PDA

View Full Version : Helm of commandment versus WS reduction spells

Sifal
06-02-2009, 19:37
Last night during a game my Cairn wraiths were reduced to WS1 by pesky Dark Elf magic. in the following close combat phase I opted to use helm of commandment from my lord to make them WS7. so my question is, in this situation does a unit stay WS1 (or whatver WS they become from other similar spells) or become WS7.

argument 1 - the unit has its WS reduced first in the magic phase and then the helm overwrites this as it is used afterwards in the sequence and thus the unit gets WS7

OR

argument 2 - they are magically restricted to WS 1 that canno be modified until the spell wears off.

Fluff wise it can be justified either way and seeing as my opponent and I couldn't decide either way, we were both perplexed, we rolled a D6 to determine for that game and now i'm seeking long term answers.....

Malorian
06-02-2009, 19:39
This is covered in the FAQ. The ruling is that they use the WS of the vampire, and even suggest that the opponent should cast that spell on the vampire's unit instead.

Neckutter
06-02-2009, 20:41
they use the vampire's WS per the item. the wraiths' WS is still ws1, but they "USE" the vampire's.

Sifal
06-02-2009, 21:04
that makes sense, thanks for clearing it up.

Bodysnatcher
06-02-2009, 21:52
What's the general opinion about the No. 1 Nurgle Daemon spell in these sorts of situations?

Loopstah
06-02-2009, 21:55
What's the general opinion about the No. 1 Nurgle Daemon spell in these sorts of situations?

I would say the same thing occurs, the models in btb with the daemon use the vampires WS. Their own WS might be 1 but they aren't using their own.

Malorian
06-02-2009, 21:56
Given the faq ruling I can't see it working any other way. They use the vampires WS, so unless the vampire with the helm is efected by that skill (in which case he's in combat and can't use it anyway) then the helm overrides it.