PDA

View Full Version : The best thing about the Shining Spears

Slappy
03-12-2005, 23:58
Is the price. 45 USD.

Best bang for your buck.

Penitent
04-12-2005, 00:36
By that, I assume you mean that Shining Spears are the same cost as three standard Eldar jetbikes, with extra bits on top?

Gupp
04-12-2005, 00:39
Trolling trolling trolling....:rolleyes:

move along

boogle
04-12-2005, 01:05
don;t see how it's trolling, as it's good value for money (as far as GW goes)

Slappy
04-12-2005, 01:11
I know seriously.

Orbital
04-12-2005, 02:27
Isn't that just shy of a dollar per point?

Slappy
04-12-2005, 03:32
Nah you get THREE of 'em for 45 bucks.

Orbital
04-12-2005, 03:33
Oh, right. My bad.

Karhedron
04-12-2005, 09:39
Financially they are reasonably priced. Sadly, 50 points for a flying shuriken catapult is not appealing to most players. For the same points you can get a Vyper which can get various heavy weapon upgrades.

Personally I am hoping that Shining Spears get buffed up a bit in the new Codex. Mind you, the price will probably go up as a result. :rolleyes: Buy them now and wait for them to get better. ;)

Kaoslord
04-12-2005, 10:29
Nah, I'd rather spend my money and points on a 10 man squad of Slicing Orbs of Xandros. :D

Now they're bang fopr the buck. Slicetastic!

boogle
04-12-2005, 11:14
don't forget though that they can have that invulnerable save

CELS
04-12-2005, 11:24
Considering that almost no one seems to use them, I reckon it's fairly likely they'll get some new rules. I agree with Karhedron that it's probably best to buy them now though. GW definitely has a way of pricing their models after their worth in points.

Scythe
04-12-2005, 18:33
They might receive new models (and, judging from the age of Eldar jetbikes in general, this is quite likely I think). Be honest, the current ones don't look too great either...

Mars
04-12-2005, 19:41
Concidering that Eldar jetbikes are in general overpriced, I do assume they'll get new rules. Either that or seriously drop the point cost (as they did for the Space Marines Terminators/Assault Marines/Bikers and will do for the Tau Crisis Suits).

Brother Edwin
04-12-2005, 20:27
I woud love to face someone who uses shining spears almost as much as I would love to face someone who uses grey knights.

boogle
04-12-2005, 20:29
are you being sarcastic?

NakedFisherman
04-12-2005, 23:29
I don't see how they're a better value than any other boxed set.

Orbital
04-12-2005, 23:33
Would the fact that there is more metal in the Shining Spears box than there is in the Jetbike boxes make it seem like a better value? Maybe that's what the poster was referring to.

Dvalin
05-12-2005, 00:24
That or Slappy's being sarcastic, in an effort to confuse and enflame the community. Considering all, I think that's the most likely path here.

Slappy
05-12-2005, 02:18
By not using them?

Icarus
05-12-2005, 03:04
The only vaguely decent use of Shining Spears I have seen is taking 2+Exarch and giving the Exarch a brightlance, effectively giving the guy a BS5 lance that could duck behind cover. Still, it was quite expensive even for this little trick, and we all caught onto it pretty quick.

Orcdom
05-12-2005, 08:00
i know a guy that uses them with good luck in a saim hainn army. and he uses his in an assault role, vypers are too cheap to not use as your fire support, esp in a SH army.

where the SS work well in a SH army is due to the fact you have a power weapon as fast as everything else, combine that squad with a chief and a farseer, you have some assault power to wipe out those isolated assaults. because isolation in the assault phase is the only way SH have a chance of winning.

Steve

gitburna
06-12-2005, 00:15
when it comes to shining spears, ive found that if the squad is to be used as it ought..In the fast assault role which Nurglitch talks about, that the powerweapon in particular isnt worth taking. The use of the brightlance in the role as explained by N is one i'd never really given any thought to, mainly because you have to shoot at what you want to assaut.

For me, the best way of using the spears is to give the exarch his basic lance and a warrior power:- for +5 points, the loss of an attack and two points of strength doesnt really balance the ability to deny armour saves, especially since [in my mind] the best targets for them would be 5 man marines squads or at a pinch,up to 12ish man medium/light infantry squads. In all circumstances, the spears would be there to give the transported models time to dismount their vehicles and shield them from some fire due to the close combat. This is really the sort of attack which would require a good deal of prior planning and some spot on tactics+timing though, clearly units with a low number of attacks,and no power-weapon/powerfist/choppa are going to be the targets of choice.

I have a friend who is currently using warpspiders in the same role, in his mind the disengage ability of the warp spiders makes up for thir poorer showing in the initial assault.