PDA

View Full Version : Alternative uses for plastic stegadon

Griefbringer
05-02-2009, 20:20
Today I glanced through the latest WD in library, and noticed the two pages covering all the bits in the new plastic stegadon - and there seems to be a stonking lot of them. While I personally might have a slight preference for the look of the old steggie (a bit closer to historical dinos, while the new one has more fantasy elements), I have to admit that the new stegadon kit seems to produce a one big and impressive model, with lots of conversion possibilities.

However, that raises the issue of what conversion possibilities there are beyond the regular lizardman uses (which are already several). Some that I am aware of are listed below.

1.) Chaos warshrine (WoC): this was first suggested by some folks in the rules forum. Replace the skinks with chaos warriors/marauders, and add the usual array of chaos elements (icons, gory trophies, spikes, shields, skulls, tentacles, spawn bits, slaaneshi cultists having a wild orgy ets.) and throw in a suitable paint job, and the ruinous powers should favour you!

2.) Empire steam-o-don: fresh from the steampunk forges of Imperial Engineering College, this mechanical stegadon will be trialled as a substitute for the steam tank. To build yours, build an armoured gun turret on the howdah, add a few exhaust pipes for the hot steam, and perhaps an engineer somewhere. Paint in a metallic colour, eg. bronze, but remember to first read that Jules Verne book with mechanical elephant.

3.) Empire steam-war-altar-o-don: trialled by the more radical followers of Sigmar, the new steam-o-don variant will carry them to battle to trample their enemies. On the howdah, build an altar for Sigmar, attended by a preaching warrior priest. For further flavour, add some flagellants engaged in the act of self-martyrisation by various gross but imaginative means.

4.) Dark elf war lizard, for those druchii too poor to afford a multi-headed hydra.

As a side result, you are likely to end up with some spare skink crew models that you can swap/donate to local lizardman players.

I guess WH40K players might also find some wild uses for the model, but these are better discussed somewhere else.

innerwolf
05-02-2009, 20:25
What about Hellcannon? It fits the profile, and the cannon could be modelled on top of the platform as some sort of daemonic mortar. Converting the Stegadon into something a bit more daemonic would seal the job.

Nomad
05-02-2009, 20:27
Ogre Scraplauncher. Get rid of the Skinks and the giant bow, stick something that looks like a catapult in the howdah, and add a Gnoblar crew. Seeing as so many Ogres are mercenaries, it doesn't seem too outlandish to see them using a Stegadon.

Griefbringer
05-02-2009, 20:59
After some more thinking, I came up with the following:

5.) Zombie-o-don: for the self-respecting necromancer unfortunately ship-wrecked in the Southlands, an undead stegadon is the fashionable alternative for a corpse cart! Just load it with sufficient amount of unholy artifacts and spare corpses, and lead your undying legions to victory! A little bit of modelling and a suitable paint job should lead to the big lizard looking suitably decayed, and a thrifty necromancer can further keep the theme by converting the skink crew into zombies!

6.) Big fat flying lizard: if you can nick from somewhere a spare set of big plastic wings, you might be able to convert your stegadon into a very fat wyvern. This would allow the self-respecting orc warlord to fly into battle with his favourite gobbo servants hanging in the howdah.

7.) Ogre mounts. Remember those ogre rhinox rider rules in the WD? Perhaps some enterprising ogres have ended up in the Southlands, lost their rhinox on the way, and decided to instead capture a few of the local lizards for mounts. There should be plenty of room in the howdah for even the biggest of ogres.

Disciple of Caliban
05-02-2009, 21:10
7.) Ogre mounts. Remember those ogre rhinox rider rules in the WD? Perhaps some enterprising ogres have ended up in the Southlands, lost their rhinox on the way, and decided to instead capture a few of the local lizards for mounts. There should be plenty of room in the howdah for even the biggest of ogres.

I quite like this one, though it would make for a pricy unit!

