PDA

View Full Version : Gobbo chariots

WarriorOfJustice
04-12-2005, 03:33
What is the point of adding another wolf for 7 points, just an extra wolf attack?

Muffin Man
04-12-2005, 04:37
Ya, pretty much, but remember the wolves fights better than the gobbos in the chariot :eek:

Ganymede
04-12-2005, 05:53
Buying a fourth gobbo and extra spears is the infinetly better buy. Of course, if you really need those 7 points, you can leave em naked. But those wolves are never a good deal, skip them.

Scythe
04-12-2005, 17:59
Indeed. Remember that an extra wolf also means an extended frontage of the chariot, which means less room to maneuver and more return attacks in combat (which isn't nice with the WS an T of the chariot).

archysucks_Hail_Crom
05-12-2005, 07:19
The rumormill around my campsite is that in previous editions you could attack and wound the mounts of the chariot leaving the chariot still alive but its movement hampered by the one dead horse/wolf/boar/whateva'. so in this case the third wolf would be better.

neXus6
05-12-2005, 07:21
Yes it is so people who made 3 wolf charriots, for the reason Crom has given, for the last edition can use full rules for their models.

Scythe
05-12-2005, 08:25
I think it's more because there was acctually a gw model (a special character I believe) who had a chariot pulled by 3 wolves. Otherwise this argument could be made for more races, since gobbos were not the only ones who could get extra mounts before a chariot. High elves could have up to 4 elven steeds before their chariots I think.

archysucks_Hail_Crom
05-12-2005, 10:48
Yeah the characters name was Grom the Paunch (http://uk.games-workshop.com/orcsandgoblins/special-characters/5/)

neXus6
05-12-2005, 14:52
Who is, background wise, one of the coolest special characters ever. :)

By "made 3 wolf chariots" I pretty much ment Grom's chariot with normal crew. Though as the charriot does suck a bit just the 3 wolf yoke pieces on a nicer chariot would be cool. :D

Sambojin
07-12-2005, 11:39
Suprisingly enough, the extra wolf does make a chariot a tiny bit better as a wizard hunter. With all options against a wizard on a 25mm base (or cav) you get 4 st4, 3 st3 attacks and some impact hits. Dosent get the extra attack vs 20mm bases though. Pretty crappy for 7pts, but the gobbo chariot is prob underpointed as a whole anyway.

neXus6
07-12-2005, 11:44
You know I've only ever hit my chariots into units and I've never had a wolf not in a position to attack. I thought they all could always attack, looks like I'm wrong in that asumption. :)

blurred
07-12-2005, 13:00
I thought they all could always attack, looks like I'm wrong in that asumption.

They CAN always attack. Chariot is like a single model so its crew and mounts can always attack no matter how it is positioned in combat.

Scythe
07-12-2005, 14:55
Indeed. All new chariot models are supplied with a chariot base just for that these days...

neXus6
07-12-2005, 14:59
So sam was wrong with the "won't get to attack a 20mm based model" ... I do know my rules after all. :p

I'm currently at that stage where I feel like I should probably re-read the rulebook even though I do know it all. :)

Scythe
08-12-2005, 13:35
You could just as well save the effort and wait a year with 7th edition coming around....:p

LaughinGremlin
08-12-2005, 20:43
Indeed. All new chariot models are supplied with a chariot base just for that these days...
So, this base is pretty useless if one wants to make three wolves pull the chariot instead of two, right?:eyebrows: One can't cram three wolves onto a 40mm frontage...

rune
09-12-2005, 00:09
yeah you could, if the third one was like.. a little bit ahead of the other two, or trailing a bit behind. i doubt you could stick all 3 literally side by side, but im sure you could pose it..

Scythe
09-12-2005, 09:06
So, this base is pretty useless if one wants to make three wolves pull the chariot instead of two, right?:eyebrows: One can't cram three wolves onto a 40mm frontage...

Yup, pretty much. The idea with extra wolves is that you cram them on the side (like Settras chariot) I think. But hey, you can't expect gw to produce a base for an upgrade option that is never taken anyway, can you?

Avian
09-12-2005, 09:28
The base size chart they released a while back defines 3-wolf chariots as 75 mm wide, though...

The extra wolf option is basically for veteran players, like myself, who converted chariots to have 3 wolves back when this was a very good option. Suffice to say I only use 2-wolf ones todays, as they make much smaller targets and are easier to get into combat alongside other units.