PDA

View Full Version : Idea for alternate wound resolution

Kamenwati
08-02-2009, 01:45
I was playing through a game and thinking about the nature of saves. It always struck me as odd that saves are taken after wounds are struck. Now for gameplay reasons I understand why. One side rolls all their rolls, then the other side responds. I'd like to suggest another method that keeps both players involved in the whole sequence.

But thinking about it that seems wrong in a more realistic sense. And yes I understand it is Fantasy but some levels of realism are needed to make the game playable. Rolling to wound should mean that you have already bypassed whatever protection your target has and are now seeing if you managed to hit a critical spot and regeneration still should be taken after wounds are struck, including wounds caused by multiple wound weapons.

In essence I was wondering what people thought about this sequence for wounding.
Roll to hit as normal.
Opponent rolls armor and/or ward saves.
Roll to wound. Apply multiple wound weapon results if any.
Opponent rolls for Regeneration.

chivalrous
08-02-2009, 02:00
That's the way I played it when I got into the game way back when...
It just seemed to make more sense that you'd check to see if the hit got through the armour first before the weapon could do any damage.

Of course it's only a cosmetic change. It won't change the probabilities involved.
All items that feature the comment "after saves etc." will have to be changed too.

Lord Dan
08-02-2009, 02:13
I like it a lot, actually. I don't see any problems with it, though I'm sure some people will jump on and prove me wrong in that belief.

therat
08-02-2009, 03:23
I like it a lot, actually. I don't see any problems with it, though I'm sure some people will jump on and prove me wrong in that belief.

Killing Blow presents a problem. If you roll to hit, then roll AS, and then roll to wound for whatever made it through, Killing Blow would lose its 'no AS allowed' effect.

Necromancy Black
08-02-2009, 05:34
Pretty much killing blow is the main rule I can think of as to why it won't work, but this is also out of the GW order, meaning that their could be a bunch of things come up in new books that go against this grain.

Personally, I'm happy the way it is. Anyone who says the game needs to be more realisitc while my flame breathing lizards are killing Elves just gets a shake of the head from me.

If not for killing blow though, you method could slot straight in.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
08-02-2009, 05:37

The problem is it slows things down without actually changing anything. 1/2 X 1/2 X 2/3 is the same as 1/2 X 2/3 X 1/2.

WLBjork
08-02-2009, 08:41
It's mainly psychological.

Under normal circumstances using the GW method, it is the player that owns the model who makes the final roll to determine whether the model is indeed "saved" or not.

EldarBishop
08-02-2009, 08:58
It's not broken... it doesn't need fixing...

The Red Scourge
08-02-2009, 09:10
Its a game with dragons – and you can even get dungeons too – it doesn't need realism. It needs a working set of rules to determine casualties and an effect or armor.

If you want realism, you ought to start with the crowd that thinks imperial halberdiers need fixing - and probably try out a game with less 'heroic' proportions :)

- and as said by others, your proposal doesn't work because of the KB rule.