PDA

View Full Version : Bought the codex a day early for lizardmen

vamp
06-02-2009, 03:12
my friend will be playing them. We are both new to warhammer but not new to GW gaming.

One thing I noticed from my analysis of the book is that the characters and lords are insanely powerful.....but their costs reflect such.

Overall. fair.

Bac5665
06-02-2009, 03:24
I didn't know there were lizardmen in 40k. Cool.

I got the lizardmen Armybook today, and its pretty cool. I want a skink chief on a terradon so bad.

loveless
06-02-2009, 03:29

I got the lizardmen Armybook today, and its pretty cool. I want a skink chief on a terradon so bad.

You know what's funny? Everyone knows EXACTLY what a person means if they say "Codex" in Fantasy, but there's always someone who has to jump forward, in true nerdy fashion, push their glasses up their nose and say "Uh, I think you mean 'Army Book'".

:p

Roxors45
06-02-2009, 04:18
Point being Codex has an aura of sci-fi built right into its name (the awesome X I assume). Ive always called it any army book. Whatever. But maybe the lizardmen army book SHOULD be called a codex because it is indeed awesome.

Bac5665
06-02-2009, 05:08
It just bugs me. I think it shows that you think fantasy is less important than 40k to you, and that bothers me on a fantasy forum. Its just like calling psychology "morale." They are separate games, and I like it when they stay that way.

But yes, it was crazy nerdy of me.

Mireadur
06-02-2009, 12:09

So after all your moaning, now that you ''got'' the book, it's cool? :wtf:

EDIT: i guess we could convince you that the book is nice, so thats good =)

Gabacho Mk.II
06-02-2009, 12:14
So after all your moaning, now that you ''got'' the book, it's cool? :wtf:

EDIT: i guess we could convince you that the book is nice, so thats good =)

Wait. If someone disagrees with the writers of a rule/armybook stats/etc, they are automatically "moaning"?

Hmmmm..... just how is that mate?

Mireadur
06-02-2009, 12:23
Wait. If someone disagrees with the writers of a rule/armybook stats/etc, they are automatically "moaning"?

Hmmmm..... just how is that mate?

:eyebrows:

mweaver
06-02-2009, 12:38
I'm hoping we can pick up a copy tonight.

And a stegadon or two.

Bac5665
06-02-2009, 15:04
I've always said I liked the book. It makes my saurus/slann list better. I've simply maintained that the magic items/special choices are really underwhelming, and in pretty obvious, fixable ways.

The SkaerKrow
06-02-2009, 16:10
Having picked up the Army Book last night, I can honestly say that I'm pretty well terrified of it. Lizardmen are going to wreck every Elven army put before them, barring expert use of a Dragon build.

I really can't believe people are seriously complaining about this update. Lizardmen now have a great selection of completely viable units, which means that their armies will now be able to showcase variety without losing their competitive edge for that fact.

nathonicus
06-02-2009, 16:21
Point being Codex has an aura of sci-fi built right into its name (the awesome X I assume). Ive always called it any army book. Whatever. But maybe the lizardmen army book SHOULD be called a codex because it is indeed awesome.

What the...?

Codex only has an association with scifi because of 40k. It's a very appropriate word for use with Lizardmen, as the ancient Aztecs (from whom the lizardmen draw inspiration) had books which are nearly always referred to as Codeci. So Codex Lizardmen is actually probably a better title. :P

I got mine yesterday, and while nothing struck me as being over the top, I was saddened to see Kroxes go down to str 4, having been str 5 since the first book. It's a good looking book, and I look forward to using and reading it thoroughly, but at first blush there are some things that annoy me:

1. Typos. So. Many. Typos. The Slann is referred to at one point as being a "Magwe" instead of a mage. For Pete's sake, spellcheck would catch that!
2. No shortbows for skinks. :(
3. No spear option for Terradon riders, despite the fact that the models are clearly holding spears.

Other than those things, the list looks solid, the example armies are pretty neat, and the color section is nice. I'm also happy to see spawnings go out, as I didn't like the fact that the color you painted your army was suddenly tied to rules. In 5th I painted some units green and some red, and it would be annoying to constantly explain, "No those guys don't have mark x, they're just red."

The coolest thing though? Droppin' rocks is back!

Roxors45
06-02-2009, 16:36
What the...?

