PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new Imperial Guard Army

tacoo
06-02-2009, 18:56
Im want to play imperial guard but im not exactly sure what to buy. i have 300 dollars to sink in but i dont know what i should get, can some1 give me some advice?

this is the current army iv seen on ebay i might try to get

Cadian Command HQ (includes Offcer/Medic/Master vox/Standard Bearer)
Commisar Yarrick (Special Character)
2x Commisars
3x Psykers
4x Cadian Officers from Blisters
5x Cadian Officers from guardsman sprues
7x Cadian Guardsman w/ vox-caster
3x Cadian Guardsman w/ Flamer
2x Cadian Guardsman w/ Grenade launcher
2x Cadian Guardsman w/ Plasma gun
3x Cadian Guardsman w/ Melta gun
40x Cadian Guardsman ( 7x guardsman need finished they have no arms)
20x Catachan Guardsman (was going to use as Hardened Veterans)
12x Cadian Stormtroopers (1x Sergeant/1x Flamer/1x Melta/1x Plasma/1x Grenade)
4x Autocannon Heavy Weapon Team
3x Lascannon Heavy Weapon Team
1x Missle Launcher Heavy Weapon Team
2x Heavy Bolter Heavy Weapon Team
3x Cadian Sentinels w/ Autocannons (One of those i customized standing on a wrecked Ork Killa Kan)
1x Demolisher Tank
2x Leman Russ Battle Tanks
1x Basilisk
The Imperial Guard Codex

starlight
06-02-2009, 19:00
Check out The Dude's rumour summary: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179387 , or wait until the new Codex and stuff in three months. :)

Generally speaking, everything you have there will be good under the new rules, so if you see value in it, go for it. :)

Count de Monet
06-02-2009, 19:03
Well the new book isn't too far out (May), so it would probably be advisable to wait, get the new book and see what you like before spending the # now on things you might not use.

But if you want a fairly standard IG army, that list is a pretty good start. Getting a bunch of basic infantry and some tanks provides a pretty good core for an army that will almost certainly still be viable with the new book.

tacoo
06-02-2009, 19:27
I know it isint too far out, thats one of the reasons im thinking about guard. Another is anytime I hear about them, I hear about thousands of guardsmen walking forward with hundreds of tanks hammering the enemy from behind. also I love the fact how they dont care about friendly fire if a horde of there own die from a basilisk missing and taken out some. ant then theres the fact they know when 1 or 2 hundred need to be scraficed just to stop one thing from happing.

ceaser543
06-02-2009, 21:46
Well if you want to make a start you could buy a box of cadians and a leman russ and a chimera test about with the paint schemes a bit and see if the models and paint scheme works for you so when the new codex comes out you wouldnt have made a mistake buying them.

Loopstah
06-02-2009, 21:51
I'm in a similar position, I've recently bought a bunch of guard mini's but with a new codex on the horizon I don't want to do anything with them until I find out more about how the new guard will work.

I've stocked up on Cadian boxes though as I hear they are dropping down to 10 men instead of 20, so if you want lots of foot troops it might be a good idea to buy them now, as I want a lot of men in my army.

laudarkul
06-02-2009, 21:55
Yap...I will also buy another 20 IG Cadians box just in case;)...Regarding that list on e-bay you shoul check how much are those pieces/models selled by GW current/standards prices(Battleforce 50 pounds/LRBT 20 pound so on). If you get them a lot cheeper and still want to start IG you should buy them and start test some army lists so when the new codex to know what you need it.

tacoo
06-02-2009, 22:31
ok so i should just buy a box of cadians, lemon russ, and chimera then?

starlight
06-02-2009, 22:34
If you're going to spend that much, consider a Battleforce and save yourself some coin...:)

tacoo
06-02-2009, 22:50
how much is the prie going to drop on the cadian set when it goes from 20 to 10

Earthbeard
06-02-2009, 22:51
it's likely to change to either 12 or 15 I'd imagine. Hopefully 12.

tacoo
06-02-2009, 23:05
does any know what that is in american currency?

starlight
06-02-2009, 23:08
http://www.xe.com/

tacoo
06-02-2009, 23:12
thxe so that comes out to a little under 20 dollars of it goes for 15 euros there

starlight
06-02-2009, 23:15
Sounds about right. Depending on where you are, supposedly IG retail for about $1.75 each (over a box of 20), and they will be about $2.20 (over a box of ten), but you'll get more gubbins and stuff in the new box...

Battleforces drop the price even more, especially if you can get them discounted at places like The Warstore :)

tacoo
06-02-2009, 23:22
ok i just looked up the war store and what the guy up there said i should get is $108 before shipping

tacoo
07-02-2009, 05:31
ok what i was hoping to get was 2 cadian battle forces, the basilisk set that comes with 3 basilisks and easther a box of cadians or try and win an auction here that comes with 59 cadians. if i got all od that i would have 3 basilisks, 99 guardsmen, 6 heavy wep teams, and 2 lemon russes. i would probably just procy the command squads since there might be a change in hq in new codex, but hopefull every thing else still is useful.

starlight
07-02-2009, 05:35
According to what's been trickling down the rumour pipe, that would be a pretty good army to start with. :)

tacoo
07-02-2009, 05:46
ya, me and my friends have no problem proxying troops. we just cant proxy vechicles unless you have a tank thats very similar like using a wave surpent to repesent a fire prisim or a chimera to repesent a hell hound is ok

laudarkul
07-02-2009, 07:18
Remember that IG tanks will came with a lot a turret variants included in the box. So you can buy after a LRBT tamk box and you can change the turrets of the other 2 (or buy some FW stuff).

ard boy stu
07-02-2009, 08:57
I sugest geting the battle force. Hve a game and see what else you want from there

tacoo
07-02-2009, 15:07
if i did get Guard i was thinking about picking up an inquisitor and and a vindicare and eventually a squad of GK's or maby instid of the vindicare get a terminator squad, but i thought the vindicare would be nice since you can choose what model to wound. if i go imperial guard, should i get some allied DH or stay pure guard?