PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Point High Elf Army (New to Fantasy)

Raifin
06-02-2009, 10:21
Having not played Fantasy since around the time when Dragon Princes were new models, I've gathered hordes and hordes of High Elves... Transitioning over from Fantasy to 40k to Necromunda to Mordheim to 40k I decided to finally get back into Fantasy. Would love some critiques or thoughts on this, my first new list since around 1994. Anything I should delete or add, anything that doesn't make much sense at all, any help would be appreciated. Soon as this is sorted out, maybe I'll start up a PLOG to get myself off my **** and painting.

Honestly, having missed about four editions of Warhammer Fantasy I'd say I'm a little rusty on a lot of the general rules too, so..
Is my Dragon Prince unit with BSB and Prince too costly? Is 7 a weird number for Swordmasters? (For some reason I seem to remember reading that 7 is a common number for them). The only things I'm really wanting to make sure I have simply because I love them so much is Swordmasters, Dragon Princes, Shadow Warriors and/or Ellyrian Reavers. And most importantly is any of the list too cheesy or is the composition okay? (I understand why people like cheesy armies, I just don't like to do it.)

Prince, General
Elven Steed, Lance, Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Gem of Courage @ 264 Pts
Attached to Dragon Princes

Mage, Level 1
2X Dispel Scroll @ 140 Pts
Attached to Lothern Sea Guard unit 1

Noble, BSB
Elven Steed, Barding, Lance, Shield, Dragon Armour, Banner of the World Dragon @ 198 Pts

Lothern Sea Guard X 10
Standard, War Banner, Shields @ 160 Pts

Lothern Sea Guard X 10
Shields @130

Shadow Warriors X 10
Champion @ 172 Pts

Sword Masters X 7
Champion, Musician @ 123 Pts

Sword Masters X 7
Champion, Musician @ 123 Pts

Dragon Princes X 8
Champion, Standard, Lion Standard @ 305 Pts

Ellyrian Reavers X 6
Champion, Bows @ 140 Pts

Lion Chariot @ 140 Pts

3 X RBT @ 300 Pts

Great eagle @ 50 Pts

Total Cost = 2245 Pts

garythewargamer
06-02-2009, 13:20
welcome back to fantasy. First you must get a new army book of course because we all know some people have selected memory. I like seven swordmaster as any wider they are impossible to wheel. Another reason is that is all my army can support, you will see later. Your Dragon Prince unit is too heavy with characters, it would have a big target on it. LSG as a core unit is not a bad choice as they also have bows. But they are like an endro motorcycle, it can operate on the road or on the dirt. Endro are not the best in any area. I like the spearman as I think they are the best in the game. 2 ranks on the charge or 3 ranks with always first attack on the defense. Now there are magical armies of other armies which can negate this but every rule has an exception. Another thing about you core units no full command. I have seen too many combat res. decided by who has the musician. He is worth the points it would cost. Instead of the war banner have you thought about the banner of arcane protection especially the one with the mage in it. I strongly agree with the lion chariot, 3 RBTs and war eagle as you will see. Now to the magic phase.

Your list is under powered with magic. Where I play it would be an uphill road all the way. If you notice even on this site Daemons, Vampires and Warriors of Chaos make up about 70 percent or more. It requires magic to deal with those armies. I have seen the new lizardman army book and they can also heavy in magic. Now the good thing is that you still have a hero slot available but you would have to drop some to cover the points. Of course this is just my opinion and what is the most important is can you have fun with your list.

Now to be fair I must share my high elf list with you. Actually it is my daughters list. She is spoiled and I am to blame for it. She wanted Teclis, a dragon, lots of magic and a lion chariot.

10 archers with leather
18 spearman full command
18 spearman full command banner of lion courage
7 swordmaster full command banner of sorcery
war eagle
3 RBTs
lion chariot
Teclic
2nd lvl dragon mage with seerstaff of saphery chooses spells
sun dragon to fly around with a shoot at me on it
2nd lvl mage with a wand allow him an additional spell for ten points it gives you more of a shoot to get a useful spell.

Now some people might call this a cheesy list but as she is only eight it would be hard to pull that one off. The games she has played I know they went easy on her but here is her record.
w3/d2/l4

I would love to get your comments on this list.
gary257games@yahoo.com

Raifin
06-02-2009, 13:35
I do have my hands on a new copy of the rulebook and army book. Just a matter of placing what rule is where etc. Amazing that you have an eight year old daughter that plays! Inspires me to get my 9 year old on it. I think I was 11 when I started. Thankyou for the advice. I think I will drop the amount of characters in the dragon prince unit. I'll toy around with it some more.

Guess I can get started painting on the RBT's, Eagles, Chariot, and some sword masters. Still not too sure about having too many mages (Though I have no doubt that list you posted is powerful.. just not a big fan of robe wearing characters in any game!), and I have a personal quirk where I don't like to use named characters.. dunno why.

And I guess I got some shooting covered by Shadow warriors and Ellryian Reavers.. and bolt throwers. Maybe some spearmen would be good? Any others thoughts?

