PDA

View Full Version : Ork Kommandos, worth it?

Ork_Warboss
06-02-2009, 01:05
Hey was looking to make a ork army, themed around kommandos, with snikrot of course :)

So I was looking at them..they don't look too great to me.

Same stats as ork boyz, infiltrate (pretty fun/good), move through terrain (ehh) and stikkbombs (ehh..) for 4 more points. And there nob as worse stats then boyz nob, huh?!

Grimtuff
06-02-2009, 01:13
Kommandos with Snikrot you say?

Something about Bears in Woods should be mentioned at this point. ;)

Gensuke626
06-02-2009, 01:43
Hey was looking to make a ork army, themed around kommandos, with snikrot of course :)

So I was looking at them..they don't look too great to me.

Same stats as ork boyz, infiltrate (pretty fun/good), move through terrain (ehh) and stikkbombs (ehh..) for 4 more points. And there nob as worse stats then boyz nob, huh?!

Where are you looking that the Kommando Nob has worse stats than a Boyz Nob? They look identical to me.

With Snikrot Kommandoz are really...Kind of Disgusting. Burnaz from Behind is a common and deadly tactic amongst the Blood Axe inclined players around here.

MrGiggles
06-02-2009, 02:14
I always have fun with my Kommandos. About half the time, they come in at weird times and in odd places, but they tend to cause my opponent consternation while trying to figure out what I'll do with them.

I haven't tried Snikrot yet, but he's gross.

Besides, the models are great.

Ork_Warboss
06-02-2009, 02:23
Where are you looking that the Kommando Nob has worse stats than a Boyz Nob? They look identical to me.

Ooops was looking at ard boyz 4+ save :P

And what do you mean snikrot is gross/disgusting? In good way or bad way?

Gensuke626
06-02-2009, 03:30
Imagine Snikrot and 14 Kommandoz, 2 of them with power Weapons, Coming in from your enemy's long table edge. They advance 6", call the waagh and run, or just fire pisols at something, then they charge in for some good orky killing.

That's what they USUALLY do.

NotMyIfurita
06-02-2009, 03:33
I've had Snikrot and only 9 buddies with 2 burnas come in and eat a whirlwind, scout squad, allied dire avengers, rhino, predator and Marine Captain over the course of 3 turns.. that's what he means by gross. Hand to hand goons in the back without getting to shoot at them..

I love kommandos..

JCOLL
06-02-2009, 04:25
I gotta second that. Too many times have they made my day. Mmmmm....Kommandos.

pox
06-02-2009, 04:56
throwing in another warboss that swears by them. I run them in a unit of 15, with two burnas and a nob with boss pole and banner pole. I have not played a single game where they didn't do something to make their points back.

if I didn't think it was so cheesy, I would totally try three units of them, with snikrot in one of the units. I personally think it would be as devastating as three units of lootas.

slingersam
06-02-2009, 06:49
The komandos did ok for me I guess they can be devistating
but I still havent see it yet. But thats not the komandos fault
Its because I never had a chance to do anything with them yet
havent versed SM, or any other elite type squad.

Moriarty
06-02-2009, 07:18
Why are you wasting time on a forum? Get painting the things and put them on the table.

Lanparth
06-02-2009, 07:35
I run Kommandos. At one Apoc game they were responsible for destroying 600 points in enemy tanks before finally put down by an enemy command squad :D

IAMNOTHERE
06-02-2009, 07:45
Kommnadoes engender fear in your opponent, take a good look in their eyes when you say you're bringing Snikrot - fear.

Now they have to change their whole battle plan, now they can't leave those soft units within 12" of their table edge, now the rear armour is exposed, play on this fear.

Then look at Snikrot himself, awsome model, awsome stats.

vman
06-02-2009, 08:02
well i dont play orks, but yeh to me they put a spanner in the works (im a guard player)

to counter these guys i jam everything into a corner so tightly that they cannot enter the table edge to take out the targets im trying hard to keep hidden away... this at least forces them to enter from a different side or at least from a different angle

yeh... i dont like deepstrike units and the like

the1stpip
06-02-2009, 09:24
They are sick.

I am thinking of running a list with three units.

pootleberry
06-02-2009, 11:16
Kommandos are superb. Even if you don't take Snikrot and just stick with the 'normal' nob they are still useful troops. If you field an ork army with plenty of boyz then one problem you may encounter is one of being outmanouvred (hate spelling that word and I know I've got it wrong again) but having the threat of kommandos coming on next to the enemy should make them bunch up a little. I would definitely use Snikrot as the threat of coming on precisely where you want him to is very powerful.

I wouldn't necessarily have a full squad mind as if they destroy their first target, and get flat footed out in the open, then they might get rapid fired to death.

Whenever I've used them they have been well worth it.

Just think, if you're facing a static gunline with troops right at the back of enemy's deployment then he will probably station them a little further forward than usual if he knows Snikrot is taking him from behind, in which case his troops will be closer to your boyz - lovely!

Darkhorse
06-02-2009, 11:44
Speaking as a Bloodaxe Warlord, Yeah, definately worth it.
They were better back when they could have tankbusta bommz but the Power Klaw isn't too shoddy (This is why I run a normal Nob and not Snikrot) and the burnas are the better option now (though I still take my big shootas).
They aren't as all powerful as they used to be, but something has to come down when everything else went up and they weren't made completely useless like Tankhuntas.

Johnnyfrej
06-02-2009, 13:46
Kommnadoes engender fear in your opponent, take a good look in their eyes when you say you're bringing Snikrot - fear.

More like annoyance for most good Guard players ;)

Laser guided fanatic
06-02-2009, 13:52
Are Kommandoes a plastic kit or metal?

IAMNOTHERE
06-02-2009, 13:56
There's a metal box of 5, 2 metal special weapons guys, a commando Nob in metal and Snikrott made from pure win.

EVIL INC
06-02-2009, 15:04
I plan on getting Snickrot cause I like the model and I like his special rules even more. Dont plan on using the "official" models though. Gonna convert from AoBR boyz.

gonzosbignose
06-02-2009, 15:10
Kommandos really are fab.

I think some of thetournement lists that are going around dont use them becuase of concentrated tactics, (numbers)(nob bikes et al)

But they do have a real factor which means your opponent has to re think and re jig plans.

I'm doing three units of 15. 1 based on the real models with snikrot. 1 based on swat team styles! with ropes et al. 1 in ghily suits.

All cool

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

freddythebig
06-02-2009, 16:30
Are Kommandoes a plastic kit or metal?

There are metal Kommando models but as with all things Orky there is no reason why you cannot convert some of your own out of basic boyz. Just make sure that they are obvious as to what they are.

the1stpip
06-02-2009, 17:42
I converted mine from plastic, just gave them Green Stuff sleeves, and some plasticard backpacks.

Very cheap, and lots of fun.

Laser guided fanatic
06-02-2009, 17:50
There are metal Kommando models but as with all things Orky there is no reason why you cannot convert some of your own out of basic boyz. Just make sure that they are obvious as to what they are.

Thanks, i thought the kit was plastic but looks like i'll get some boyz and just convert them now.

Darkhorse
06-02-2009, 19:31
The Lootas/Burnas sprue has a good gas mask head which fits in well with the metal models.