PDA

View Full Version : A Newb Runesmith Question

Simkin78
06-02-2009, 00:17
Hey all,
I'm just getting into Fantasy Dwarfs and I'm looking at very small games right now (1500 points). In looking at Runesmiths, not Runelords, I wonder if they can take an Anvil? If so, is it the Anvil of Doom or simply a lesser anvil that isn't mentioned in the book? I only ask because it appears as though the only Anil mentioned is the Anvil of Doom and without being able to take an anvil, what would be the point of taking a Runesmith?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

nosferatu1001
06-02-2009, 00:20
Simkin - only Runelords can take Anvils of Doom. There is no "anvil of almost doom" - essentially you can only do what your book tells you, regardless of if you think there is then a point to that unit. If "this unit is cr*p" was a reason to change rules OK and Empire would have some BIG changes, to name but two armies!

The point for me however? Extra dispel dice to shut down magic heavy armies, e.g. Vamps and Daemons, fluffy if you want to theme your army e.g. runelord and smiths.

Simkin78
06-02-2009, 00:33
Simkin - only Runelords can take Anvils of Doom. There is no "anvil of almost doom" - essentially you can only do what your book tells you, regardless of if you think there is then a point to that unit. If "this unit is cr*p" was a reason to change rules OK and Empire would have some BIG changes, to name but two armies!

The point for me however? Extra dispel dice to shut down magic heavy armies, e.g. Vamps and Daemons, fluffy if you want to theme your army e.g. runelord and smiths.

Got it. To be honest that's what I figured. The book seemed a little contradictory because it gives rules for Runesmiths striking runes and then a separate set of rules for Runelords striking runes during combat. It's a bit confusing because if you can only take an Anvil with a Runelord and he's the only one who can use the anvil, what's the point in having rules for Runesmiths striking runes when they can't strike runes at all?
Maybe I'm just confusing myself but it seems odd to me. I appreciate the help.

Nurgling Chieftain
06-02-2009, 01:05
I think that's just nomenclature confusion; the runelord is really just a particularly high-ranking runesmith as far as the writers are concerned.

Simkin78
06-02-2009, 02:46
I think that's just nomenclature confusion; the runelord is really just a particularly high-ranking runesmith as far as the writers are concerned.

So then, do you think a Runesmith can strike runes during combat? I know he can't take the Anvil of Doom as that's specific to Runelords, but why have rules for the Runesmith striking runes if he can't strike any?
Not trying to harp on this, I just want to make sure I know my army all the way before I wind up looking stupid with an illegal list. Thanks for the responses!

Dokushin
06-02-2009, 04:42
The only references I can find in the Dwarven armybook are to Runelords striking runes on the Anvil. Where are you seeing the Runesmith reference?

WLBjork
06-02-2009, 07:25
The first paragraph of page 31 - it starts by using Runelord, then switches to Runesmith.

That looks to be a printers error. Runesmiths cannot join an avil unit and help strike the runes (that's what Thorek is for).

nosferatu1001
06-02-2009, 08:15
Yes - the only "Smith" who helps out is the special character.

The difference between the two categories is age - the 'Smith is a young whippersnapper of only 100 or so ;)

Nurgling Chieftain
06-02-2009, 16:43
So then, do you think a Runesmith can strike runes during combat?As long as that Runesmith is a Runelord with an Anvil of Doom, yes. :cool:

Simkin78
06-02-2009, 17:25
Yep, I messed up alright!
I remembered reading Thorek's rules (3+ when striking ancient power), misplaced them for a standard Runelord and then thought the Runelords rules were that of a standard Runesmith. I appreciate the help all. Like I said, total newb question.:)

nosferatu1001
06-02-2009, 19:35
No worries, it happens :)

tirbar
07-02-2009, 00:50
only rune lords can take an anvil