PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf Lizardmen article Confused Me

dunagrad
06-02-2009, 22:33
In the WD interview with Andy Hoare and Robin Cruddace, Andy says, "The Saurus have particularly benefitted this time around as I've increased this [Scaly Skin Save] to a 5+ save. So, when armed with hand weapons and shield, your core units of Saurus warriors have a very healthy 3+ save in combat."

Now, I don't have the book, so am I missing something here? I mean, a shield, as I understand it by the Warhammer Rule Book is only a +1 modifier to an armor save, thus, when combining it with a 5+ SS save, doesn't that just make it a 4+ armor save? I don't have the new book, but in the old book, Saurus warriors do not have light armor as well. Is there some important core rule I am missing? He mentions toughness prior to his statement, but I don't recall toughness having anything to do with armor saves.

Incidentally, Andy Hoare also talks about the Temple Guard having a 2+ armor save in combat with shield and light armor. Please help me on this because I would love to be wrong.

Cry of the Wind
06-02-2009, 22:35
Parry bonus +1sv when you use a hand weapon and shield in close combat. This extra plus 1 only works in hand to hand but does indeed make a warrior with a 4+ save outside of combat have a 3+ in. Temple Guard can use either their hand weapons or halbards in HtH giving them the option of boosting their save there to 2+.

dunagrad
06-02-2009, 22:38
Nice. Where is that in the rule book? For my own personal future reference, particularly against my cousin.

dunagrad
06-02-2009, 22:40
Never mind, I just found it. Wow, can't believe I never saw that. I really need to get out there and play more.

Dead Man Walking
06-02-2009, 23:29
It also only works on foot, mounted models do not get this bonus.

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 00:14
and for that matter if you are on a monstrous mount you dont get +1as since you are "mounted".
people all the time like to do that garbage as well.
the parry bonus is a huge bonus with the 6th edition, but now in 7th edition it only works if you are on foot and fighting to the front and not to your side or rear.

maze ironheart
07-02-2009, 11:41
Same could be said when he says lord kroak is back when did he leave the book:confused:.

Ophidian
07-02-2009, 11:45
He's back in the same sense the lizardmen are 'back'

maze ironheart
07-02-2009, 11:49
Ah I see just sounded like he was saying that lord kroak had left in the last book.

mweaver
07-02-2009, 15:31
I like that shield rule and have started using it in Mordheim.

Lugburz
07-02-2009, 16:20
The article also states that channeling is useful when casting radius spells like drain life, and cleansing flare, are these counted as magic missiles?

Condottiere
08-02-2009, 01:44
Magic missiles are stated as such, and need LOS.

Neckutter
08-02-2009, 02:22
andy hoare makes me doubt that he plays fantasy more than once every other month, with his nonsensical "article" in the WD.