WhiteKnight
06-02-2009, 14:35
For the reavers, most of us run them dirt cheap so we can focus more on the guys who will destroy units. Reavers are good because they are fast and can annoy the heck out of your opponent, but at the same time, they could be cheaper points wise. Or at least a core choice because we high elves players used to love all cavalry armies back last edition.

The best magic defense for the coast of only 2 not upgrade lv 2's is drain magic. Just have 2 lv 2's casting drain magic and then fit them out with jewel of the dusk, power stones, or a scroll or two just in case.

Glad to here a gamer to come back to fantasy and play High Elves. And don't be afraid to make a good comeback against a player that calls High Elves pansies, ladies, or anything to make them seem weak. I just usually say, "Well if they're so lady like, how come my dragon princes just owned your black guard?"

Raifin
06-02-2009, 15:18
Took your very sound suggestions and toyed around a little bit. Going with two level 2 mages for some magical protection and switched out that banner in the Princes for a banner of arcane protection. Lowered the reavers to be more of a low points cost harasser unit, and put two semi chunky blocks of spearmen full command. Any more suggestions... and also, where would you put the mages?

Prince, General
Elven Steed, Lance, Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Gem of Courage @ 264 Pts

Mage, Level 2
1X Dispel Scroll @ 155 Pts

Mage, Level 2
1X Dispel Scroll, Jewel of the Dusk @ 170 Pts

Spearmen X 18
Full Command, Lion Standard @ 212 Pts

Spearmen X 18
Full Comand @ 187 Pts

Shadow Warriors X 8 @ 128 Pts

Sword Masters X 7
Musician @ 111 Pts

Sword Masters X 7
Musician @ 111 Pts

Dragon Princes X 9
Standard, Banner of Arcane Protection @ 315 Pts

Ellyrian Reavers X 5
Bows @ 105 Pts

Lion Chariot @ 140 Pts

3 X RBT @ 300 Pts

Great eagle @ 50 Pts

Total Cost = 2248 Pts

Marwynn
06-02-2009, 15:49
The second list's units are better but you need to do something about the mages. First off though, Shadow Warriors @ 8 are too large. Consider 5-6 of them.

Also, use the Standard of Balance on the DPs. You can fear heavy magic if you like but if your DPs, with your Prince in it, refuses to charge a Fear/Terror causer or runs away because of it (or loses combat to an outnumbering Fear-causer) they'll just break and run off.

Spend 10 points for a Musician for the DPs.

Also, the Mages need some work. Common L2 configurations:

1) Seerstaff and Dispel Scroll/Power Stone
2) Silver Wand and Ring of Fury or two Dispel Scrolls
3) Dispel Scroll and Jewel of the Dusk (best used as the only character in 1k-ish battles)

Consider the first two to overwhelm your opponent's magic defense, though tougher to do at 2250. This also requires the use of the Banner of Sorcery, though you don't have a spare unit to carry it.

Raifin
06-02-2009, 16:07
Also sound suggestions! Man, really tough trimming here and adding there. Reminds me of my eldar not wanting to give up here cause I want there! So many cool special units in High Elves. So, with suggestions, sounds like I've got some shooty goodness with RBT.. and two units of nice harassers, some nice heavy hitters in the DPs, SMs, Chariot, and some Magical Defense in the mages. What's the best use for the eagle in HE armies? I just hear they're used a lot.

Prince, General

Mage, Level 2
1X Dispel Scroll, Silver Wand @ 165 Pts

Mage, Level 2
Dispell Scroll X 2 @ 175 Pts

Spearmen X 18
Full Command, Lion Standard @ 212 Pts

Spearmen X 18
Full Comand @ 187 Pts

Shadow Warriors X 5 @ 80 Pts

Sword Masters X 7
Musician @ 111 Pts

Sword Masters X 7
Musician @ 111 Pts

Dragon Princes X 9
Standard, Musician, Standard of Balance @ 345 Pts

Ellyrian Reavers X 5
Bows @ 105 Pts

Lion Chariot @ 140 Pts

3 X RBT @ 300 Pts

Great eagle @ 50 Pts

Total Cost = 2245 Pts

Angelust
06-02-2009, 20:04
I would actually suggest a banner of Elyrion on your Dragon Princes, as your prince is giving LD10 on fear/terror checks. If you're outnumbered by a fear/terror causer and you lose, you've probably already made a big mistake! :-)

A standard dragon prince configuration these days that works extremely well is a noble with battle banner, and dragon princes with standard and warbanner (or banner of Elyrian). With Standard, Warbanner, BSB, and Battle Banner, you're getting and extra 4-9 combat res without even attacking. It'll be a 500-600 point unit, but with an 18 inch charge range, you're almost guaranteed to punch a whole in the line unless he has massive anti-heavy-cav shooting (but you're still immune to fire, which means lore of metal won't get you.)

isidril93
06-02-2009, 20:11
dont bother with armour of caledor...you already have a 2+ as with dragon armour and shield.
what about combing the swordmasters? a aunit of 14?