PDA

View Full Version : ok, i've read the sticky, but still not 100%

transfer
08-02-2009, 17:45
i'm new to WH, i'm coming from WH40K.
i'm trying to decide on an army.

i'm a very agressive player. i prefer offence to defence. to anyone that played 40K, i liked the playstyle of the nids and orcs.

so far, from what i have heard i want to stay away from dwarfs for sure.
also, people have said that Bret and VC may be for me.

i was just hoping to get a few more opinions, thanks for any replies.

best defence is a good offence!

Nomad
08-02-2009, 17:53
Bretonnians are about as offensive as an army gets in Warhammer, although there are other armies like Orcs and Goblins and Daemons of Chaos that are also geared towards offensive play. The Brets are quite one-dimensional, though, as pretty much all that they do is charge with cavalry.

Makaber
08-02-2009, 17:53
Sounds like Dark Elves to me.

Although my personal advice would be to go with whatever you think look best. You're the one who has to buy and paint all the miniatures, after all, and that can turn into a real chore if your heart's not in it. And, most armies can be played offensivly, with a little out of the box thinking.

Godfiend
08-02-2009, 18:29
I think WoC is even more right up your alley - after all, they have only 1 ranged unit, and it's a giant cannon of doom and destruction. Few armies can match the face-smashing focus of WoC; however, it comes at the price of versatility (no skirmishers or flyers, for example).

I'd highly recommend you give them a look if you're into the hammer-smash-face tactics of WHFB.

maze ironheart
08-02-2009, 19:50
Dark elves for offence but if you want some armour and some offence then Wworriors of chaos.

isidril93
08-02-2009, 19:55
you have to narrow down your choice as alomst every army can be CC orientated

Dokushin
08-02-2009, 20:40
you have to narrow down your choice as alomst every army can be CC orientated

This.

Even Dwarves have slayers and miners; there's a good CC static-res points-denial build in there somewhere.

You can play heavy offense with anything. Every single army has a viable CC build in it that's going to let you run up and smash face. The style is a little different -- you have to get more specific.

Massive amounts of troops? Skaven, Empire
"Change the rules" style superiority? High Elves, Dark Elves
Straight up beatdown superiority? Lizardmen, Warriors of Chaos
Heavy Cavalry? