PDA

View Full Version : Which lore is best against each army?

Angelust
06-02-2009, 19:55
Hi all. I'm trying to get a handle on my High Elves, and I've yet to learn the finer points of choosing magic lores once I see the opponent across from me. The minute or two before deployment allows me to tailor what lore I'll use before deployment, but I still find myself defaulting to High Magic or fire when I can't think of anything better.

I'm going to try out Teclis, or at least the Seer STaff that lets you pick spells.

My question is: What lores should be chosen when a particular army gets plopped down across from you?

i.e. Your opponent has a Bretonnian heavy cav list, so you choose Lore of Metal. You see a 40-man deathstar unit with some crazy banner, so you choose high magic going for Vaul's unmaking and pheonix flames, etc.

Any help would be appreciated, as I tend to play against a variety of army types with various levels of infantry/magic/mobility, etc.

Sifal
06-02-2009, 20:14
take light against daemons... beasts against stuff with lots of monsters...

Bodysnatcher
06-02-2009, 20:38
Beware when taking light against Daemons. Banner of Sundering buurrrrns.

Angelust
06-02-2009, 20:50
Beware when taking light against Daemons. Banner of Sundering buurrrrns.

What does that do?

Bodysnatcher
06-02-2009, 20:57
The chance of light miscasting is increased. Plus you pick any one lore and give it a -ve casting modifier.

Lugburz
06-02-2009, 21:43
Lore of Fire can be nice against Daemons if you're afraid of Plaguebearers and Great Unclean One. And against Daemons, don't pick a single lore, If you choose several, only one of them will be affected by banner of sundering.

Bodysnatcher
06-02-2009, 21:55
Lore of Fire - Decent but not a game winner against pretty much everyone. Very nasty against armies relying on regen (Nurgle) or light armoured frenzied infantry (Wall of fire does horrible things to witches and savage orcs).
Lore of Metal - Against armies that take a lot of war machines, a lot of armour or go for a few very expensive magic items. I love to use it to tease out ring of Hotek.
Lore of Shadow - Can be a gamewinner. Nasty as hell against terror susceptible armies. It's main benefit is the extra movement.
Lore of Death - My lore of choice against Lizardmen. Doom and Darkness really helps break them. And if there's no better choice I use it on daemons. Steal soul is great for getting rid of pesky khornate heralds.
Lore of Beasts - It's ok, not often used, but can really screw mounted CW and Brets over.
Lore of heavens - Dwarf killer, especially when they hide at the back. Can also be evil against dense infantry armies.
Lore of life - The ultimate annoyance lore, but it's not spectacular against anyone IMO.
Lore of Light - First choice against undead. Also very useful against ogres.

Dooks Dizzo
06-02-2009, 22:03
Lore of Beasts is super great a lot of the time, but not everyone can take it.

Cry of the Wind
06-02-2009, 22:04
It depends a little on what is in your own army too. I use beasts more often now with my lizards as I run a Scar-Vet in my Temple Guard block. Bears Anger and he's a monster plus there are still a few other good spells there if you need to cause or stop a cav charge.

There is the obvious use metal if enemy has good saves like Bretts, Dwarfs and a few army builds (normally cav heavy). Fire and Death work well for me against Elves of all kinds with the multiple D6 Str4 missiles.

The more I think about it the more I realize that since the Slan have changed rules and I am no longer allowed to pick spells from mixed lores, I have been using most of them. Life saved me in a game against a Dwarf gunline the other week and as you can tell from above Beasts is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Death won me a game againts Beast of Chaos and I could forsee the lore of Shaow giving me a win against certain Deamon builds (read evil plague bearer list).

You say you fight a lot of different armies, well so do I and as per above I pick different lores based on the enemy army comp and what I need to fill any gaps in my army or complement it. Sorry to be so generic in my answer but that is what happens when GW does alright and gives a set of balanced magic lores. There is something useful in each of them.

Lugburz
06-02-2009, 22:07
Sorry. Doublepost

W0lf
06-02-2009, 22:56
these threads pop up alot.

Im going to be diffrent and say it depends on your army and the opponents.

some quick notes;

1. Unseen lurker + PoS. If you have a nice use for POS then use it. Dragon princes + Unseen = first turn charge. Plus movement spells WIN games.

2. Lore of fire is direct damage by unlikly game winning. Best use of it is to remove support elements; that bolt throwers should be targeting.

3. Lore of metal should always be used vs warriors of chaos with 2+ units of knights.

4. Lore of light isnt that great vs daemons, the effects are over-exagerated; if they have sundering its infact terrible.

GodlessM
06-02-2009, 23:49
Interesting post.

Might I add that if you are playing a Level 4 or a caster with all spells, Lore of Shadow is great against Dwarfs, Orcs and Goblins, and Lizardmen. Pit of Shades will kill things fast.

Lugburz
06-02-2009, 23:53
I love using lore of beast with Lizardmen slann with all spells. I played against Dark Elf, and the combination beeing able to screw his cold ones, hydra og dark riders, while helping my own staggys or Cold One riders was great. Feast as crow is ok against poorly armored elves, and hunters spear got it's uses too. Not to talk about bears anger, and the chance of rallying those baiting skinks ;p

havoc626
06-02-2009, 23:56
Lore of Heavens can be devastating against Skaven, but only really if you get the Comet. Lore of Death is also good if you get Doom and darkness or if you have a more combaty wizard and you get Drain life. The other spells are great against them too, such as the fear causing one.. Any AOE spells are deadly against Skaven, but I find the best spell to have against Skaven is Plague, from their own lore. Only other skaven and WoC can use it though.

Angelust
07-02-2009, 00:44
I've never tried the comet before, it always looked too unpredictable. Drop it in front of a horde army, and either delay their advance or hope for a big splash?

Bodysnatcher
07-02-2009, 08:01
Comet basically relies on your opponents fear of it.

havoc626
07-02-2009, 08:35
Yeah, more or less. It really either causes for the enemy to use dice to get rid of it or it lands and does good damage to his army. Or the enemy might move all his units away from it, and then just lose a heap of tact advantage.

Angelust
07-02-2009, 15:51
Maybe a lvl 2 mage, the staff that lets you choose spells, and a power stone could let him get it off at least the first round...?