PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen army book typos

trolloc
06-02-2009, 21:38
I was reading through the new army book, and I noticed a rather significant amount of mistakes and typos throughout. Most were simple, such as forgetting a 'g' in engage, and saying a war lasted a millenium when the previous sentence said that the same war lasted only a century, but there were some bigger ones, such as 'see page xx for more information'. Has anyone noticed similar mistakes?

Devil Tree
06-02-2009, 21:59
Yah, it's not uncommon for Army Books/Codexes to be riddled with mistakes and spelling errors. Apparently GW never heard of proof reading.

Mouldsta
06-02-2009, 22:02
The description for a slaan has him as a "slaan magwe priest"

Gabacho Mk.II
06-02-2009, 22:19
Yah, it's not uncommon for Army Books/Codexes to be riddled with mistakes and spelling errors. Apparently GW never heard of proof reading.

Yup, that is what happens when you rush an armybook through the playtesting process and dont provide a proofreader. [or, maybe the rules/fluff were changed so many times that all of the errors were not caught by the time it went to printing?]

"Right. We finished the Lizardmen book, all sorts of goodies in the army for the WFB followers to swallow... let's move on and work on the Skaven book..."

Godfiend
06-02-2009, 22:27
Actually, the rulebooks are writting by testing the "1 million monkeys on a typewriter" idea, and are similarly playtested and edited. I'm amazed they're as good as they are, considering the source!

Wait... that actually sounds like an improvement...

Cry of the Wind
06-02-2009, 22:47
When I see whining and complaining about this kind of thing in an army book, it makes me mad. Power creep, points/stats/powers drops/increases what have you are for the most part things that can be debated both ways and while we may have a feel for something being over powered or not, it is not 100% solid in stone that x will always be better or that y should never ever be used.

Typos on the other hand are something that is a clear cut, black and white, good/bad issue. Typos not there, good job you've earned your pay check. Typos in and you look unprofessional, and for a company at the scale of GW it is down right embarrassing.

They are not a mom and pop operation while at the same time they are not publishing tens of thousands of words a month. That kind of thing would not be accepted at a high school newspaper and yet the pride and joy of GW publishing will leave a “slaan magwe priest” to be released. Astonishing...

dunagrad
06-02-2009, 23:24
I agree, it is really annoying, especially when they ask you to shell out excessive amounts of dollars to support a hobby that the creators don't seem to care enough about to even avoid the errors. I catch stuff like this in White Dwarf all the time, and well, as a person with an English degree ... it just makes you feel a little bit shorted.

dunagrad
06-02-2009, 23:26
That being said, I do realize that my first sentence is a run-on. :D

theunwantedbeing
07-02-2009, 01:19
GW doesnt proof read and only now you are starting to think this....
Which rock did you just crawl out from under?

1 day of minimum wage spent on 1 person in a room spellchecking the book and looking for silly errors is all it would take to rectify the problem.

Malice&Mizery
07-02-2009, 04:44
Off topic, I know but I found quite a few typos in 'The Vampire Genevieve' novel, it kinda disheartned me. Still a great book though :)

thegreenknight0
07-02-2009, 06:15
I have to say I am disappointed in the new Lizardmen army book in many ways, not just the obvious typos. Any veteran lizardman player will notice many "nerfs" that not only remove some of the lizards teeth (w/ minor point reductions) but also diminish a great deal of flavor from the army. As someone who has played the army since their first book I can appreciate what the new writers have tried to do by returning to some of the original iconic elements such a Kroxigors in units of skinks. However, they have completely trashed some of the best flavor element created by Anthony Reynolds in the last edition such as Slann generations, Saurus spawnings and Chameleon Skinks actually being something different than just skinks w/ higher BS and -1 to hit. Not to mention that for the first time Kroxigors (down to Str4 from Str5) are, stat wise, 3 wound Saurus w/ great weapon and -1 Ldr ,Chariot Killers no more.

In conclussion, it's just a shame.
There was just such great potential to build upon and GW basically scrapped the foundation.

darkace77450
07-02-2009, 10:17
The price of the army books go up. The quality (typos, etc) of the army books go down. Raise your hand if this surprises you in the least.

Nicha11
07-02-2009, 10:21
The price of the army books go up. The quality (typos, etc) of the army books go down. Raise your hand if this surprises you in the least.

