. Frankly Daemons are the best protected regular troops in the game vs EOTG. Forest spirits on the other hand are P owned by the EOTG.

I would prefer fire to shadows vs nurgle for the simple reason that no self respecting nurgle player will ever allow you to get pit of shades off and none of the other spells in shadow are particuarly dangerous to nurgle.

With all due respect, I do not believe you read everything properly, the key to killing plaguebearer blocks, is to kill the herald, and pit of shades is just the tool for the job. The nurgle army at our gw has 6 dispel dice, so if the slann throws 4 of his own + 1 free, thats 5 dice on it, so the nurgle player will probably be looking at all 6 dice to dispel it, then you can use shadow's manoueverability spells with less pressure of dispelling, plus the skink priest's spells.

As most players seem to, you overrate the lore of fire, it is purely damaging, which loses so much versatility, especially when you can get all the spells off a list, and the fire spells are all closely linked by S4 (obviously bar flaming sword). It is not a lore that offers the maneour spells, the fear defence, or pit to kill heralds.

Ultimately, we shall have to see the next tournament after LM are out, but after reading the book, hell my money goes on a well built LM army.