PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Magic Item Section

Lord Anathir
04-12-2005, 02:57
So what is your favorite magic item section. By this i mean a race and a section, such as talismans, magic weapons, etc.

I'll start this off.

High Elf Magical Banners: Battle Banner, Sorcery, Ellyrion Banner, Lion Standard, and all the other ones.

MarcoPollo
04-12-2005, 03:20
I like the bretonian magic section. I think that their talismans and enchanted items are pretty solid. Lots of tricks can be found in combination, and there are many surprise items there too. I don't have a list infront of me though.

slannm
04-12-2005, 03:37
Lizardmen, sacred plaques. No slann is complete without a plawue of tepok and a plaque of protection. The arcane diadem of power is also pretty nifty. Lizardmen magic weapons aren't so great, its easier to pomp your character out with marks instead.

Muffin Man
04-12-2005, 05:24
Empire has a pretty sweet one in my opinion.

The well known Van Horstmen's Speculum.
Sword of Fate - give it to a captain on a pegasus to go down in a blaze of glory.
Laurels of Victory - who knew human characters could break units on their own?
Rod of Power - play with some tricks with your opponent, maybe you'll keep casting maybe you won't. Plus let's you have more dispel dice if you're going magic light or more power dice if the opponent is.

Erm, that's not just one section though is it? I guess the Empire Enchanted items have the highest concentration of fun/useful/gimicky items. Lots of different things you can and would do there.

Bubble Ghost
04-12-2005, 05:57
Dark Elf magic weapons. Nothing fancy, and some of them are just plain rubbish (Executioner's Axe, Dark Sword, I'm looking at you). But the ones that are good - Crimson Death, Draich of Dark Power, Gauntlet of Power - are exactly that: just plain good. Simple and effective.They let you hit stuff very hard, with no caveats, at pleasingly efficient points costs. +2 strength and killing blow? What more could you possibly want from magic weapon? You can keep your exchanging hits for one big hit, and your extra attacks per unit strength of a goblin on a Monday morning except bank holidays. You know where you are with Dark Elf magic weapons.

Failing that, Cult of Ulric enchanted items. The Bane of the Craven is perhaps the single most satisfying thing to spring on an opponent in the whole game of Warhammer. But then I suppose I would say that.

shadowprince
04-12-2005, 07:44
High elf, cheepest and got everything. Espically a frot runner fr most powerful item in game Book of hoeth.

Kahadras
04-12-2005, 12:18
Brettonians as they have some really vicious little combos that a lot of people don't see comming. It also has one of my favorite items in the game; the gauntlet of the duel which combines exceedingly well with stuff such as the virtue of confindence.

Kahadras

Sambojin
04-12-2005, 14:34
Apart from the obligatory dispel scrolls in my 2 armies it has to be:

Goblins: either the re-roll staff, ring and doo-dahs if I go meagic heavy, or just 2 scrolls, amour of mork or sizzlas baubles or my heavy unit (the baubles make it scary for any mage to cast a decent magic missile at the unit), and a back bone brew. Then whatever else I like the look of depending on points.

Chaos. Always the HoME. Its too good with a psyche re-roll. And the bloodhunt horn. That thing in my oppinion is THE nastiest damn thing in the game.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-12-2005, 18:10
For da ladz it's gotta be the enchanted items section. Magic boots, how cool is that? With killing blow? Yea! Actually that's one of the worst buys in the book but it's so appropriate for my boss to have shiny boots.
I'm really looking into tomb kings and the magic banners are quickly becoming my favourite.

Sir Charles
04-12-2005, 19:31
Brettonians as they have some really vicious little combos that a lot of people don't see comming. It also has one of my favorite items in the game; the gauntlet of the duel which combines exceedingly well with stuff such as the virtue of confindence.

Kahadras
Yeah they do, 5+ ward plus regeneration plus immunity to fire is nice.:evilgrin:

chivalrous
05-12-2005, 18:54
I must be one of the few Dark Elf players who thinks Lifetaker is something special. Okay, it isn't particularly strong but the re-roll makes up for that a little.

