PDA

View Full Version : Tankbustas - anybody bother any more?

RTB01
07-02-2009, 11:44
Morning all,

I'm toying with the idea of mounted tankbustas but really put off with the 'Glory Hogs' rule - do people still use tankbustas or have people dropped them because of this? How do people get on with the rule?

Darkhorse
07-02-2009, 11:56
I have a full size mob but they only appeared in 2 normal games since the new codex came out. Frankly there are lots of better options, Bikers and Kommandos can reach the tanks before they can and hit rear armour.
Transport is a premium asset and if you aren't a nob or a burnaboy you aren't getting a ride.
Tankbustas are Apocalypse only now.

marv335
07-02-2009, 12:04
I think they're still ok.
As long as you remember to control their line of sight they are quite a powerful unit.

Goq Gar
07-02-2009, 12:05
IIRC, if you stick them in a trukk, they have no "line of sight", and so can fire at whichever target they want.

Earthbeard
07-02-2009, 12:59
IIRC, if you stick them in a trukk, they have no "line of sight", and so can fire at whichever target they want.

Pretty heavy intended twist of the ruling there. They can still shoot from a trukk, so what makes you think they don't have "los"?

Darkhorse
07-02-2009, 13:09
Well that was the quickest banning I've seen.
Nice to see the Mods doing their job.

MrGiggles
07-02-2009, 14:14
I still use mine, simply because I have fun with them. There is no more hilarious way to take out a tank than with a Bomb Squig.

For me though, my hit rolls for that unit are better than they've any right to be, so it makes a difference. If I couldn't count on lots of hits with the mob, I'd be spending points elsewhere.

I've never had many issues with the Glory Hogs rule. The secret is in the positioning. It's pretty similar to wanting to get the maximum bang for your buck out of a KFF Mek. I tend to deploy and move these guys one of two ways. I either stick them where there's nothing but vehicles nearby, in which case, they can shoot and assault till their heart's content or I just use a vehicle or two to screen their LoS. In the second option, I use the vehicles to bracket targets or block LoS all together to enable a run.

They definitely take a little extra care when you're deploying and moving them, but they're certainly not a prohibitively bad choice. The thing that tends to bite them is that they're Orks with weapons which shoot once per round and have movement and combat restrictions. They can be a little inconvenient on the battlefield and they take some extra attention. They're also competing for those premium Elite slots with some of the truly strong Ork units like Lootas and Nobz.

Gensuke626
07-02-2009, 19:44
I run 2 small mobs of 5 in my Take all comers 1500. I find that the Rokkitz are great, especially en masse, and I Foot slog them on or near my flanks. So far there's only been one instance where Glory Hogs has hindered me. Keeping 2 mobs around means you can try to take out enemy armor almost every turn and if the enemy is playing Keep Away, he has to be farther out than he can be useful...

Red Skullz
07-02-2009, 20:55
I made a mob of 10 riding in a looted wagon with skorcha and two rokkit launchas. Only tried them one time but I felt they worked great! In fact they`re in my 1650 list for good now :D

R

Nym
07-02-2009, 21:15
The only tank that troubles me is the Land Raider, and they aren't that great at taking it down. Against all other tanks I prefer Lootas.

Strangely though, they do wonder against Tyranids which don't have a single tank... 12 Rokkits (assuming you're not using Tankhammers or Nob) average 4 hits and between 3 and 4 wounds. That's enough to reliably take down 3+sv Monstrous Creatures in a single shooting phase. Against Tyrants with Tyrant Guards they're pure leetsauce.

Gensuke626
07-02-2009, 23:35
Strangely though, they do wonder against Tyranids which don't have a single tank... 12 Rokkits (assuming you're not using Tankhammers or Nob) average 4 hits and between 3 and 4 wounds. That's enough to reliably take down 3+sv Monstrous Creatures in a single shooting phase. Against Tyrants with Tyrant Guards they're pure leetsauce.

Which is why the Glory Hogs rule is in place. They're very cheap for a move and fire Short Barrelled Krak Missile.

shabbadoo
08-02-2009, 00:15
Tankbustas work very well when carried on the back of a Big Squiggoth, as the Bomb Squigs won't ever attack it. :D

SquishySquig
08-02-2009, 01:43
:skull: The squiggoth can also help block line of sight if needed. I've found that having them baby sit a warp head is loads of fun and pretty effective too. 'ere we go, has done wonders for their mobility. :skull:

ard boy stu
08-02-2009, 09:29
I dont think the glory hog rule is that bad. At lest there rockit lanchas are assult not heavy cause then that rule would be iritating

RTB01
08-02-2009, 12:53
i don't have a squiggoth :( perhaps i should loot one?... I'm gonna give the tankbustas a run out and see how i get on - Normally i would use lootas but I fancy trying summats different, even though it is a deathskull army with no lootas... bad me

Coasty
08-02-2009, 13:31
How can you resist taking a mob of boyz who run up to tanks and hit them with rockets on sticks???

O&G'sRule
08-02-2009, 13:56
I like tankbustas with tank hammers. very orcy unit in that they will probably get themselves killed doing their job

RTB01
08-02-2009, 14:39
i can't resist - so i won't - i'll give them a bash myself - as an aside what was banned?! - if i shouldn't be asking then please remove this post

Snotteef
09-02-2009, 04:20
I haven't tried my orks under 5th (mainly because of all the work involved replacing and re-arming models and buying new guys to fill holes made by the new dex), but I don't think they hold a candle to the previous incarnation which was troops, had the tank-hunter skill and came with 5 cheap bodies to soak up casualties.

I plan to use them, but I doubt I will be very happy with them, having experienced 3rd edition Tankhunters and loved them dearly.