PDA

View Full Version : Starting Lizardmen

Linkdead
08-02-2009, 04:32
I've been wanting to start a Lizardmen army for almost a year. I heard they were getting a new codex last year and I decided to wait. The codex is finally out and I'm wondering what I should buy in addition to the codex to get a good start on the army.

Kerill
08-02-2009, 04:40
I don't think GW will ever release a lizardmen codex, you'd be better off buying the army book and playing WFB instead.

Nicha11
08-02-2009, 04:45
I don't think GW will ever release a lizardmen codex, you'd be better off buying the army book and playing WFB instead.

I don't think Warseer will ever post a non sarcastic comment, you're better off on Dakka Dakka instead.

slingersam
08-02-2009, 05:19
Saraus are the best core choice in the game, or at
least thats what everyone is saying, also Sauras
Oldblood, or Scar-Veterian is a really good lord/Hero
for its points, other than that its up to you also If,
you tell us what type of army you want to play, and
we can give you more suggestions.

JCOLL
08-02-2009, 05:37
Go crazy - buy them all! lol

Staurikosaurus
08-02-2009, 07:56
I'd suggest the army book (of course), a box of saurus warriors, a box of skinks a scar-veteran blister and a stegadon. You'll end up with a solid small points army to start with and you're likely to use all of those choices in a 2000 pt army

Desert Rain
08-02-2009, 10:04
If you have the money you should consider the battalion box, as it gives you lots of models at a reduced price. In order to play you will need a hero so buy a Scar-Veteran if you want to be fighty or a Skink Priest if you want to be magicky.

Neckutter
08-02-2009, 10:36
buy the armybook, two boxes of saurus with spears, one box of skinks, and 2-3 boxes of temple guard slann and 2 stegadons.

WarmbloodedLizard
08-02-2009, 12:08
buy the armybook, two boxes of saurus with spears, one box of skinks, and 2-3 boxes of temple guard slann and 2 stegadons.

I'd only buy one boy of Temple guard and use saurus-proxies if you need more. also only one steg, razordons/salamanders are more important than a 2nd steg.

Linkdead
08-02-2009, 12:54
I've got a couple hundred I can drop on this army. Are two battalion boxes and a steg a good start?

WarmbloodedLizard
08-02-2009, 13:56
I've got a couple hundred I can drop on this army. Are two battalion boxes and a steg a good start?

no, because you probably wont use that many cold one riders. the steg is okay, though. you also really want either razordons or slamanders.

I suggest:
1 steg (includes 1 skink chief and 1 skink priest and a ******** of nice stuff for conversions)
1 skink box
2 saurus boxes
3 razordons (can be proxied for salamanders)
3 Terradons
1 Scar-vet on Cold one (if you need one on foot, convert from/proxy with a saurus)

this should let you field about 1000-1500 points. it's a little more expensive than what you suggested but it's also a lot better to start with.

then later, if you want to expand on that, you can add a batallion box and a slann to bring you to 2000 points. (u won't have enough temple guard, so use saurus to proxy them, you will have enough)
[3x Krox would also be nice to have by now, but since theirs not as good as the old ones, not mandatory.]

and in the third wave you can buy other stuff that you want and might be missing, like 3x salamanders, Chameleon skinks, 3x krox if you don't have any, yet, more skinks, oldblood on carnosaur, and "real" models for your proxies like the scar-vet on foot and 1x more box of temple guard.

Kerill
08-02-2009, 14:11
Now that I've vented my anti-codex blurb I would say you need to decide if you want a slann led army, an oldblood led army or a carnisaur oldblood led army. After that decision is made it's easy enough to decide what to buy:
Slann or carnisaur oldblood (or neither if you want oldblood on foot/coldone)
Get 1 stegadon
Get either 1 boxed of saurus or 1 box of saurus, 1 of temple guard
Get 2 boxes of skinks
Get 3 terradons.

You now have a decent mixed force, salamanders/razordons/more stegadons/krox are cool but not really 100% necessary for the basic force. The above should put you at around 2000 points.

8 Saurus cavalry is overkill so you can easily do one or two up as oldbloods/scar veteran bsb if you want with bits from stegadon or other kits.