PDA

View Full Version : Starting wood elves

Boss Zagstruk
08-02-2009, 15:32
Ive decided to start wood elves but im really not familiar with them. Ive read the book but i lack table top knowldge of them compaired to the newer armies which i am familiar with. What really works for a wood elf army and what doesnt? What are the best builds? Any pointers will be great :)

thanks

orkz222
08-02-2009, 17:10
Can try here http://www.asrai.org/index.php

Roxors45
08-02-2009, 17:31
Asrai.org is a great site dedicated to the wood elves. If your itching to go out and buy soemthing I suggest the book, of course, and a Battalion. You will actually use EVERYTHING the battalion gives you in almost every army you can think up of. Pretty much a couple boxes of dryads, glade guard a box of glade riders and you cant go wrong with a treeman and some wardancers. Happy hunting.

The Red Scourge
08-02-2009, 22:11
Everything but the eternal guards has its use :)

And don't get put off by the fact that they're only T3 and have no armor. They do not need it :)

Misfratz
08-02-2009, 22:20
Yeah, but the eternal guard are some very nice looking models. There aren't many wielding quarterstaff-type weapons.

Pulsks
09-02-2009, 05:56
I use the Eternal guard quite a lot.

But I do think it's more because I think they look awesome. :P

TheLionReturns
09-02-2009, 11:59
Another nod to Asrai.org here. In particular there is a section called the LEAF which has a series of tactics articles great for those new to wood elves.

It is my belief that WE work best by using their mobility to the full and hitting hard in combat, so wardancers, dryads and wild riders are your best hammer units. Despite their shooting being good this works best in a support role, I like to focus on removing fast cavalry or anything that rivals my mobility early on to ensure I have dominance in this phase. The Treeman is a great anvil unit, particularly the ancient with a BSB nearby. Eternal Guard with a BSB can also act as an anvil but they have become weaker in comparison to newer elite infantry.

The most important thing to remember is that WE lack static combat resolution (with the exception of eternal guard) and don't last well in fights due to the low toughness and lack of armour. As a result combined charges need to be made and charges should only be made when you are sure you can generate enough kills to break the enemy.

WE take some time to learn how to use because of their unusual playstyle and can be very unforgiving. They are however, very powerful when used well.

lybban
09-02-2009, 12:58
I play WE and they are a fun army to play but I do hate their magic, it positively sucks compared to every army Ive played.