PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Gamers

Malarowski
04-02-2009, 17:24
Following the Wyoming thread I was curious to see if there are players from NJ here since I would love a broader player base here.
I usually play in the 'Jersey Shore Hobby Center' in Sea Girt. There are like 5 tables or so and a group of players that show up more or less regularly. So is anybody else here located in NJ, so that we could maybe play against each other some day? The Colonial GT filled up pretty fast with a lot of players, which gives me hope to find some people besides the people I play anyway. Let me know if you're here in NJ and I am sure at some point we can get some games or a tournament going if enough people are interested.

AngryAngel
04-02-2009, 18:20
Sounding off from New Jersey here. I play at The Comic Book Store in Glassboro New Jersey, have heard of your own FLGS a time or two but have never been there myself. I know there is at least a few diffrent players in the Cherry Hill area as well. Have talked with one over warseer before.

scolex
04-02-2009, 19:15
I play at Dark Tower Games in Denville (Morris County). Usually get a few people there on Monday nights. Haven't been around lately to know about RTTs and such.

chaos0xomega
04-02-2009, 21:40
Hobbytown USA in Newton, NJ (from Sparta, sussex county if you dont know). I've played at Time Warp a few times as well.

scolex, when was the last time you were at Dark Tower Games? Last I heard they stopped having open gaming (and trashed all their tables which were made by a guy I play against at Hobbytown) about 2 years back?

dooombot
04-02-2009, 22:30
Greetings from the Jersey Shore

i frequent the Game Room Store in Brick on rt.88 we have a small (but growing!) group of Fantasy players, some overlap with Jersey Shore Hobby Center & Path to Glory gaming club. good thing is they don't make you pay for using there tables and they stock basically everything GW sells.

Most people are more into 40k around here (ugh!) but we have run quite a few Fantasy RTT's in the past few months.

AngryAngel
04-02-2009, 23:07
Well I'm more a 40k player myself know that system and most army rules like the back of my hand. Fantasy I have been slowly playing and learning. Though its good to see the fellow Jersey gamers come out of the wood work. Hey there everyone !!

Voodoo Boyz
04-02-2009, 23:22
I'm in south NJ, close to Philly. I haven't been to the Echelon Village GW in a while, but I used to go there frequently. I'm also fairly close to Ye Olde Hobby Game Store, though that plays a lot more WM/Hordes rather than WHFB.

Still, there's a pretty decent community of us wargamers in the area. If you're going to the Colonial GT I'll see you there, I live less than 5 minutes from the hotel they hold it at. :D

scolex
05-02-2009, 01:41
They definitely never did any of that. I've been friends with the owner since before the store existed, and being a gamer himself he would never ditch the tables.

Also, I was actually there on Monday, and yup still tables and still free to use.

Oh, and the crowd there now seems to be mainly 40k, but it was a low turnout my last two trips up there.

How are Hobbytown and Timewarp chaos0xomega?

Malarowski
05-02-2009, 02:50
Greetings from the Jersey Shore

i frequent the Game Room Store in Brick on rt.88 we have a small (but growing!) group of Fantasy players, some overlap with Jersey Shore Hobby Center & Path to Glory gaming club. good thing is they don't make you pay for using there tables and they stock basically everything GW sells.

Most people are more into 40k around here (ugh!) but we have run quite a few Fantasy RTT's in the past few months.

Do you guys from the Game Room Store communicate through some forum or so? "We" at JSHC have a yahoo group anybody that's interested should check out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jshcworld , through which we find opponents etc. If you have some players for Fantasy down there I will make sure to come by some day. The only thing I did not like there was the space, seems very tight, but for WHFB I can deal with that. ;)

cerealkiller195
05-02-2009, 04:51
Hudson County, gaming occurs in places like Jersey City, NYC (Compleat Strategist and the GW store in the Village) and the Game Room (Woodbridge Mall).

scolex
05-02-2009, 05:22
I tried going to that GW store once, but it was closed. Oh the nerdrage.

cerealkiller195
05-02-2009, 07:04
which one in the greenwhich village? they run weird hours sometimes. what do you play? and how long have you been playing?

scolex
05-02-2009, 07:21
I really only play Fantasy, but I have a 40k army and Confrontation force sitting around. Been wargaming for about a decade now.

