PDA

View Full Version : Spells versus Spites

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 16:47
Quick couple of questions. I ran into the 'Annoyance of Nettlings' (the most aptly named thing in Warhammer :) ) and am looking for ways around it.

Would the Flaming Sword of Rhuin hit on a 2+ or a 6+ against the Nettlings? I don't really have an opinion either way, but I would like for the 2+ to work!

The Sword of Striking should hit on a 5 I think as it adds +1 to the attack roll, making a 5 into a 6, so I think that one's pretty straight forward.

Anything else out there to help against the Ancient Tree man who cannot be hit?

theunwantedbeing
06-02-2009, 16:58
You roll off to see which applies, as per the WE FAQ on the GW site.

If you want to avoid the annoyance of netlings dont put yourself in a position to be challenged by it.

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 17:02
If you want to avoid the annoyance of netlings dont put yourself in a position to be challenged by it.As helpful as that is, it's not always optional. Ignoring the 400 point monster sounds like a good plan, until it falls apart because you're not playing a gunline.

Thanks for pointing out the FAQ though, I should have checked that first.

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 17:05
My current plan is level4 with fire and cook the thing down.

Nerhesi
06-02-2009, 17:09
My current plan is level4 with fire and cook the thing down.

Needing 6s to wound .. of course...

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 17:16
Needing 6s to wound .. of course...That is a tough one, but he takes 2 wounds for every one that gets through. It won't get done in a single round but it can get done.

I'll probably have a level 2 on hand as well to double up on the number of fireballs he's taking/wasting dispel dice on.

A good Conflaguration could see him seriously hurt. Then I just need to charge him with a unit of Cold One Knights or Chariot with no characters in the unit. Or even a Hydra, no challenge there, lots of attacks and 'only' needing 5's to wound.

It's an idea anyway.

Asmodiseus
06-02-2009, 18:12
This was posted over at Druchii.net and it is useful for determining situations like this.

Attacker Ability______Defender Ability_______Result
Auto Hits___________Only on 6(or 5 etc) ____AutoHit
Auto Hits___________1st hit discounted_____Both apply
Auto Hit____________-1 modifier___________Auto hit
+1 to Hit____________Only on 6(etc)_______Hit on 5+
+1 to Hit____________-1 modifier__________both apply
Hit on 3+ (or 2+ etc)__Only on 6(etc)_______Dice Roll
Hit on 3+ (or 2+ etc)__-1 modifier__________Dice Roll
Hit on 6_____________-1 modifier__________Dice Roll
Autowound__________1st wound discounted_Both apply

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 18:52
That is handy, thank you sir.

Anyone want to work out which is harder to kill, a Pendant Lord or the Treeman with the Spites?

Neckutter
06-02-2009, 19:59
that chart is official? that is quite handy. i should probably go to druchii.net since i now play the DE. :(

@ Dooks pendant lord is harder. :)
so far my druchii lord has killed a chaos lord, a HE lord on dragon, a nurgle herald BSB, bertonnian paladin x3, and a vamp lord(non fighty) in HtH. all of which he suffered one or less wounds in the fights he was in. against the dragon he suffered no wounds.

Kalandros
06-02-2009, 20:03
Pendant Lord.
Because the WE is way more overconfident in his Stubborn 9 Treeman than the DE is in his T3 TankLord.

I've broken a Treeman Ancient from combat, its funny.

Necromancy Black
06-02-2009, 21:52
Slann, Lore of Fire, Bane Head. Say goodbye to 4 wounds per flaming magic missile.

And in case someone trys to bring it up: no. There is absolutly nothing in the rules saying you can't double a double.

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 22:02
And in case someone trys to bring it up: no. There is absolutly nothing in the rules saying you can't double a double.
Actually the latest rules would indicate that you most certainly can double a double. If it ever worked out perfectly and Assassin with Dark Venom and Killing Blow can get some ridiculous combat res going :)

I also am pretty sure that the Treeman of Doom was mostly a problem due to faults in my tactics as opposed to him being too powerful.

Oh yeah, and a failed Stupidity check at just the wrong moment :(

Mostly I just need to catch him with my Pendant Lord and a good SCR unit as well as strong flank support to keep the Tree Kin off me.

Best thing about Fantasy is that a strong general can overcome almost anything. I just need to work on the strong general part.

EvC
06-02-2009, 22:11
Lore of Metal is far better against Treemen than the Lore of Fire.

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 22:15
Really? Pardon my ignorance, I looked at metal a bit but didn't think it was the way to go. Since Tree's don't have a lot of armor, I didn't think it that useful.

I like metal in general as a all comers Lore, so this would be great.

Why is Metal better do you think?

havoc626
06-02-2009, 23:49
From memory of the old LM book, if you double a double, it becomes a triple. Like in the example above, each 'wound' would become 3 wounds, not 4.

Treemen have 3+ armour saves, so get hit by S5 attacks from Rule of Burning Iron. Spirit of the Forge does the same, and 2d6 hits. Both are also flaming attacks. Lore of Metal is better against the treemen, but probably not so much against the low armour WE.

Necromancy Black
07-02-2009, 00:15
From memory of the old LM book, if you double a double, it becomes a triple. Like in the example above, each 'wound' would become 3 wounds, not 4.

Trust me, that is not, in any way shape or form, a rule written in either the BRB, the FAQ's, the new Lizardmen book or even the old one that prevents doubling doubled wounds.

Doubled doubles are doubled! :D

And yeah, while Lore of metal is a better treeman killer, it's not very useful for the rest of teh WE army. Lore of Fire is however pretty good against just about anything.

havoc626
07-02-2009, 01:25
It might have been an unoffical FAQ, cause it was talking about the Bane Head being combined with Piranah Blade, and it would cause 3 wounds, not 4.

Mind you, I could be getting mixed up wth an entirely different game altogether.

Necromancy Black
07-02-2009, 02:07
I have seen it one some unofficial FAQ's as well, which was why I brought it up. And there are indeed some gaming systems that don't allowed doubles to be doubles and I think this is one of the palces the rule came from.

Fact is, nothing official prevents it from happening :D

havoc626
07-02-2009, 05:02
I found where I pulled that from, D&D.

I hate when they make so similar systems have different rules. :p

Nurgling Chieftain
07-02-2009, 09:16
D&D... Isn't all that similar. :p

Gazak Blacktoof
07-02-2009, 11:33
It comes from applying effects simultaneously to the base value.

If you double A that's the same as A+(A), if you double A twice that's A+(A+A). That's why you end up with 3A instead of 4A.

I'm not sure its part of any of the current FAQs, but like havoc626 I'm sure I've seen it somewhere (perhaps a 6th edition or older FAQ).

Necromancy Black
07-02-2009, 12:10
I'll stick with a multiple system that seems to be the case ( 1(*2)(*2)) ). Either way fits into the logic of the game but there hasn't been a clear answer for it. When the FAQ comes out for Lizardmen I hope they address this.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
08-02-2009, 06:34
that chart is official? that is quite handy. i should probably go to druchii.net since i now play the DE. :(

@ Dooks pendant lord is harder. :)
so far my druchii lord has killed a chaos lord, a HE lord on dragon, a nurgle herald BSB, bertonnian paladin x3, and a vamp lord(non fighty) in HtH. all of which he suffered one or less wounds in the fights he was in. against the dragon he suffered no wounds.

Ah, but true joy is seeing a pendant lord with his 1+ armour save fighting endlessly with a Goblin big boss and his amulet of protectyness [whoc costs maybe 1/3 as much].