PDA

View Full Version : Help with daemons

Evening Star
06-02-2009, 19:40
Hi!
I am new with fantasy battle and with daemons so please help me. I need to know some unit sizes before I will order movement trays from GF9. I'd like to ask how to play daemon units? How many models in unit, how deep and how wide?
I would like to know recommended sizes for especially horrors, plaguebearers, bloodletters and daemonettes. I would also be pleased if someone would help me with other choices too. What to play at hero and what to play as lord and how to equip them? Which rare choices are good and which suck? Which is the best choice for special slots?
We are having tournaments here where I live so I would like to make pretty good list to match with others.
Thanks for everyone in advance!

Bodysnatcher
06-02-2009, 20:41
Are you planning on using a greater daemon?
Do you want to go mono or multi god?
What do you want your army to be good at?

Evening Star
07-02-2009, 05:36
I am going to play either Thirster or LoC but don't know which yet.
I am going to make multigod army because I think its better and funnier.
I don't really know where I want my army to be good at. I have been thinking of horrors and bloodletters as core units, flamers/crushers and maybe some fiends as rare, flesh hounds as special and maybe greater daemon as lord and couple tzeentch/khorne heralds. How does that look like?
How should horrors be played? How many in block and how wide ranks?

MURPH
07-02-2009, 06:13
The choice of your lord will really reflect what you need in terms of core.

If you want the thirster then I suggest the horror blocks, 2 20 man units with a herald of tzeentch in each.

Run them 5x4, they are not a combat unit but can be a great anvil. To fill out your core run a min size unit of letters with no command for flanking/diversion. Normally I would suggest a min unit of horrors but this will not make you any friends.

A khorne herald on Juggernaut with a battle standard(banner of unholy victory will give you a unit that no one wants to mess with. Couple of units of hounds and a unit of flamers and you should be set, if you want something harder to use instead of hounds use seekers, not as direct but incredibly useful. and instead of flamers perhaps fiends. I suggest these changes so that your opponents dont whine.

Cheers,

MURPH

Bodysnatcher
07-02-2009, 07:59
If you go for the large block horror units, make sure the heralds have master of sorcery - casting unseen lurker on a 'thirster is highly amusing (just remember his MR though).

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 10:10
MR which you dont have to roll :P

Awilla the Hun
07-02-2009, 10:15
Get units in multiples of 6 for Slaneesh, 7 for Nurgle, 8 for Khorne, 9 for Tzeentch. These are their sacred numbers. I don't know if it does anything else, but it's in character...

Evening Star
07-02-2009, 12:31
Thanks for help! What kind of army would you suggest if I would run LoC instead of thirster?

PARTYCHICORITA
07-02-2009, 13:02
LoC is more versatile since he can cast and fight, i would go for him.

For core best unit sizes are:
10 for horrors
10 for deamonesttes
11-16 for plague bearers always with a level1 on palanquin
0 for bloodletters, people will tell you they don't but they do suck.

For speacials and rares minimun size units usually work best except with flamers, they work wonders in medium size units of 5-7 models.

sroblin
07-02-2009, 17:39
For core best unit sizes are:
10 for horrors
10 for deamonesttes
11-16 for plague bearers always with a level1 on palanquin
0 for bloodletters, people will tell you they don't but they do suck.

I don't know if I agree with 10 for horrors and daemonettes. The daemonettes might want to field at least 12 so they can have a wider front rank to get in more attacks (they're not great, but you gotta work with what you have), and I'd be tempted to reinforce the horrors just a bit to 12 or more so the could take more casualties without losing the casting dice and so forth.

As for the bloodletters, they definitely aren't a great unit but I can't see how they're much worse than daemonettes. With the herald they can be decently killy, and they are at least M5. I would field them in 12-14 (you want to have a wide front rank for maximum attacks.)

Horrors are useful and effective on their own, but if you are serious about making any of the other units particularly effective they need to be joined by a herald (a hero choice) to get the most out of them. Plaguebearers go from being so-and-so to unkillable, the other units become ok instead of not-very-good. The heralds themselves also tend to be quite deadly.

As for the other aspects of the list, it is widely agreed that Fleshounds and Flamers are exceptionally good units. Fiends of Slaanesh, Mounted Daemonettes, Blood Crushers, Furies are all pretty good too, though not on the same level. Beasts of Nurgle, nurglings, and possibly Screamers are considered to be of somewhat dubious effectiveness.

Warboss Antoni
08-02-2009, 03:34
Do you want to smash your opponet's face with a warhammer? or just a regular hammer?

If your going all out, max out on a certain aspect, or min max.

Bodysnatcher
09-02-2009, 06:43
Horrors also allow you to play the evil trick of having high level wizards in low point games. I've not played with my list arranged in such a way yet, but I've seen a kid in 1500 points take enough horrors in one unit to make them level 4, supported by small units of 'Nettes to make up the points.