Avian
05-02-2009, 21:17
Since Ogre Rhinox Riders are available for hire to just about any army (IIRC), it should not be difficult to convert up a stegadon with whatever crew you prefer, counting as an ogre riding it a rhinox.

Griefbringer
05-02-2009, 22:29
That is an interesting idea, Avian. How about a Lustrian wood elf army, with treekin riding the stegadons?

As for the price, I thought that the plastic stegadons would be slightly cheaper than the FW Rhinox. However, this is not quite the case - Stegadon costs 25, while Rhinox seems to be 25.40 but comes with a sprue for two ogre bulls, while the stegadon provides 7 plastic skinks instead. So pretty much the same price, depending on whether you want skinks or ogres.

StarFyreXXX
05-02-2009, 22:42
40K Ork squiggoth

Mozzamanx
05-02-2009, 22:45
Combine him with a Giant and some greened armour, and you've got yourself Kholek.

the_picto
05-02-2009, 23:32
I guess WH40K players might also find some wild uses for the model, but these are better discussed somewhere else.

I was thinking of using it for a Khorne herald on chariot for my 40k Daemons. Fantasy Daemons have those too right?

Bregalad
06-02-2009, 01:13
I will put the static current Dark Elf Cauldron of Blood on its back, so it can move.
Another Stegadon will be a transport for my Kroot ;)

Halelel
06-02-2009, 01:38
After some more thinking, I came up with the following:

6.) Big fat flying lizard: if you can nick from somewhere a spare set of big plastic wings, you might be able to convert your stegadon into a very fat wyvern. This would allow the self-respecting orc warlord to fly into battle with his favourite gobbo servants hanging in the howdah.

Haha, this one made my day. For some reason, the sight of a stegadon on a large flying base with some tiny wings that supposedly keep it afloat just seems like a great idea. For the not-so-serious gamer of course.

Braad
06-02-2009, 07:45
I was thinking of just a random critter, deployed in a forest on the edge and charging anything juicy.

Laughingmonk
06-02-2009, 08:18
You could use it for a severely disturbing war alter. Hmmm.... I might try that when the time comes....

ChaosVC
06-02-2009, 08:23
Play empire southland colonial army?

Stegedon mounted with cannon.

Knights and pistoller righing cold ones.

Hunters using blow pipe? as skink skirmishers

empire swordsman with 2 orges inside the regiment.

Hunters with bulging eyes wearing sun glasses as chameleon skinks?

Razadon with hellblaster barrels behind their back?

Salamander with mortar behind the back?

Man tied to rockets with cloth and stick wings as teradons?

Put a preist on top of a stagedon? Walterdon?

snurl
06-02-2009, 09:30
Power source for dwarven flywheel?

Griefbringer
06-02-2009, 10:27

Instead of the rockets, I would rather go for the Birdmen models from the DoW range.

Gillburg
07-02-2009, 04:06
ashtray :D

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 08:27

Stegedon mounted with cannon.

Knights and pistoller righing cold ones.

Hunters using blow pipe? as skink skirmishers

empire swordsman with 2 orges inside the regiment.

Hunters with bulging eyes wearing sun glasses as chameleon skinks?

Razadon with hellblaster barrels behind their back?

Salamander with mortar behind the back?

Put a preist on top of a stagedon? Walterdon?

i really really like this idea. :)

theunwantedbeing
07-02-2009, 08:33
It doesnt go in other armies well.
Although the howdah and it's assorted attachments do make for some cool conversion oppertunities for other armies.

It makes a good 40k squiggoth though.

Annoyingly as the new one is plastic (damn GW) it's nowhere near as good as the old version at being a paperweight.

Condottiere
07-02-2009, 08:40
Elf Colonials with Bow of the Seafarer in howdah going tiger hunting in Ind.

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 08:51
Annoyingly as the new one is plastic (damn GW) it's nowhere near as good as the old version at being a paperweight.

.........which is a bad thing?

i just popped open my steg box, and it looks fantastic. i really wish i could fit it into my painting schedule, but that isnt happening with my DE 1/3 finished and my WHAB romans that i just finished putting together.