"Raises Hand"

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 10:49
"raises hand"

not only does it perplex me, it makes me mad because it seems very unprofessional. its a book that is written in english, which has a set of grammatical rules. after i paid $25 for it, it better damn well have proper spelling and punctuation.

it isnt shakespeare, but it still literature.

Condottiere
07-02-2009, 11:09
I'm shocked, shocked to find that ... is going on in here!

:eek:

Griefbringer
07-02-2009, 15:47
The description for a slaan has him as a "slaan magwe priest"

Pot calling kettle black, I am afraid. :rolleyes:

zak
07-02-2009, 16:04
Yes, it is unprofessional. However, it's hardly a huge thing. I have paid my 15 and even if it does say Slaan Magwe Priest I can still play the game and have all the rules and stats that I need.

Sifal
07-02-2009, 16:26
I find the typos in the black library novels more annoying. And that you can sometimes tell that the endings are rushed to meet a release date. That comes across so obviously sometimes.

dsw1
07-02-2009, 16:28
could not the same be said about the internet? "I pay *** a year to go on here and all I see is typo after typo". Just the same as us (and you may dispute this as much as you want) they are human, and humans do make mistakes, it is not like some of you have never made a spelling mistake before, and the people who pay to come on the internet read it.

As a previous poster stated "Pot => kettle black."

darkace77450
07-02-2009, 18:05
Yes, it is unprofessional. However, it's hardly a huge thing. I have paid my 15 and even if it does say Slaan Magwe Priest I can still play the game and have all the rules and stats that I need.

I think you're missing the point. GW charges top dollar prices, so we should expect top notch products. An army book, which they've had plenty of time to work on, should not have many, if any at all, typos. It's the principle of the matter.

I find the typos in the black library novels more annoying. And that you can sometimes tell that the endings are rushed to meet a release date. That comes across so obviously sometimes.

I have frequently thought this myself. I will be reading along, and in the first 80% of the book I hardly find any mistakes. Then I get to the last 20% and it seems there is a mistake on every three or four pages. I just finished Keepers of the Flame, and the last part of the book looked like no one at all proofread the thing.

Braad
07-02-2009, 19:35
Pot calling kettle black, I am afraid. :rolleyes:

You mean the bit about 'Slaan'.
It surprises me how many people say this, while at least in the English books and on the site it clearly says 'Slann'.
Is it from some translated (French, German?) armybook or so?

Misfratz
07-02-2009, 20:00
It surprises me how many people say this, while at least in the English books and on the site it clearly says 'Slann'.
Is it from some translated (French, German?) armybook or so?
It's probably because a word in English ending with "nn" is perplexing to pronounce. How is "slann" different to "slan"?

Whereas, there is an obvious difference between "slaan" and "slan", and so people go with "slaan" rather than "slann".

I think.

On typos. You would be surprised how hard it is to catch typos. I spent a long time, and I really mean, a long time, checking for typos in my MSc dissertation, which I proudly had multiple copies of bound to give to my parents, etc. Thus far I have found a further two typos that I managed to miss.

I find typos in a variety of other books [there was at least one in the translation of "The Count of Monte Cristo" that I read recently for example]. I do find GW worse in this respect, but statements that this would be easy to fix in its entirety are wide of the mark. Dakkaguns, from the Ork 'dex, have me confused though.

Four typos were corrected in this post before it was posted.

Griefbringer
07-02-2009, 20:06

Primarily that, though the sentence was also missing punctuation.

Curiously enough, lots of people manage to also mistype certain chaos deity as "Slannesh" - the idea of the prince of pleasure being a deitified renegade bloated frog is horrible to comprehend! :eek:

