PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about the new Warriors of Chaos

JCOLL
08-02-2009, 04:51
I am not new to Fantasy or 40k, but I've never played or played against the Warriors of Chaos. I'm thinking about selling off my dwarfs and starting a Warriors of Chaos army. I'm wondering what my fellow Warseer's think about them as an army? Do you think it's a good choice? What are your likes and dislikes? I currently play an Orcs and Goblins army, along with Dark Elves and High Elves. When I thought about it, it was odd that I had never played against Warriors of Chaos before, but what's a fella' to do, eh? So yeah, thanks in advance!

Frep
08-02-2009, 05:06
Warrios of Chaos looks like a fun army to me, not too overpowered but not weak. But I wouldn't sell my Dwarfs if I were you. Everyone who sells an army always seems to regret it later.

Kerill
08-02-2009, 05:10
WOC would certainly be a big change in playing style from dwarves, but as Frep said don't sell your whole army, you will regret it.

WOC armies can also be built fairly cheaply although at some point you will want to add marauder cavalry and warhounds and both are quite expensive per point.

JCOLL
08-02-2009, 05:36
From what I've looked into, one of the things that appeal to me about WOC is that they are relativley small in model count compared to others like dwarves. I'm not really concerned about the model count, but am more attracted to it as I am more likely going to be able to get them finnished and on the table a lot faster than my other armies. In fact, I've not actually played my dwarves. All they are doing is collecting dust. I love the models, but just don't know if they are for me. I'll probably hang onto them and get rid of my Vostroyans as they are more likely to get me more $ toward WOC. I have often regreted selling off models to pay for others, but sometimes you just get the itch for a new army and will do crazy things lol.

Dark14
08-02-2009, 07:30
agreed with frep if you sell you will regret it. just save up for a bit. Warriors are a OP if played right but they are no daemons. It is also a huge change from i assume a gunline to a rushing combat army.

The Red Scourge
08-02-2009, 09:23
WoC is not a well rounded army, but they've got power and brute force and have a great atmosphere. They do suffer against more maneuverable ie. skirmish heavy armies, and your characters do fear the dreaded Killing Blow more than anything else.

But there is something about having hero level characters (that are not broken SCs) able to break ranked regiments on their own that never loses its charm :)

Neckutter
08-02-2009, 10:40
WoC has a huge tactical liability. they have no skirmishers/fliers.
it matters a huge deal. that being said your army looks amazing on the battlefield, and is fun to play.

even dwarves have access to flier units :wtf:

Neknoh
08-02-2009, 10:48
Don't sell, especially seeing as, unless you are after the USD50 Hellcannons from the website, you wont need big ammounts of money to build an army now that the new plastics are around.

One box of Knights and two boxes of Marauder Horsemen allong with a Mounted model of your choosing to act as an Exalted on Chaos Steed should easely see you at 500 points, add a box of Warhounds, a Command for the knights, some marks and magic items and you are looking at perhaps 700-750 points, that's four plastic boxes and one metal character. The Lord of Nurgle on Daemonic Steed and Lord of Khorne on Daemonic Steed appear to be dropping in price and being placed in outlets atm, keep an eye out for them, awesome models at a cheaper price right now. Put them on a cavalry base instead of their 50mm bases and you're set.

Heck, putting him on a Daemonic Steed on a 50mm base gives you more points, so you can well do that, he turns nastier combat-wise as well.

Add in a box of Spawn if you would like to, although they are not really needed in an army like this, but they make for decent rear-protectors and can be sent down one flank should you need it. They will also help support you when you start picking up infantry for the army.

Exalted Champion
- Mark of Khorne, Daemonic Steed, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Sword of Battle, Shield, Soporific Musk... 250 points

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Mark of Khorne, Flails, Musician... 111 points

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Mark of Slaanesh, Flails, Musician... 91 points

5 Warhounds of Chaos
- ... 30 points

5 Warhounds of Chaos
- ... 30 points

5 Knights
- Mark of Nurgle, Full Command, Banner of Rage, Lances... 340 points

Spawn of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne... 75 points

Spawn of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne... 75 points

1002 points

For 2k, add two sorcerors, two blocks of Marauders, perhaps a Warshrine and a small unit of whatever elite troops you would want (be they warriors, trolls, ogres, dragon ogres, knights, a chariot etc.)

Odlox
10-02-2009, 12:47
Being a WoC player myself, i feel like im missing out on some tactical options, but then again being VERY good at what i CAN do. Close combat and magic are where WoC are good. No skirmishers and almost no flying is a nasty drawback, but marauder horsemen with mark of slaanesh, or a exalted on disk can perform some of those tasks. Cheap dogs as screeners... YouŽll find the tools for the job. And if you dont, you dont put yourself in a position where you need those jobs done :D

Anyway, what i like best with WoC is the modelling. As they are servants of chaos, there are a lot of fun conversions to do, like tentacles and horns, ekstra arms, legs, heads. Banners with flailing tentacles! Great detailed models. And if you want it simple, the warriors and knights can be basecoated black, and simply drybrushed with mithril silver or boltgun metal. Done ;) Because Chaos Armor is black. Colored chaos armor is a trick from GW to sell more models :rolleyes:

The Red Scourge
10-02-2009, 13:16
As said, you might miss out on tactical options, but then again you do also play HE, DE and O&G and have a variety of options this way. So go out and get some – and do remember to get lots of dogs (I've got 20 of the old metal ones, that's how good they are).

zak
10-02-2009, 13:40
I really like the new book. The army does suffer from no fliers/skirmishers, but this is easily remedied by using your shades (if you have some in your DE army) as Mengils Manflayers who are excellent DoW skirmishers. The army is fairly cheap to collect now that the warriors, marauders, hounds and knights are plastic.

W0lf
10-02-2009, 14:03
I find WoC to be rather bland imo. If i didnt have multiple other armies to play with i doubt id still be playing WHFB. That said dwarfs arnt a barrel of laughs ether tbh :P

Dont sell your dwarfs or any armies, everyone regrets it.

Write some chaos lists.. tbh i think that the fluff/models/feel/love for the army keeps people playing warriors, not the ruleset.