Draxas
07-02-2009, 08:57
For 40k, someone going for an Eldar Exodites theme could make good use of it, as they are noted for using giant lizards/dragons as war beasts.

Sylass
07-02-2009, 10:21
Combine him with a Giant and some greened armour, and you've got yourself Kholek.

Considering the size/shape of these two plastic kits, would this actually work?

Condottiere
07-02-2009, 11:10
Ersatz Rhinox?

Disciple of Caliban
07-02-2009, 15:12
Considering the size/shape of these two plastic kits, would this actually work?

I dont think it would work with the current giant. Though i do like the idea, and think the old O+G giant would work quite well on a stegadon. Thats definately an idea worth considering

Griefbringer
07-02-2009, 15:27
However, trying to combine the top half of the old metal O&G giant with the body of the plastic stegadon would probably lead to serious balancing problems. So you would need to use the older metal stegadon instead.

Disciple of Caliban
07-02-2009, 17:42
However, trying to combine the top half of the old metal O&G giant with the body of the plastic stegadon would probably lead to serious balancing problems. So you would need to use the older metal stegadon instead.
I'm not sure about this, i think you'd probably be ok, at worst, you'd need to weight the stegadon a bit, but thats not too hard.

ruttman15
07-02-2009, 21:14
40k little squigoth

Neknoh
08-02-2009, 11:00
Don't attatch the triceratops plates to the back of its head

Do not attatch the hatch-esque part that is above the neck (basically the upper side of the neck, it comes in two plastic pieces IIRC).

Break out the greenstuff and PVC piping

???

Hellcannon profit

Daredevil
08-02-2009, 15:35
Ogre Scraplauncher or a Hellcannon has been mentioned a couple of times and that seems the way to go, with a little conversion that should look awesome.

Ironbreaker
08-02-2009, 17:09
Is it the same base-size as anything in the Orcs and Goblin army?

I'd like an excuse to get one. :)

Neknoh
08-02-2009, 17:19
Chariots
Unit filler
Giant Squigg de luxe?

Griefbringer
08-02-2009, 18:47
It is a bit bigger than the new giant, so you might be able to convert an interesting giant alternative by replacing the skink crew with gobboes and mounting various big mechanical implements on the howdah, say a massive mechanical hammer that can be pulled with ropes to pound the enemy, a big lifta-droppa (a noose on the end of long beam) to pick enemies and so on. Then again, getting the giant might be easier.

I think it would be great chariot substitute in a savage orc army (in case somebody is still playing a one), representing a tribe of orcs who are too dim to figure out how a wheel works so they instead had to strap the chariot to the back of a big lizard!

Disciple of Caliban
08-02-2009, 19:14
^^ I wouldnt actually strap a chariot to the lizard, but just mount a few savage orcs in the howdah. Still, a giant chariot lashed to a squigoth would look uber cool :)

yabbadabba
08-02-2009, 19:29
recreate 1 million years BC with a carnosaur, a stegadon and a skink converted to Raquel Welch!

Am I helping?

penguin663
08-02-2009, 19:35
It makes a good Warshrine if you extend the howdah with a bit foamboard, as I did with mine(click link if you want to see it in its WIP stage) . Also the engine of the Gods looks awfully familiar. *Cough* Stargate *Cough*

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/penguin663/100_0598.jpg

swifty2
08-02-2009, 20:26
I'm planning to use them to represent chimeras in my new 40k feral imperial guard army.

Arguleon-veq
08-02-2009, 21:18
I like the Hellcannon idea.

I have been trying to think of what I could use as an organic Hellcannon model for a while to go in a Kholek army and the best I could come up with is either a conversion of Biovores or the LotR Mumak with a Catapult on the back.

Kronos
08-02-2009, 23:36
A fat one headed hydra, could be some sort of large cave dwelling lizard from naggaroth, big gut being due to the "firemaking" organs in its gut.

Also could very easily be used to make great knarlocs for Kroot.

and lastly would be good to use as war trucks for orks in a feral ork army using normal ork rules.