PDA

View Full Version : Ogre hunter

Urgat
08-02-2009, 09:31
Ok, many many people think the hunter is useless. I've personally proxied it a couple times, and I tend to agree.
Whatever, I thinking of buying one of ebay, for one sole reason:
he gives access to an additional trapper unit. And trappers are awesome, in all the few battles I've won with my ogres, they've always played a big role, an dos I'd like to field two if possible.
Now, I don't have my armybook handy so I cannot check it untill next week (and it'll be too late), so here I come with questions:
if you take into account that he's there only for the gnoblars, what can I do with him, what setup, etc?

studderigdave
08-02-2009, 13:59
yeah but does the inclusion of the hunter work well with your other hero choices? i find that the tyrant. 2 butcher +bsb combo at 2250 is rock solid, not being able to fit a hunter in there.

Guy Fawkes
08-02-2009, 16:54
Ok, many many people think the hunter is useless. I've personally proxied it a couple times, and I tend to agree.
Whatever, I thinking of buying one of ebay, for one sole reason:
he gives access to an additional trapper unit. And trappers are awesome, in all the few battles I've won with my ogres, they've always played a big role, an dos I'd like to field two if possible.
Now, I don't have my armybook handy so I cannot check it untill next week (and it'll be too late), so here I come with questions:
if you take into account that he's there only for the gnoblars, what can I do with him, what setup, etc?

I would not spend around 200 points and a hero choice to get a useless hero that allows me an additional unit of Gnoblar Trappers. I'm sorry, but that's not really a compelling reason, considering that the Trappers and the Hunter combined probably won't make back their points and will make a lot of units smaller by their inclusion.

Makaber
08-02-2009, 17:07
There's two terms I see pop up a lot that makes me cringe every time, and those are "useless" and "make back points".

Allright, the Hunter is pretty expensive and other options are generally better, but that doesn't mean his statline is nothing but zeros. He can still move around, he can still kill stuff, so he can still contribute to a battle. It's not points out of the window because you're still getting something, it's like paying too much for a car, and then pretending like it's not road worthy.

And god damnit, "making back points". That's the kind of logic that would work when I was ten years old and just lined up all my models and marched them against each other. A unit of Warhounds will extremely rarely kill anything at all, but don't you dare come here and say they don't contribute a great deal to my army. If you don't take into account concepts such as march blocking, presenting a threat, charge redirecting, baiting, and screening, Warhammer ain't the game for you.

Urgat
08-02-2009, 17:37
I would not spend around 200 points and a hero choice to get a useless hero that allows me an additional unit of Gnoblar Trappers. I'm sorry, but that's not really a compelling reason, considering that the Trappers and the Hunter combined probably won't make back their points and will make a lot of units smaller by their inclusion.

I'm not asking for them to make back their points. My gnoblars who lured chaos knights through the whole battle didn't make their points back, but they made me win nonetheless. As for the reasons, they're mine. What I want to know is how to make useful a choice out of a unit I don't expect much of. That's vastly different than taking the hunter because I'd hope it would do something cool. Hence why I'm posting this :)
And I play mostly 1000-1500 point battles btw.

SevenSins
08-02-2009, 17:50
I rather like the hunter, but my luck with him (and his cats) may be over normal... First time I used him I shot a treeman and caused 4 wounds (first round).
Taking him just for gnoblar trappers though.... not worth it IMHO...

For friendly games: Yes Unfriendly: No

Urgat
08-02-2009, 20:14
I'm only playing friendly games, I don't care for tournaments and all that. Warhammer is a hobby for me, not some kindda sport :p
So, doesn't anybody have advices or anything regarding the hunter?

SevenSins
08-02-2009, 20:50
A Hunter with 2 cats and longstrider big name, march up a flank first turn, sic'em if possible and let the big guy stay there and bolt-throw stuff. Thats my ususal use anyhoo.

Guy Fawkes
08-02-2009, 21:03
First off, I'm not saying that everything has to "make back points" to be useful, but taking a hunter for the ability to buy Gnoblar Trappers? Surely if you needed an extra unit of flexible marchblocking/redirecting that badly, you could just take some naked Bulls or a unit of 2 Leadbelchers? Obviously, you want to minimize the amount of points you spend on something that doesn't fit into your plans and something that will be a sacrificial unit if you will.

That being said, I'm sorry for digressing. I only hoped to dissuade you from feeling pressured to take a huge points sink in 1000 - 1500 points games.

If you do take a Hunter, keep him cheap. He really has only a few good things going for him. He has a good shot (nothing else in the army can really crack open Knights from range, so he has some utilitarian value), and he has Sabretusks (although don't feel pressured to buy or to release them if it will be more valuable to shoot/charge alone). Since he will be an independent character, it really is optimal to use him to kill enemy Wizards and put some pain on weaker support units that he can catch. You can also use him to charge in conjunction with a more minimal unit in order to ensure a win. Depending on what you want out of him there are really only a few options:

A.) Take Longstrider as a Big Name

Cheap at 25 points, this allows you to conserve a few points - It's a shame that no magic weapons a Hunter can use are cheaper than 30 points, besides the common ones, but this allows you an extra d6 of pursuit and a nice chance at getting the charge off with +1 M, which puts you at Knight level. However, Sabretusks are ablative wounds and can pursue 3d6, without eating into a character's magic allowance. Of course, the Hunter himself would be slower, but taking the Longstrider makes Sabretusks a lot less useful or necessary.

B.) Take the Bullgut

US 6 means that you can challenge a rank bonus and Ogre characters are good enough to kill a few of the models that will be in base-to-base if they can get a flank charge. Of course, you still can't take magic weapons and Sabretusks add to US anyways, so again they can be redundant with this option. However, with a nice flank charge you can more or less guarantee a break even with a minimum Bull unit to the front - The enemy will have Outnumber and a Banner, and you'll have Flank and a Banner, plus all the kills you get. Unfortunately, the effect only lasts while the bearer charges and Yhetees are decent flankers if you need them.

C.) Take something else

Nothing else in the armory really sticks out. The Greyback Pelt is nice, but I like Longstrider a bit better and Yhetees are generally a better buy than a Hunter. The Tenderiser is pretty scary on a solo character, but the Hunter isn't as good for challenges as Bruisers or Tyrants.

All in all it's up to you, but if you're taking a Hunter for the options of Gnoblar Trappers, keep him cheap.