Codex only has an association with scifi because of 40k. It's a very appropriate word for use with Lizardmen, as the ancient Aztecs (from whom the lizardmen draw inspiration) had books which are nearly always referred to as Codeci. So Codex Lizardmen is actually probably a better title. :P

I got mine yesterday, and while nothing struck me as being over the top, I was saddened to see Kroxes go down to str 4, having been str 5 since the first book. It's a good looking book, and I look forward to using and reading it thoroughly, but at first blush there are some things that annoy me:

1. Typos. So. Many. Typos. The Slann is referred to at one point as being a "Magwe" instead of a mage. For Pete's sake, spellcheck would catch that!
2. No shortbows for skinks. :(
3. No spear option for Terradon riders, despite the fact that the models are clearly holding spears.

Other than those things, the list looks solid, the example armies are pretty neat, and the color section is nice. I'm also happy to see spawnings go out, as I didn't like the fact that the color you painted your army was suddenly tied to rules. In 5th I painted some units green and some red, and it would be annoying to constantly explain, "No those guys don't have mark x, they're just red."

The coolest thing though? Droppin' rocks is back!

Agreed and good history lesson. Got my book today too and I love it. I find that the best thing to do is make people aware of the drop rocks ability. Just having 4 terradons hanging in a wood scares the s**t out of my opponent knowing that their character shouldnt leave his unit. I found its a great tactic against VC and Demons, two of the hardest armies to fight (DE too since almost all cahracters are found in units.) Pelt a unit with stegadon fire, razor/sallie, and slann magic til the unit starts getting low prompting the character to want to bail ship. Terradons can just fly over the single model and destroy it. Though they have been moaned about for losing spears (theyre javelins, just skinks are small so look like spears) and an attack this pyschological effect can make up for it.

Buddha777
06-02-2009, 18:25

Well in fairness there is a scenario in the Necron codex that allows you to pit Lizardmen vs Necrons so the word 'codex' might not be entirely untrue. ;)

Desert Rain
06-02-2009, 22:16
I will probably get mine tomorrow, but as I feel a bit ill today I might have to wait until next week :(

I think that the LM might be one of the most balanced armies in the game and I hope that the upcoming army books will continue on that road.

Kodamas
06-02-2009, 22:27
I received mine a week and a half ago.

Despite the errors it is a very nice book and the background is solid (minor error here and there and not enough about the dragon isles) and the modeling section is also very good.

Only gripe is the magic items section. Why did they even put it in the book. Not enough options and far too many one use only items.

Desert Rain
07-02-2009, 21:00
I got my copy of it today, and I must say that i love it! The wealth of background information made me smile several times. I missed material about the Southlands and the Dragon Isles.
I like the internal balance between the units, every one of them is a good choice so it's really hard to choose an army as you want to have everything ;)

ruttman15
07-02-2009, 21:07
Bac5665, really, hes new. IT DOESNT MATTER IF HE DIDNT KNOW THE TERM ARMY BOOK :p

wingedserpant
07-02-2009, 23:08
It just bugs me. I think it shows that you think fantasy is less important than 40k to you, and that bothers me on a fantasy forum. Its just like calling psychology "morale." They are separate games, and I like it when they stay that way.

Now imagine something that was actually bad happened to you...

Maine
07-02-2009, 23:11

Yet it's still a perfectly valid word to use, because "codex" is Latin for "book". It's used in 40K because the Imperium uses a lot of Latin derived words for everything, so it's fitting for the setting. As has been mentioned, it's use in 40K is what gives the word an (unfair) sci fi stereotype.

Condottiere
08-02-2009, 01:22
I like using the word codex; if I do mention it in the context of fantasy, it's deliberate.

Neckutter
08-02-2009, 02:27

But yes, it was crazy nerdy of me.

i get what you mean, but i always say my DE crossbowmen get -1 to hit for "rapid-firing"

:)

Shamfrit
08-02-2009, 02:35
So he's not allowed to give preference to one set of terminology? Having played, and currently still playing several different game systems I regularily mix up, interchange and utilise one set of words to explain what I'm trying to say in X game. I oft use 'Protection From' when I mean Magic Resistance or Immune to Psychology, and nearly always say 'your standby phase' instead of 'your turn X,' it's perfectly easy to do, and when you know exactly what I mean or what the other player means, pointing out the correct term is, at it's very best, petty.

As has been pointed out, Codex is an apt term for a Lizardmen book, and it's a Latin derivative, reflecting it's source material but at the same time, since the Empire is very 'oh god gothic' why can't 'Army Books' be called Codesi/Codi/Codex? What is this intrinsic need to distance one game from the other? Forgive me for speaking as a Fantasy and 40k player, but if somebody asks me what I'm playing/painting, no matter what model it is or game, I always say 'I'm playing Warhammer,' love the game for what it is, there's enough army rivalry and RAW/RAI divides as it is, without creating a semantic sub-cult as well :p