What it is really good for is taking out low toughness flyers (furies, screamers and great eagles), whittling down skirmisher units and every now and again if the opportunity presents itself, knocking the rank bonus of a unit down.
It's not a game winner in itself but used properly it provides and edge.

Makaber
05-12-2005, 19:27
Hordes of Chaos armour selection. Because they are priced for characters who allready have a 4+ save, when I give them to my beastlads, I get both a discount 4+ armour, plus bitchin' special effects like with the Armour of Damnation.

Chuffy
05-12-2005, 19:28
Orcs.

They have a few very good choices, but mostly I like it because the descriptions are utterly hilarious, as are the names.

"Dangly Wotnotz" ehehe.

aakurtz
05-12-2005, 19:33
the VCs cursed book is my fav

Hideous Loon
05-12-2005, 20:27
I concur with aakurtz on this 'un. The Undead Library (that is, Cursed Book and err, "the-book-which-casts-Vanhel's-Danse-as-a-Bound-spell", forgot the name) is teh best. But what I really like is the Blood Drinker. I mean, a weapon that makes your character regenerate when acting killy towards someone else? How cool isn't THAT?

Frecus
05-12-2005, 20:39
I agree with my fellow blood-drinkers.

The VC magic weapon list, while not the most useful, is certainly the most characterful I've seen!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

nikolai7
06-12-2005, 12:34
The Blood Dragon bloodline power list (I play the appendix blood dragon list so slightly biased) just means you dont have to buy any magic weapons or anything that can be dispelled or killed off with certain spells like vauls unmaking etc. Which is useful when blood dragons are not so hot when it comes to magic.

Kahadras
06-12-2005, 13:02
Personaly I think that the Bretonnian virtues are slightly superior to the stuff the VC get. Mainly because it stacks well with the magic items that you can get. I would like to see the VC with a few more of these cool combo's when they decide to redo the armies book. At the present moment I don't like a lot of the stuff they can get.

Kahadras

darghan
07-12-2005, 00:31
I'd say the generic magic items....

dispel scroll, warbanner, enchanted shield... Items i take in many different armies.

Reinnon
07-12-2005, 14:32
either the warbanner or the staff of change

the staff of change is just so well.....fantastic for the points

Hal
09-12-2005, 04:34
Empire proctective items.

Armour of Meteoric iron (1+ armour) + Holy relic (4+ wardsave) = Indestructable Lord.

~Hal~

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-12-2005, 10:09
I agree with my fellow blood-drinkers.

The VC magic weapon list, while not the most useful, is certainly the most characterful I've seen!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

But would you ever actually use any of them? Besides, some of them is more odd than characterful I think. Frost Blade? I guess they had to put it into some army...

Only one that seems marginally useful to me is the Sword of Knights, and then only if your using a Wright Lord in a Wright unit with Banner of the Barrows.

Difficult choice in what is the best/favourite. I'd say the common magic item list if that counts, as I tend to always use both scrolls, Warbanner and Sword of Might from there. So using the largest percentage of magic items from that list ;)

Morph
09-12-2005, 11:36
The Great Weapon. It costs only a few points and gives a big +2 S.... wait a moment, what was the topic again?

Well, of the armies I've played - Tk's have a number of enchanted items I like (too many, I keep wanting to give more than one to my lord), and some good banners too. And some good talismans. And arcane items. Thinking about it, lots of good stuff!

In contrast my Lizzies are a bit disapointing. Not great banners, rubbish talismans and armour. One or two decent enchanted items (Jaguar Charm springs to mind).

Don't play them myself, but Chaos seem to have a lot of choice including some great armour selections.

lee909
09-12-2005, 14:22
The best I.M.O is the blood dragon powers list
But i also like the Von Carstien ring with a great weapon
But the best(funniest)has to be Skaven assasin with the brass orb when playing a 2nd gen slann

Insane Alex
09-12-2005, 14:24
Lizardmen Enchanted Items. :O

Jaguar Charm AND Venom of the Firefly Frog.