Yeah the Village store.

Malarowski
05-02-2009, 14:38
Yeah I was there once, too. It was full of kids yelling at each other while playing 40k though. Besides that a typical GW, like they have them all over the world. Little space, bad air, and red shirts trying to talk you into stuff. ;)

cerealkiller195
05-02-2009, 17:00
lol yeah i know what you mean but if you go during the day it's nothing but silence, i'm usually free on mondays and thursdays to game (pending i don't spend more time with the significant other..) so if you want to arrange a game of fantasy I would be up to it.

i don't play 40k much anymore 5th ed for some reason didn't spark my interest at all. but in keeping with my team i must muster an army for when we attend tournaments...

I've been wargaming since about 1998 almost exclusively GW games but I enjoy a lot of other skirmish games such as: Spinespur, Dark Age, Infinity, Pulp City, Alkemy, Rezolution as well as a few others that escape me.

Malarowski
06-02-2009, 17:39
What are good days to 'walk in' for WHFB at the Game Room Store? if there is anything like that of course.

chaos0xomega
06-02-2009, 18:27
They definitely never did any of that. I've been friends with the owner since before the store existed, and being a gamer himself he would never ditch the tables.

Also, I was actually there on Monday, and yup still tables and still free to use.

Oh, and the crowd there now seems to be mainly 40k, but it was a low turnout my last two trips up there.

How are Hobbytown and Timewarp chaos0xomega?

Are we talking about the same Dark Tower? The one in Denville? Because this is all news to me!

Hobbytown is blech. When it opened up (and there were two managers) they seemed to cater to gamers a lot more. They actually were working on some nice tables and stuff, but now that one particular manager left it's noob-city, the tables are cafeteria ones with brown or green mats thrown on top, and all terrain is supplied by the gamers (which means if someone decided not to show up one week, your're playing without very much terrain at all). Also, definitely not enough space for the number of people that go there. Usually about 10-12 (depending on whose free/not away at school like I am right now etc.), there are only 2 2x8 tables, which means you're usually playing on a 4x4 area, and thats if you're lucky....

Timewarp on the other hand is pretty awesome, but it's a good bit away from where I live, so I don't go there often.

Gonna have to check out dark tower if I get a chance to play at all this summer.

Brother Drakist
06-02-2009, 18:30
I have played at both JSHC and the Game Room. Both are good stores with good people. JSHC has more tables, and the Game Room seems to have more adults playing. They about even out in my opinion.

dooombot,
I hardly find paying $2 to the JSHC to be a major inconveniance for all of the tables they provide. Perhaps you had a bad experience there, but if your complaining about $2 for a day of gaming then I think it's got to be about something else. However you are right about the Game Room's stock, it's excellent.

dooombot
06-02-2009, 18:35
What are good days to 'walk in' for WHFB at the Game Room Store? if there is anything like that of course.

unfortunately the place is packed every friday night but its mostly 40k. and FoW. the guys who play FoW also have Fantasy armies, but its unusual for them to be playing them on fri. but some are keen to get a game in on the weekend.

there is a Lustria campaign that is starting at the end of the month IIRC, there's a big sheet in the front of the store with peoples email for contact purposes. (the map looks a little small though, never played a lustria campaign but it seems like more people signed up to play than the map can support)

Brother Drakist - $2 isn't bad at all! it's out of the way for me so i never played there, didn't know it was only 2 bucks, i'll have to check it out.

