PDA

View Full Version : What are the strengths and weaknesses of the Imperial Guard

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 02:47
I want to know how i can play my guard army effectively and use its strengths to my advantage. also, what do yall think about no leman russes, but a lot of heavy weapons, special weapons, and basilisks?

Monospot
08-02-2009, 02:54
Weakness - the old codex

Strength - the new codex

j/k

Seriously, though, I wouldn't devote too much time or brain power to the current Guard list, unless you are planning on a tournament before May. There are going to be so many unit and organizational changes that I am guessing Guard players will have to do a complete re-evaluation of all their units and tactics.

That being staid, Leman Russ tanks are great, but are by no means necessary to a winning Guard list.

Shangrila
08-02-2009, 03:21
Depends who your fighting, a marine drop troop list would own your heavy weapons platoons.

You play catchacans so you should try playing a game in like jungle so you get a 3 plus coversave.

I have run lists with no tanks but they dont work all that well. although when i ran 9 sentinals and no other armor, with 200 infantry with no heavy weapons. it works good on the nids i was fighting.

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 03:23
i said basilisks. why does no one mention the basilisks in their replies. i want lots of special, heavy, and BASILISKS. and im not really a fan of the catachan codex. i want a regular imperial guard codex based army.

Private Ginger
08-02-2009, 03:31
Basilisks in a Catachan Guard amy? That's like putting an Ork in the middle of Space Marines. It doesn't work, because your artillery will be a prime target. It'll be destroyed quickly which leaves you with your heavy weapons. Who will, in turn, get A-raped by a drop-pod/troops list.

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 03:35
im gonna say this one more time. im not using the catachan codex. most battles are not fought in the jungle. therefore, i am treating them like regular guard.

Shangrila
08-02-2009, 03:37
Bassies suck... why on earth would you take them in anything except apoc? any half way decent player would remove them by turn 2 if not 3.

Also a drop pod dread would still own your bassie. and how can you say youll defend catchacans to the death when you dont even use their codex? :confused:

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 03:43
because there arent that many jungle battles. this would make the codex ineffective. so even the basilisks with indirect fire wouldnt work. im a noob and finally somebody answered the basilisk question. thank you. i dont have any yet, but thought it would be cool to have no tanks, just artillery, chimeras, heavy weapons, and special weapons. if it's impossible to win that way though, i wont do it. also, as you can see by my avatar, i want to have ogryns in my army. it would be hard to do with the catachan codex.

Shangrila
08-02-2009, 03:49
Its not impossible, 3 bassies can lay down hurt for 2 or 3 turns but thats it... and if you miss thats 375 points gon to waste. when you can spend the same points on 2 super sposoned demolishers which dish out the pwnd to everyone. they even have 14/13/11 armor. i use them everygame. i dont take any heavy weapons in squads, just specials like a plasma or Grenade launcher.(usually plasma in a squad with 3 GLs in a hq) if you want Heavys take them with your CHQ. Mortars and lascannons with a sentinal is my most used. but you may want those special weapons squads. Vets are a must... and i think that covers most of the bases...

How many points on average do you play and what armies do you fight the most?

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 03:55
i currently have:

1) 20 catachans
2) 2 heavy bolter teams
3) 1 autocannon team
4) nork deddog

Yeah, i know its not enough for a battle. ill post pics of my army when im done painting. it really doesnt look that bad to me. i mean for a first time painter, im really liking the final product. by the way, ive never played a battle, so im pretty new to the game. i actually got interested after playing Warhammer 40K squad command for PSP. i started researching it because i liked the game so much. i just love how Bad*** the catachans look. the only thing that i dont like about the sculpt is they all have bandanas. i wish there were a few without or a few with a cowboy style hat on. that's why im gonna get some greenstuff when i get more money.

Shangrila
08-02-2009, 03:59
Well if you want i can send you a bunch of cadian heads since i use aftermarket stuff if you want helmeted heads... i should have 300 of em so i could send you a bunch. ide reccomend waiting for these new releases before you buy anything other then more catchacans, as they arent getting new models that im aware of.

i would get at least 100 infantry models though.

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 04:04
i know everybody says ogryns arent that good, but i really love the old sculpts of the ogryns(i dont like the new ones that much. they all look the same. they are not unique). i hope the new codex gives them better stats. so would 120 catachans be enough for my army's infantry.

Shangrila
08-02-2009, 06:39
I would say so in a 1750 i never run less then that many guardsmen. i have Nork hes the only ORGYN i like.

I recently ran this list to mixed results, it beat my buddies CSMs and my brothers Tryanids(in annihilate) but lost to drop pod marines.

laudarkul
08-02-2009, 07:57
If you do not want LRBT, at least take 1-2 Hellhounds. You may feel that you neea a template weapond especially against those horde armies.And maybe a couple of sentinels plus the 2 Bassies looks cool.

Reaver83
08-02-2009, 08:06
Bassilisks are a meh to me.

Still I just don't get how someone doing catchans is interested in using vehicles, they should be snipers and sentinals...

long bow
08-02-2009, 08:11
:o "sigh" n00b

im gonna say this one more time. im not using the catachan codex. most battles are not fought in the jungle. therefore, i am treating them like regular guard.

READ page 55 to 57 of the imperial guard codex then you will under stand how to get heavy flammers in squads and how to do a themed catachan army.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-02-2009, 10:02
souljaking, I'd like to help you but seeing as the new codex is around the corner, any advice we'll give you will be short-lived. YOu cannot go wrong with basic stuff like LR MBT's or basic Guardsmen but I would suggest to hold off diving too deep into builds, lists, tacticas and shopping sprees until May 2nd.

Still I just don't get how someone doing catchans is interested in using vehicles

:confused: I take it you did not understand the multiple 'I do not play Catachans' statements, yes?

READ page 55 to 57 of the imperial guard codex then you will under stand how to get heavy flammers in squads and how to do a themed catachan army.

And why precisely should anyone read those pages, long bow? It's completely off topic! Heavy Flamers?? You sure you're in the right thread?

long bow
08-02-2009, 10:38
some thing from his other thread today thought i would save space and put it in the same thread

march10k
08-02-2009, 12:55
1. Ogryns are rumored to get a big bump in the new codex...I heard 4+ feel no pain?

2. Model count depends on your flavor. If you're looking for the shooty horde, you could easily be looking at 200+ men in 1750 points. I run exactly 75 men in a 1750 point list...but that's with the mechanized doctrine, so I have 9 chimeras and 3 russes to go with the 75 dismounts.

3. 3 basilisks in 4+ cover will last a hell of a lot longer than people give them credit for. It drives me nuts the way that people act like if it's not AV14, it's AV10. AV12 isn't terrible. In fact, 5th edition AV12 is almost as good as 4th edition AV14.

Basilisk Fan
08-02-2009, 16:20
Id say the great thing about the imperial guard is that they have the best tanks in the game. Also if youre playing on jungle terrain Catachans are ideal

DarkMatter2
08-02-2009, 17:24
For the current codex, infantry sucks, tanks rock, plasma rocks.

For the future codex, infantry will still suck but be much cheaper and therefore probably worth it, Ogryns are going to be great, tanks will be more varied and probably still just as awesome, and plasma will more than likely remain just as awesome.

Grazzy
08-02-2009, 17:36
At the mo guard suck due to the fact they have far too many killpoints. Wait until the new codex and the amazing 4 point guardsman.

Yep, that's right, someone with a time machine who is the fastest speed painter in the world could have 200 guardsman in their 1.5k army no problemo.

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 20:59
Don't imperial guard have the only tanks in the game? the space marines dont really have tanks, just transports and rhinos.

Ranger S2H
08-02-2009, 21:12
I agree, a landraider is not a tank, its a rolling termie-box
nothing more tank than guard armour.

quote: "this sure ain't no pansy eldar armour son!"

tau hammerhead is the next best thing though

souljaking09
08-02-2009, 21:40
i kept hearing everyone say the imperial guard have the best tanks in the game, but then i thought wait, they have the only ones.

Bloodknight
08-02-2009, 21:49
Depends on how you define Tank. Space Marines of course have tanks, for example the Predator, Vindicator and Land Raider. Tau have the Hammerhead, and Eldar the Fire Prism and Falcon. In my opinion, at least the Hammerhead outclasses our tanks, though, especially at killing other tanks.