PDA

View Full Version : carnosaurs armour save

meanmachine
07-02-2009, 18:31
hi

does the carnosaur give his rider a +1 armour save or more

Asmodiseus
07-02-2009, 18:38
It doesnt say they do so the answer is no they dont.

Braad
07-02-2009, 18:49
If no specific exceptions are given (of which I am not aware in this case, but I don't think so), no mount with more then 1 wound gives +1AS.

Reason is that the single wound mount is actually treated as a single model that is removed whole when it is killed, while the larger mounts have to be killed seperately from riders, and therefore they already provide their own wounds as defence, and not the +1AS.
Consider the +1AS on single wound mounts as an exchange for the wound they don't actually get to use.

meanmachine
07-02-2009, 19:20
Hi again

so what do you think is more effective

a saurus oldblood on carnosaur with a 4+ save

or on a cold one with 2+ save

Bac5665
07-02-2009, 19:27
A saurus oldblood on a carnasour with a 2+ save.

meanmachine
07-02-2009, 20:06
A saurus oldblood on a carnasour with a 2+ save.

but the guy above stated that the oldblood doesn't get a 2+ save when on a carnosaur

Sarah S
07-02-2009, 20:12
Enchanted Shields are a wonderful thing.

KillbotFactory
07-02-2009, 20:13
Once you give him a shield and light armor he does.

meanmachine
07-02-2009, 20:49
Once you give him a shield and light armor he does.

ok but does that mean if he's on a cold one his save is 0+

Bac5665
07-02-2009, 21:07
Yes, that's true. But the Carnasaur does a lot more damage than a cold-one.

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 21:59
saurus oldblood with light armor and shield gives you 2+ armor, silly. :)
that doesnt include nifty things like enchanted shield/hide of cold ones.

plus riding a cold one would give you a -1 AS, which is pretty decent. :P

Necromancy Black
07-02-2009, 22:12
The sheer pain that a Carnosaur can dish out is better then the extra armour save from the cold one, imo.

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 22:15
my slaanesh giant has eaten two of them in the last month.
**thump with club, FTW**

Braad
07-02-2009, 22:47
Cold ones have stupidity (they didn't change that, right?) and personally I don't like lord-class models to have that, since they tend to fail right at the moment you need it.

The problem with the carnosaur is that it attracts a lot a arrows (well, my opponents carnosaur does...) and it costs a lot of points. But I think on all other aspects a carnosaur is a better choice then a cold one for your lord. Though a single 1 should be enough in most armies.

Neckutter
07-02-2009, 22:53
playing an army with 2 carnosaurs and 8 stegadons would be insane!

all of a sudden its monster-truck rally time!

Asmodiseus
08-02-2009, 04:44
Cold ones have stupidity (they didn't change that, right?) and personally I don't like lord-class models to have that, since they tend to fail right at the moment you need it.

The problem with the carnosaur is that it attracts a lot a arrows (well, my opponents carnosaur does...) and it costs a lot of points. But I think on all other aspects a carnosaur is a better choice then a cold one for your lord. Though a single 1 should be enough in most armies.

Stupidity is not that much of a problem with cold blooded. Basicly each mount serves a different purpose and you cant just ask which is better, as that is like asking which is better a Great Weapon or a Shield. They each serve different functions.

A Carnasaur will give you alot more offensive power but it will leave your lord more vunerable to ranged attacks specifically missle fire, Also he will not have as good of defense (read AS). A Cold one will not cause the distruction a Caransaur will but you can place him in a unit makeing him nearly untouchable by missle fire, and an extra 2 AS to boot. Its all in what you want to do with your lord.

havoc626
08-02-2009, 05:17
Mind you, a Carnosaur isn't a large target anymore, so it makes it easier to hide him in/behind units and that is a big thing for it. Without being able to take a few wounds off it before it reaches an enemy's lines (Unless it happens to be a 'lucky' cannon ball/Stone thrower that lands after drifting, or a WLC) I think that it is well worth the points.

As for this thread, I never noticed that monterous mounts don't add +1 to the armour save of the character. Looking it up, I see that it was tucked away in the corner of the Monster Mounts page.

Braad
08-02-2009, 09:51
Mind you, a Carnosaur isn't a large target anymore...

It's not? That's crazy... its a huge model! About as large as my wyvern, I think...

nosferatu1001
08-02-2009, 10:17
It also does D3 wounds at S7 to everything now :D

They are ******** expensive tho, and not a greta AS so can still get shot out. just need screening units...

Asmodiseus
09-02-2009, 03:46
Mind you, a Carnosaur isn't a large target anymore, so it makes it easier to hide him in/behind units and that is a big thing for it. Without being able to take a few wounds off it before it reaches an enemy's lines (Unless it happens to be a 'lucky' cannon ball/Stone thrower that lands after drifting, or a WLC) I think that it is well worth the points.

As for this thread, I never noticed that monterous mounts don't add +1 to the armour save of the character. Looking it up, I see that it was tucked away in the corner of the Monster Mounts page.

While he may not be a large target, he is still a US 6 model and as such can be picked out if he chooses to try and hide inside units.

havoc626
09-02-2009, 04:56
While he may not be a large target, he is still a US 6 model and as such can be picked out if he chooses to try and hide inside units.

True, forgot about that. Mind you, you might not want to be putting it in a squad of COR anyway, they might go a little stupid.:p

grhino
09-02-2009, 11:02
A carnosaur does not have 5 wounds, right? That would make it ridiculously strong, because no model would be able to kill it before it gets killed by it (maybe except a star dragon riding prince or archaon). US 6 seems a bit high to me...

It is an expensive mount with limited effect against strong combat troops. Also, in a 2000+ but less than 3000 points you let go of the option of having a ridiculously strong and cheap slann!

nosferatu1001
09-02-2009, 12:07
T5 and 5 wounds - similar to the Hydra just without the regen! Oh and more points....but 1 higher movement.

US6 is correct. Against strong combat troops - well the 5 S7 attacks mean i t can bite them in half quite nicely!

Neckutter
09-02-2009, 12:08
carnosaurs have 5 wounds.
bretonnians can kill it easily.
slaanesh giants can kill it rediculously easy
regular giants can kill it if you get the charge off, and are a little lucky.
DE lord can eventually kill it, most likely without a scratch.
if a hydra could charge the carni, i bet it would do well against it, if it has both its attendants with it.

there are a lot of other examples i just cant think of off hand.

Braad
09-02-2009, 12:21
Spear chukka's can kill them...