Malarowski
06-02-2009, 18:51
You have to pay for JSHC? That's new to me. I am there for quite a while and never had to pay to use the tables. Payments are only for the cardlings I think, who have a big area downstairs too. Tabletop games are for free though.

scolex
06-02-2009, 22:06
Are we talking about the same Dark Tower? The one in Denville? Because this is all news to me!

Gonna have to check out dark tower if I get a chance to play at all this summer.

Yup, Dark Tower Games in Denville NJ. Also, they may be moving... but just down the road rofl.

chaos0xomega
07-02-2009, 20:58
Interesting.

What are the crowds normally like there?

Also, you guys play fantasy?

blueon462
07-02-2009, 22:43
Hey, central jersey here. I normally play with a group of about 8 of my friends though we've recently headed out and started playing at the game room store.

Malarowski
07-02-2009, 23:38
Hey, central jersey here. I normally play with a group of about 8 of my friends though we've recently headed out and started playing at the game room store.

Central as in the Amboys or even further south? I am in Lincroft. You guys should swing by the JSHC at some point. A message board for that is in an earlier post for scheduling.

scolex
08-02-2009, 02:39
Interesting.

What are the crowds normally like there?

Also, you guys play fantasy?

It is mostly 40k, but you can get some Fantasy going. Crowd bounces between 5-20.

Anyone know a store in/near Morris county with a decent selection of Vallejo Model/Game Color and other modelling/painting supplies? A lot of stores have little to nothing in stock lately, but I would rather support a local shop than save 50 cents on a pot of paint online.

Smitty
08-02-2009, 02:42
Hey all- We've got a good group of guys who play at Time Warp in Cedar Grove every Monday. We play a lot of WHFB, and a staggering amount of other games, too. It's always cool if new people show up, so make it by if you can.

We're also looking at gaming at Maplewood Hobbies on other days of the week. We have quite a few guys just getting inot Flames of War, and Maplewood already does a lot of historical stuff.

cerealkiller195
08-02-2009, 03:34
just came back from the Game Room (wood bridge) fantasy tournament, awesome stuff! Was anyone there today?

Malarowski
08-02-2009, 03:40
just came back from the Game Room (wood bridge) fantasy tournament, awesome stuff! Was anyone there today?

No. We should get some advertising system going. I would have come for sure if I knew about it. Let's figure out a way to 'unite' Jersey gamers, and to get some bigger events going. That'd be awesome.

AngryAngel
08-02-2009, 06:05
It is mostly 40k, but you can get some Fantasy going. Crowd bounces between 5-20.

Anyone know a store in/near Morris county with a decent selection of Vallejo Model/Game Color and other modelling/painting supplies? A lot of stores have little to nothing in stock lately, but I would rather support a local shop than save 50 cents on a pot of paint online.

I don't have a store near there. However, my local store The comic book store in Glassboro NJ, south jersey carries Vallejo paints and supplies in the like. If you'd like to know more about it, send me a message or reply on this thread. I'll send ya some information as I know he will sell and ship your items to you, he's a good friend of mine.

As for uniting Jersey gamers, hell yeah we should be united. Unite the gaming clans. Like dwarf holds, seperated by great distance we should come together in brotherhood.

chaos0xomega
08-02-2009, 06:49
No. We should get some advertising system going. I would have come for sure if I knew about it. Let's figure out a way to 'unite' Jersey gamers, and to get some bigger events going. That'd be awesome.

Well a friend and I have made plans (numerous times) to have "bigger games" (as in games with a fair amount of out-of-state draw...), but organizing something on that scale between the two of us is impossible. No money, college students, time constraints (especially with me), etc.

scolex
08-02-2009, 08:01
I would love to see some kind of NJ area player network for organizing larger events and other such wondrous things.

Perhaps start it via some social network site?

cerealkiller195
09-02-2009, 15:08
sure what do you have in mind? As far as connecting all the NJ gamers?

I know that in the game room in march they are having a fantasy escalation league. Didn't get all the details but i know its 1k to start assembled with some WIP minis allowed every few weeks the points limit goes up.

