PDA

View Full Version : 2250 - Heavy Hitter Lizardmen

thisisntnotjt
08-02-2009, 15:38
Hey kids, posting a quick army idea before I'm off to work. Goal: take on all comers with a focus on daemons and vamps.

Old-Blood (460)
Carnosaur, Sword of battle, Maiming Shield, Bane Head, Glyph Necklace, LA

Skink-Priest (440)
EotGs, Scroll, Diadem, L.2

Skink Chief (380)
Ancient Stegadon, War Spear

/Yes, I know these are a lot of points in characters. However, strategically they serve several purposes; Old blood provides leadership for flanking skinks and salamanders as well as being a tough as nails flanker and monster killer, Priest provides magic defense, shooting defense, and combat aid with some sick additional impact hits, and I don't really consider the chief a character so much as an additional to the stegadon./

12 Sauri w/ spears, Standard (156)

12 Sauri w/ spears (144)

12 Sauri w/ spears (144)

10 skink skirmishers (70)

10 skinks skirmisher (70)

2 Jungle swarm bases (90)

3 Salamanders (225)

The basic strategy is to out manuever the enemy's main line with the MSU sauri. They're perfect for this, since very few units will want to face tha many attacks with the possibility of getting flank charged from several angles by rank breakers, other sauri, carnosaur, and stegs all included. Assuming all goes well there, the stegs will bust open almost any unit with a combined charge, including daemons (except nurgle) and undead core. If I do stick, I have plenty of backup next turn, all the while putting pressure on the whole line. Salamanders will be PERFECT for shaving off enemy ranks in big units, making the fight more fair for my sauri, all the while the carnosaur coming down the opposite flank as the stegadons in most situations. Jungle swarms, sallies and skinks will fend off fast cav and skirmishers very effectively.

Any thoughts?

Keetoowah
08-02-2009, 20:59
I have found that the saurus with spears arnt worth it. Hand weapon and shield are much better, ecpecially for offensive purposes. Spears are more of a defensive thing. They say that you are expecting to get charged and not be the one doing the charging. And from what i got from the name "Heavy Hitter," I'm going to assume that you want an offensive/aggressive list. Am I correct?

Buddha777
08-02-2009, 21:11
I have found that the saurus with spears arnt worth it. Hand weapon and shield are much better, ecpecially for offensive purposes. Spears are more of a defensive thing. They say that you are expecting to get charged and not be the one doing the charging. And from what i got from the name "Heavy Hitter," I'm going to assume that you want an offensive/aggressive list. Am I correct?

Are you kidding!? Spear saurus are point for point the best core infantry in the game. Fight in two ranks is worth is because of saurus's two base attacks. A whopping 24 str. 4 attacks (25 with champion) is nothing but money.

Khaos
09-02-2009, 00:57
the oldblood is on a carny right? riight now you have him at 460 points with no mount :p

as for the list I like the idea. lotsa big dino's doin the bashing and the skinks/sauri doing a good job with distracting/supporting. might want to watch that the saurus slow movement doesnt hinder how well they work with the rest of the fast army. ever thought of droping the saurus and grabbing some cold one riders? fits with the theme and could perform the same task.

Dead Man Walking
09-02-2009, 02:05
Swarms would have to cost 25 points before they are worth thier points, since they are not I wouldn't use them. They don't do what they are designed to do, survive a killer charge and tarpit an enemy. So if they are charged by heavy calvary and the calvary does 5 wounds and the snakes do 1 the snakes loose by 4 wounds, mass and banner, they go poof and then the heavy calvary roll on into what ever was hiding behind them.

Until they fix swarms (hopefully in next edition?) never field swarms unless they are cheap cheap cheap.

Personally I would fix it by saying they take extra wounds equal to how many rank bonuses the unit attacking the swarm had to represent lots of feet stomping the swarm.
Swarms? No Thank you.

thisisntnotjt
09-02-2009, 11:55
Alright, good comments so far.

I'm going to have to agree with buddha as far as the spears go. For 12 extra points per unit (the same cost as a champ IIRC) you get twice the attacks in a prolonged combat, which will assuredly happen. Yes I will be charging with at least one of the three units, most likely fleeing with one other, in order to gain the advantage.

Cold one riders aren't a bad idea, and they would definitely add some speed to the army. I'm just a little worried my army's flanks would get cramped with 4 hitters, though the monsters do have small frontages. Hmm, perhaps I could charge them in with one of the stegs so the monster would happen to clip and still do all the damage.

I agree that the swarms are a bit iffy, though I've read some interesting ideas with them. They could be very good at fending off weaker skirmishers like shades or way watchers. They could also get up in the face of a blocked up enemy that's been angled funny to keep them out of the game for another turn. Just some thoughts.

Oh, and yeah, he's on a carny.

GuyLeCheval
09-02-2009, 13:57
I second the idee of some cold one riders, also because your fluff is designed as 'heavy hitter lizardman' Cold one riders belong there, period.

thisisntnotjt
09-02-2009, 14:51
Ha, ok, fair enough.

Though I wouldn't really call "heavy hitters" a theme; it's more like a strategy. If it did count, you'd have Helf players running around saying, "Look, my list has two dragons in it." I would reply, "Oh interesting strategy, does your army have some sort of theme to go with it?" And they would say, "Why, yes. You can clearly see that I have two dragons."

Anyways, how's this for an update?

Old-Blood (460)
Carnosaur, Sword of battle, Maiming Shield, Bane Head, Glyph Necklace, LA

Skink-Priest (440)
EotGs, Scroll, Diadem, L.2

Skink Chief (380)
Ancient Stegadon, War Spear

12 Sauri w/ spears, Standard (156)

12 Sauri w/ spears (144)

10 skinks skirmisher (70)

5 Saurus Cavalry (225)
Musician, Standard, Huanchi's Standard

3 Salamanders (225)
-------------

Come to think of it, this will probably help keep the focus off of my monsters a bit. Even if they do decide to focus on the monsters, a flank charge from these trouble makers will cause my opponent to have a very bad day.