The Old Scholar
07-02-2009, 20:08
What do you think the problem is, though?
Is it the team rushing the book to the printers?
The page-setters and printers do not proof. They merely print what they are given, so we can't blame them.
Who is dropping the ball? Who here on Warseer knows about printing a book, as in cost per letter and cost per page? What sort of editting team does GW have? Is it one guy and his assitant reading through stacks of things while pressured by higher ups to complete other projects? Has there been a massive lay-off lately that has led to a diminishing in the quality, or at least a failure to meet the expectation of the consumer?
I'm okay with a few mistakes and am more concerned with the overall creativity behind a project, but is this true grounds for concern? Are we slated for a decline in the care and professionalism behind projects to come?
(Oh, and I am aware of the handful of you who like to make silly remarks like, "Quality? What quality? Professionalism, what professionalism. They're careless if you ask me." and what have you, but I'm trying to be serious...:) I'm really curious as to why there is this problem at all.)
I vote that there is a lot of madness going on over at GW and they are suffering from "Headless Chicken Syndrome," in order to meet the demands of a very challenged market. Just think VIDEO GAMES and the multi-billion dollar market that has become and the drain it causes on the traditional gaming community. One would think that with such competition, the team at GW would be highly polished, their product so engrossing that players and potential players develop small obsessions when thinking about the background, the models, the entire game and what it has to offer.
I don't know, it seems something is wrong because I don't see that happening as much anymore and it may have something to do with the overall quality of the product released from the designers. Maybe it is a fluke and it won't happen in the books to come. Let's all hope, yeah?

Quetzl
07-02-2009, 20:09
I have to say that the books looks great, the colour section could be a little more heartening to say the least but I suppose it costs more over black and white :rolleyes:

I just think it's little things like spelling/organization/font size that can really ruin a book, not just an army book. And it's a shame that the books got a few flaws, not many, but enough to spur this thread on - and it tarnishes the release overall. Oh well bit of a shame for the guys who wrote it *and the other errored workings* perhaps they'll realise and take that little extra time to niggle with the errors.

It's the small things ey?

McMullet
07-02-2009, 20:16
The odd typo is inevitable, but I have to say this book is much worse than average on the typo front. I make typos myself, and often miss them (when writing things on here or professionally - my best so far was when MS Word's autocorrect kindly changed a mistyping of "conclusion" to "convulsion". That got through me, my boss, two reviewers and the publisher's proofreaders and was printed).

There are a LOT of typos in this book. I only got it today, and I noticed well over half a dozen just from scanning part way through. Now, some are excusable (missed commas, replacing one real word with another) but some are not. "Magwe" for "Mage" is among the worst; Mage is a real word, Magwe is not. Any spellchecker will tell you that. Even to go through a long document to check for stuff like this takes only a couple of hours.

In any case, at one point in the book they incorrectly used a semicolon. Everything else pales beside that.

Mouldsta
07-02-2009, 20:32
Haha, I'd realised to I'd spelt it wrongly (too used to spelling slaanesh), but too late to edit. Mind you I don't throw a wobbly about typo's, and there is a difference between something I hammer out on a keyboard in 10 seconds without the aid of a spell check, and the word "magwe" which would flag up instantly on a spell checker in an official publication.

Gork or Possibly Mork
07-02-2009, 20:46
"Magwe"? LMAO!!! Don't feed the Slann after midnight they might turn into gremlins.:D

Seriously thats pretty pathetic. I can live with simple grammer errors but don't massacre known names and such. I was looking forward to the new book but now maybe I'll wait for a reprint.

Coram_Boy
07-02-2009, 20:48
They are not a mom and pop operation while at the same time they are not publishing tens of thousands of words a month.

think about that statement. at about 3-500 words a page of a typical white dwarf magazine, and around 125 pages, that's about 39,000 words a month, not even considering their other publications. Also, I think that the GW ethic is to use a computer spell-checking system - much cheaper, and nearly as good. however, with words like slann, saurus, skink, kroxigor, and so on, to edit out, it's easy to let some slips through. The slips are annoying, but not the end of the world. if it really ruins your day, just don't buy the book, go home, and seethe in a darkened room about the ridiculousness of the whole situation.

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 20:56
im sure that the spellchecks could be made to ignore certain words like "slann" "kroxigor" "skink" "mazdamundi" or whatever. at any rate, it is just like the college kid who turns in his term paper a day late to the professor and has imaginary words like "magwe" in it, who make the professor go :wtf:

dont get all magwe about it! :)

Gork or Possibly Mork
07-02-2009, 21:01
The first Slann I field will be named "Gizmo the Magwe Priest" as a tribute to GW.

Desert Rain
07-02-2009, 21:08
It's a really good book, but it's annoying with all the spelling mistakes and other typos, such as lparts written in bold continue into parts that are in italics. Look at p 65 to see what I mean. Even I who isn't a native speaker noticed over a dozen spelling mistakes, why can't they atleast proofread it ONCE!?!

