PDA

View Full Version : Ok little Advice Needed about Ork's

From Shadows
04-02-2009, 23:29
I was thinking of doing a Ork army but only bikes and koptas. Was thinking 2 units of 3 nobs on bikes, a few units of bikers (3-4) probably 5 bikes per unit, and 3 units of 3 koptas, Would this army hold up well and would it be fun to play? The reason i want to start this army is soley based on the FW Orc Warboss on bike, love this model!!! So any advice or help would be great. Again i do not want to use anything BUT bikes and koptas. ( i hope i spelled koptas right? )

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/orkwbbike.htm

the1stpip
05-02-2009, 00:06
Yeah, more Nob Bikers.

I have found units of five tend to do well.

And Deffkoptas are nasty. Have one unit tooled up with big bombs, and maybe two smaller units with Buzz Saws for taking out tanks.

From Shadows
05-02-2009, 01:16
Thanks, what is the ideal numder of koptas per unit i was thinking 3, but not sure as i am not to familiar with Orks.Also what is the best build for the warboss on a bike?

Gensuke626
05-02-2009, 02:48
Warboss on Bike I think the best build is:
Warboss with Cybork, a Power Klaw, an Attack Squig, the Bike and a boss pole.

Also if you want to go with a full biker army you need to build a Wazzdakka model. Well...you don't NEED to...but if you don't then you can't take Bikers as troops and they'd be competing with Deff Koptaz for FA slots.

As to how many Koptaz is right...3 Skwadrons. Doesn't really matter how many in each, but keep them small and spread out so that they're harder to kill as a whole.

the1stpip
05-02-2009, 07:01
I would say 4 deffkoptas in the bommer skwadrun, and 2 in the choppy skwadrun.

And yes, Id assumed Wazdakka as a taken. You cant reliably build the army without him.

Dont forget Power Klaws for all your Bike Boyz Nobs.

kalspriggs
05-02-2009, 07:51
Three deffkopta's is pretty tough/survivable for a skwadrun. As above, this list can cause all kinds of 'urt. Only thing you'll have to watch for is armies with a whole lotta instant death weapons.

willydstyle
05-02-2009, 08:06
A friend of mine took a 60 biker army to 'ard boyz and won the first round with it. Ork bikes are tough and put out good firepower.

marv335
05-02-2009, 11:27
I would go with lots of deathcoptas in squadrons of 5.
I use mine to great effect. they make a great mobile firebase and with their high movement, can get good side/rear armour shots off against tanks.
I'm not a huge fan of Nob Bikers, I'd probably restrict it to one (small) unit of them as they make a great distraction as everyone seems to be terrified of them.
One battlecannon shot on target though, and you can loose half the unit (Instant kill, no FnP)
My basic mantra with Orks is "Boyz before toyz"
For 5th ed you want lost of scoring units

I knocked up a quick 1500pt list on army builder,

(I had to knock the DK sqns down to 3 to save points)

Wazdakka,
Warboss (PK, Attack squig, cybork body, bike)
1x Nob Bikers (3xNobs 1x painboy, 1x PK)
6x 3 Warbikers (each with PK Nob)
3x 3 Deathcoptas (2x big shoota sqn, 1x rokkit, all with 1x buzzsaw)

It's fast, has 6 scoring units, and a ton of firepower.
It might lack numbers in assault though, so you'd have to be very careful in combat and multi charge things.

willydstyle
05-02-2009, 11:30
I would go with lots of deathcoptas in squadrons of 5.
I use mine to great effect. they make a great mobile firebase and with their high movement, can get good side/rear armour shots off against tanks.
I'm not a huge fan of Nob Bikers, I'd probably restrict it to one (small) unit of them as they make a great distraction as everyone seems to be terrified of them.
One battlecannon shot on target though, and you can loose half the unit (Instant kill, no FnP)
My basic mantra with Orks is "Boyz before toyz"
For 5th ed you want lost of scoring units

I knocked up a quick 1500pt list on army builder,

(I had to knock the DK sqns down to 3 to save points)

Wazdakka,
Warboss (PK, Attack squig, cybork body, bike)
1x Nob Bikers (3xNobs 1x painboy, 1x PK)
6x 3 Warbikers (each with PK Nob)
3x 3 Deathcoptas (2x big shoota sqn, 1x rokkit, all with 1x buzzsaw)

It's fast, has 6 scoring units, and a ton of firepower.
It might lack numbers in assault though, so you'd have to be very careful in combat and multi charge things.

It's important to keep biker mobs big and to have bosspoles, so they're not quite as vulnerable to morale and leadership effects. If you Mind War a nob in a 3 ork mob he's probably going down. If you Mind War a nob in a 10 boy mob he's probably going to be fine.

marv335
05-02-2009, 12:04
While what you say is true, large mobs give you 2 scoring units, small mobs give you 6, and you're not going to be playing eldar all the time.
It also means that the opposing player has to divide his firepower. it's easier to concentrate fire on two big mobs than six small ones.

Reflex
05-02-2009, 13:01
Not trying to hijack the thread, but are stormboyz anygood these days? im assuming they are still spooge because no one seems to have them....

marv335
05-02-2009, 13:30
I've tried them, they didn't really work in units of 10. I've just bought another 5.
I think they'll do well in large units. they tend to die really easily so you need enough of them to survive into combat.

Bellygrub
05-02-2009, 14:34
Not trying to hijack the thread, but are stormboyz anygood these days? im assuming they are still spooge because no one seems to have them....

They are a difficult unit to use because of how fragile they are. Leave them unsupported and they're dead. If you use Zagstruk with them they're good for deepstriking into an opponents back lines to cause a single turns worth of chaos.

They're also good at last turn objective contesting or pulling fire off your main units. Most opponents will react quickly to take out that unit rushing quickly toward a flank. Just keep them near cover.

marv335
05-02-2009, 14:41
I use them as a distraction unit at the moment, I put them up a flank to disrupt enemy battleplans. the larger unit should allow them to suffer a few casualties and still be able to be a decisive force in combat.

Try the Who Loves Orks (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33080&page=586) thread for the best advice from Warseers best Waaaghlords :D

From Shadows
05-02-2009, 21:16
Thanks for all the info and help guys.Wazdakka is definetly being used plus a Warboss on bike. Was thinking of 2 units of 3 for the nobs ( on bikes ) and 4 units of 5 for the bikers, and 3 units of 3 for the kopptas.Thanks for the link "Marv"

the1stpip
05-02-2009, 23:03
If you want to use Stormboyz (and I will as soon as I have the money), take Zagstruk.

And I'd take 15 of them, as you will take casualties.