PDA

View Full Version : GK and Deathwatch fluff: Suggestions please :)

richter
05-02-2009, 02:46
Well, I'm working on my never-ending PH army. Recently I've aquired a couple of GK SM and Termies and also some deathwatch bits (shoulder pads, bolters, etc.).

Since I'm begining a parallel (and much smaller) SM army, It would be nice to fit some GK and Deathwatch on both armys. Basicaly some "one size fits all" kind of thing :)

For that matter I've come up with some fluff and some visual changes:

-Pre-heresy GK Termies:

Looks: Part of Luna Wolves 1st company, justearin colour scheme (black). All round minis look very PH (ornate plates, PH-style helmet, custodian-like halbeards.

Fluff: Librarians where scarce in PH armies, even so, Horus decided to give it a go and assembled a special unit (5 termies) composed by psyker-ish marines. The goal was to determine if having psyker marines was a viable concept. Can be considered as the "prototype" for the actual GK, both in M.O and technology The whole bunch was killed in Istavaan along with the other loyalist Luna Wolves.

Rule wise: Still haven't decided, but so far I see these guys as Veteran Termies with a special talent when it comes to kill chaos-related stuff. No fancy psyk shanannigans, but true chaos-killers :)

Current 40k GK Termies:

Looks: Not the usual GK look. Black Armour with Bronze Trims. Usual GK weapons and Termie Armour. May be supported by a "regular" GK SM (fanbois/groupies) with PH looks or elements.

Fluff: The "Black Armour" GK are almost an outcast squadron. Too loyal and usefull to be "purged", but too unconvencional to be "pure". These guys made the same mistake that some SM chapters (Exorcists) did, they believed that chaos was best fought if it was best known.

The whole thing begun when Termie sarg was possessed by an big bad deamon in a battle. After smaking around his squadron for a while, the shock of turning against battle brothers, made in purge the deamon using nothing but some psyk powers and will power. This gave him the "illuminati" perspective of the warp. After being cleared (although under probation and a close eye) by the inquisition, the sarg managed to show his battle-brothers how this new view and knowledge could be used to serve the Emperor. Soon enough, every one on his squad was an "Illuminati". The Inquisition tried to "purge" them as heretics, but since they've saved some inquisitorial butts and prove their loyalty several times after their "illumination", up to this day they are tolerated and walk on a very fine. They are also phorbidden to use the "holy" colour of the GK. For their tamperings with chaos, black is their new grey :).

Rule-wise: Thinking on making these guys act like regular GKs on a SM army. maybe with support from "regular" GK marines.

Pre-heresy Deathwatch:

Well, this is tricky...According to my scarce fluff knowlge, Deathwatch is a post-heresy concept (along with the inquisition). However, it might me reasoable to assume that the Emperor or the Warmaster, in spite of the "gung-ho" spirit of the GC, where able to assemble "special" teams of elite/veteran marines for cirurgical strikes or special ops.

Looks: The whole deathwatch black+shoulder pad color thing, plus the artificer/relic armour and weapons stuff works well for PH (specially if one uses traitor legion symbols...pretty sweet). My real problem are the Inquisition shoulder pads...They have to stay if these guys are to be used on current 40k armies...Any ideas on how to solve this?

Fluff: Elite team assembled by the Emperor or the Warmaster to inflict critical strikes on Xeno enemys. Composed by SM Veterans from all PH legions.

Rules: follow codex pointers regarding deathwatch kill teams

Post-heresy Deathwatch:

Fluff: Uber-Secret Deathwatch kill team composed by PH veterans...Maybe one of the very first kill teams assembled. Has loyalist members of traitor legions in its ranks. On a "current-day" 40k setting, we can assume that these guys are kept hidden and in statis, only being called for very special assignements.

Rules: follow codex pointers regarding deathwatch kill teams

Sorry for the long read guys. Suggestions and ideas on how to make this PH/Pos-Heresy mini work are most welcome :)

drew25a
05-02-2009, 03:14
for a tutorial on making PRE-HERESY TERMINATOR
SHOULDER PADS see page 95.
http://www.warseer.com/wintermute/Firebase_Issue_Eight.pdf

i ilke your GK reasoning.

death watch.

do u need the shoulder pads?

Pre-heresy there wasent a inquisition so no shoulderpads.

post-heresy if there super elite made off loyal trator marines, kept in status, they may not want to upset the warspirit off there armour by replacing a shoulder pad, or the inq may not want there symbol on guys that they do not trust.

rules. count as sternguard, they virtualy are the same as the old WD kill team rules.

weissengel86
05-02-2009, 08:34
GK and deathwatch didnt exist until after the heresy. The inquisition was founded afterwards and their chamber militants didnt become prevalent until later. There are no pre-heresy deathwatch and GK im afraid to say. The GK and daemonhunters were created because of the horus heresy and the Xenohunters were created to battle the other obvious threat. Several millenia later we have the Ordo Hereticus after the age of apostasy. For the GK the theory is that the marines on the Eisenstein who were the remainders of the loyalists form the traitor legions became or helped form the GK afterwards.

richter
05-02-2009, 10:20
post-heresy if there super elite made off loyal trator marines, kept in status, they may not want to upset the warspirit off there armour by replacing a shoulder pad, or the inq may not want there symbol on guys that they do not trust.

rules. count as sternguard, they virtualy are the same as the old WD kill team rules.

Cool sugestion, totaly agree on the Inquisition thing. What about converting "deathwatch" shoulder pads to something else. It would look cool if these guys had something that set them aside from the usual marines (besides the colour scheme).

GK and deathwatch didnt exist until after the heresy. The inquisition was founded afterwards and their chamber militants didnt become prevalent until later. There are no pre-heresy deathwatch and GK im afraid to say. The GK and daemonhunters were created because of the horus heresy and the Xenohunters were created to battle the other obvious threat. Several millenia later we have the Ordo Hereticus after the age of apostasy. For the GK the theory is that the marines on the Eisenstein who were the remainders of the loyalists form the traitor legions became or helped form the GK afterwards.

Agreed in full, however my "GK" in pre-heresy, weren't GK, but veteran termies with some psyk skill. Maybe the Emperor or someone else pickedup on the project in post-heresy and used psyks to kill chaos-related creatures ;)

As for my "PH-deathwatch", since there is no inquisition and such (thus my dillema with shoulder pads :) ), I see them as an elite team, handpicked by a primarch or even the emperor for critical strikes against xenos enemys, covert ops and such. Tabletop wise, they would work as sternguard or old fashion DW :)

Keep the suggestions coming!