PDA

View Full Version : Engine of the Gods attack magical?

TroyJPerez
06-02-2009, 07:38
Was just curious if the engine of the gods area effect attack was magical? Its not a spell, and it never says its magical, but it does happen in the magic phase. Would this make it magical?

walo
06-02-2009, 07:58
yes, that is an effect in magical phase, so it is magical...

TroyJPerez
06-02-2009, 08:11
So by that logic every single attack that can be made in the magic phase is magical? Unles stated otherwise?

Necromancy Black
06-02-2009, 08:31
There's nothing saying spells or magic weapons attacks are magical.

Asmodiseus
06-02-2009, 08:34
Yet another reason why magical attacks need to be defined by GW. Simply stateing that any attack that happens in the magic phase is magical is false as obviously Skeleton archers who get to fire in the magic phase are not magical, neither are attacks made by ghouls who have had Van Hels cast upon them while in combat. As a general rule I consider the following magical attacks

- Any spell/prayer/incantation/ etc. cast by a wizard that does direct damage to a unit
- Any item bought in the magic item section of an army book that does direct damage to a unit
- Any unit that has a special rule or item that states it does magical attacks

Im probably missing something but thats my basic list. For the EotG Personally it seems to act as a sort of bound spell the skink priest may use but that is undispelable, so as such I personally would say it counts as magical, but I have no solid proof to back this up with.

nosferatu1001
06-02-2009, 09:10
I would say magical, as it mentions in the rules for EotG that the effects cannot be dispelled. THat indicates it's like the old Huanchi banner, which triggered in the magic phase byut could not be dispelled.

If people say it isn't magical, then they need to show where the mundane weapon is....

Neckutter
06-02-2009, 10:24
the attack happens in the magic phase, and it isnt a missle weapon. while, there is no RAW for this, it is obviously magical in nature. what else is it, for crying out loud? :)

HiveFleetEzekial
06-02-2009, 11:03
I would say magical, as it mentions in the rules for EotG that the effects cannot be dispelled. THat indicates it's like the old Huanchi banner, which triggered in the magic phase byut could not be dispelled.

If people say it isn't magical, then they need to show where the mundane weapon is....

Likewise it could mean that 'though this looks, feels, smells, tastes like a spell, it is not, and thus cannot be dis-spelled'. With how shodily GW word things lately... Not hard to come to that posibility.

EvC
06-02-2009, 12:20
I would say it counts as a magical attack. As has been noted, nothing in the rulebook actually takes the time to spell out what a magical attack is in the first place, so a slight level of common sense is required to determine it.

Just like the Flame Cannon debate. Yes, people could claim it wasn't a flaming attack by RAW, but at the end of the day, GW finally put out an FAQ saying, yes, the Flame Cannon gives flaming attacks. An attack that happens solely in the magic phase is certainly magical.

Kalandros
06-02-2009, 21:04
I forget where I've read this but..

'Anything that happens in the magical phase is magic'

So anything that takes effect in the Magic Phase, will result in magical damage.

Neckutter
06-02-2009, 21:28
i disagree with kalandros' statement, because it is too general... but i could see it working most of the time.

Necromancy Black
06-02-2009, 22:36
Perhaps it would be better to say "Anything specific to the magic phase is magical". So spells that let units shoot their ranged weapons won't be magically as they shoot in the shooting phase as well.

There really isn't a clear cut case here.

Dokushin
06-02-2009, 23:35
Perhaps it would be better to say "Anything specific to the magic phase is magical". So spells that let units shoot their ranged weapons won't be magically as they shoot in the shooting phase as well.

There really isn't a clear cut case here.

That's actually probably the best way to put it I've heard, and I'm going to start quoting you on that :D

GodlessM
07-02-2009, 00:40
I forget where I've read this but..

'Anything that happens in the magical phase is magic'

So anything that takes effect in the Magic Phase, will result in magical damage.

In that case so when a Liche Priest uses the Incantation of Righteous Smiting the resultant attack or shooting is magical attacks. For this reason alone I would say the above quote is untrue.