Also I know they are having another tourney but for 40k in may if anyone is interested. I have to find out the specifics for this also.

Malarowski
09-02-2009, 19:19
Maybe we can just get either a forum or some yahoo group or something. If anybody has a better idea, let us know!

The escalation league thing sounds great. I will check it out for sure! So yeah we could use facebook or something, but I am sure we can find some more elegant solution than that. ;)

Also, I might be starting a Blood Bowl league over at JSHC. Will have to plan it though. Once I know more details, I'll let you guys know. But some system like the OZs have it would be great. With rankings and all.

EDIT2: Here: http://s8.invisionfree.com/New_Jersey_Wargaming/ I set this up for now. Maybe we can use that for all kinds of stuff. Will configure it throughout the day.

If anyone has anything to add there let me know.

blueon462
10-02-2009, 02:45
Central as in the Amboys or even further south? I am in Lincroft. You guys should swing by the JSHC at some point. A message board for that is in an earlier post for scheduling.

We are mostly in howell and farmingdale, with some people in the greater Trenton Area.

Malarowski
10-02-2009, 13:54
Well, then you are not too far away from Sea Girt/Brick where the JSHC and the Game Room Store are, respectively. You should definitely come by one of the weekends or so. Best would be to drop a note on the yahoo-group! Would be great to get some new players.

cerealkiller195
11-02-2009, 04:20
The best days to play at the Game Room in Woodbridge is thursday-saturday other days can be arranged ahead of time of course.

dooombot
12-02-2009, 05:28
Would anyone be interested in a Warband campaign?

Malarowski
12-02-2009, 15:20
I am interested in virtually anything, however I would prefer normal games. Scenarios or varying points would be interesting. Some warband some big games etc.

Malarowski
16-02-2009, 17:07
Before this topic dies.
Is anything going on in NJ in the upcoming weeks? Any tournaments or campaigns?

cerealkiller195
16-02-2009, 18:27
The small escalation league that is running in the game room, in case anyone wants to have a go at some unfinished projects. Starts in march i believe its 2-3 weeks each of 1000, 1250, 1650 and 2250 pt battles. Free to join must have units built, progress will be noted on the status of painting. Prizes at the end.

Malarowski
16-02-2009, 20:46
Sounds great! I will have a look this weekend and sign up for it.

Also: Is anybody planning to play in the Game Room Store on one of the weekend days? If so, what time, what points? :)

Malarowski
26-02-2009, 17:45
Hey, bumping the topic.

Quick question: In the Game Room Store I found some list with a lot of contacts for Fantasy (or so it seemed), also I found information about some Lustria league, but unfortunately no one at the store had a clue what that was about. Does anybody here have information on the aforementioned events, and the escalation league? I asked about it in the store but they had no clue what's going on. Any information/contacts will be greatly appreciated.

dooombot
28-02-2009, 06:07
Hey, bumping the topic.

Quick question: In the Game Room Store I found some list with a lot of contacts for Fantasy (or so it seemed), also I found information about some Lustria league, but unfortunately no one at the store had a clue what that was about. Does anybody here have information on the aforementioned events, and the escalation league? I asked about it in the store but they had no clue what's going on. Any information/contacts will be greatly appreciated.

little late but....
the Lustria thing start Sat. the 28th...they are also having a 40k tourny same day (boo!)...

fubukii
28-02-2009, 08:31
im from philly pa but i venture into the jersey gaming scence to play fantasy from time to time

Yautja
28-02-2009, 09:01
Im glad the to hear the Game Room Store is still going strong. I havent been there in years thanks to work but im about to get out of the Marines and looking to get back into 40k/fantasy.

Lord_of_end_times
08-04-2009, 17:25
I use to play all the time at the Gaming Geek (Forked River), but the shop has since closed down. Now I play at Play-All-Day (Little Egg Harbor). One Love