All right, done with the whining ;P

Condottiere
07-02-2009, 21:15
im sure that the spellchecks could be made to ignore certain words like "slann" "kroxigor" "skink" "mazdamundi" or whatever. at any rate, it is just like the college kid who turns in his term paper a day late to the professor and has imaginary words like "magwe" in it, who make the professor go :wtf:

dont get all magwe about it! :)All spell checkers have that. Sounds rather slipshod.

Desert Rain
07-02-2009, 21:21
...they have completely trashed some of the best flavor element created by Anthony Reynolds in the last edition such as Slann generations, Saurus spawnings...
I for one doesn't think that Slann generations are gone, they just arn't as obvious as before. Think like this: In the previous edition you had 4 different generations to choose from. Nowadays you can chose up to FOUR diciplines. So on dicipline equals 5th generation, 2 diciplines equals 4th generation and so on.

Griefbringer
07-02-2009, 21:31
Haha, I'd realised to I'd spelt it wrongly (too used to spelling slaanesh)

It's a really good book, but it's annoying with all the spelling mistakes and other typos, such as lparts written in bold

Irony is still thick in the air... :cool:

Actually, thinking about it, "Magwe priest" sounds much more fantastic than the plain old "Mage priest"!

Misfratz
07-02-2009, 21:34
Irony is still thick in the air... :cool:Yeah, but they didn't ask you to pay 15 for it, and then expect you to play a game by "Rules as Written [including typos]".

Desert Rain
07-02-2009, 21:45
Irony is still thick in the air... :cool:!
You get it for free here;)

Condottiere
08-02-2009, 01:06
Irony is still thick in the air... :cool:

Actually, thinking about it, "Magwe priest" sounds much more fantastic than the plain old "Mage priest"!Magwe implies that they can spawn in pools.

Alathir
08-02-2009, 01:09
Doesn't really bother me, I can forgive a few typos as it won't change my experience of the new book in the slightest. I'd rather just get on with the day than pick on little things like this.

TheDarkDuke
08-02-2009, 01:25
GW doesnt proof read and only now you are starting to think this....
Which rock did you just crawl out from under?

1 day of minimum wage spent on 1 person in a room spellchecking the book and looking for silly errors is all it would take to rectify the problem.

Actually, a simple click of a spell check button would pick out any spelling errors, and would be the least they should do.

Crazy Harborc
08-02-2009, 02:01
WD is now $8(USD) cover price if you don't subscribe. Armybooks going to $25(USD). Those are TOP prices for the printed word. GW presents itself as a top of the line high quality producer of miniies, rules and all the needed accessories.

No magazine(s) and very few books are typo free. But then are they charging 8 for one single magazine and 25 for a single suppliment to the rules?

Arnizipal
08-02-2009, 02:12
I think this is a recent development. I don't remember ever finding a typo in the armybooks of 5th or 6th edition.

Maybe it has something to do with the staff of Black Industries being absorbed by GW. Their proofreading for WFRP was absolutely awful. :p

darkace77450
08-02-2009, 12:55
If this is a trend, can we look forward to reading about Womb Kings and Grail Nights and Wood Elf Spits?

emperorpenguin
08-02-2009, 13:53
There's an unusually high number of typos in the book alright. I recently bought "The Great War" from GW Historical and it too was plagued by typos. Maybe they really are skimping on proof-reading?

One silly mistake I noticed was the description of the spine of sotek mountains running along the east coast of Lustria. Did the writer not look at the map or does he have to label his shoes as "left" and "right"? ;)

darkace77450
08-02-2009, 16:30
There's an unusually high number of typos in the book alright. I recently bought "The Great War" from GW Historical and it too was plagued by typos. Maybe they really are skimping on proof-reading?

One silly mistake I noticed was the description of the spine of sotek mountains running along the east coast of Lustria. Did the writer not look at the map or does he have to label his shoes as "left" and "right"? ;)

If you think that is bad, go through the various books and look at the maps of the Warhammer world; Cathay seems to never be in the same location twice.

Arnizipal
08-02-2009, 19:30
If you think that is bad, go through the various books and look at the maps of the Warhammer world; Cathay seems to never be in the same location twice.
Could be "in character" maps. WFRP uses that excuse all the time :p