PDA

View Full Version : army choice cunundrum

Negafex
05-02-2009, 00:37
k, a while back i posted a thread about how i was getting into 40k again and couldnt choose between SM or tau. well, my friend let me try his marines, hes got like 10000 points, so i got to try most of everything. to be perfectly honest, i wasnt a fan. i like feilding a lot of models, which space marines have kindof a hard time doing, and i dont like rellying on vehicles for dmg. transport is fine, but for damage i dont want to use something that can get 1 shotted by a lucky lascannon. so, im gonna go with tau. but my friend(the same friend from earlier) tells me that any of non-beardy tau lists always fail horribly, and that you prettymuch have to feild a ton of pirhannas and 3 hammerheads to win anything. is this true? if so, i'll forego tau for....idunno, daemons or something. but if its not true i'd really rather play tau.

ps i hope to enter the tournament scene before too long. as well as being able to win regularly in the local games.

tacoo
05-02-2009, 01:06
what do you want to be the focus of your army, i mean iv played against sm (who hasnt, 50% players are sm nowadays) and iv used tau, orks, necron, and tyranids.

grissom2006
05-02-2009, 01:20
if you want lots of models go with orks guard or nids, personally i'd choose guard but i do field the others too

tacoo
05-02-2009, 01:25
ya im think bout buying guard right now and iv played orks and nids some, orks are numerious even if u make an elite army there still numeroius. tyranids are nice since you can gore pore numbers (they have a F-ing rule in apoc called endless swarms, that must say how swarmy they are), our u can go pore low number evil army, 6 carnifexs suck when u get charged buy them if you aint blood claws (3 powerfist-4 if you have WGBL) or orks with power clow hidden in there. or you could ge with a medianm sorta and go with steeler shock. its up too how you wanna play

Captain Galanus
05-02-2009, 01:54
Yea guard is fun to field in large numbers especially if you like creating your own kinda army theme and unique armor and insignia, and your own backstory, something that you dont have quite as much flexibility with either tau or orks, because the guard are a limitless force
A million worlds under the emperors banner, each fielding its own guardsmen, the posibilities are truly limitless

Unamed Consript
05-02-2009, 01:57
Well, each army has its own play style that works for it. I think tau are really good as mechanised forces, and I mean mechanised, not ooooo look I have 2 devilfish, get ready to be out flanked. Look at the most recent games day winner. He used tau, and that is a great list.

My brother plays Tau with deadly efficancy. But, get this, 0 crisis, and 0 hammerheads. He uses 9 broadsides and 80 fire warriors- in 1500 points.

Captain Galanus
05-02-2009, 02:05
My brother plays Tau with deadly efficancy. But, get this, 0 crisis, and 0 hammerheads. He uses 9 broadsides and 80 fire warriors- in 1500 points.

that's heresy, the space communists cannot win without crisis battlesuits or hammerheads, it is an impossibility, farewell though, because a flying pig just ate my mouse

Negafex
05-02-2009, 02:38
lol. well, guard do sound interesting, but dont they relly very heavily on their vehicles?

anyways, the kind of tau army i would play would use 2 units of stealth suits, probably max size, with fblasters. 3 sniper drone teams. shadowsun(see where im going with this). 3, maybe 4 fire warrior squads, all in devilfish. a couple pathfinder teams cuz markerlights are just ace nowadays.

i think crisis suits are fairly overpriced(or at least they used to be in the 3d ed codex). might take kroot now that they infiltrate. the idea of the army would be nothing that cant move at least 12 inches in a turn.

the biggest reaason i dont want a lot of pirhannas is the price tag. though not horrendous, for any decent number it would run close to $200 with shipping.

tacoo
05-02-2009, 02:53
what i noticed is most army nowadays are eather swarm or mecha so no matter where you go its usually one of those 2

TheEndIsHere
05-02-2009, 02:57
Well, each army has its own play style that works for it. I think tau are really good as mechanised forces, and I mean mechanised, not ooooo look I have 2 devilfish, get ready to be out flanked. Look at the most recent games day winner. He used tau, and that is a great list.

Which is illegal if gonig by the Rulebook/Codex or is not house ruled.

D-End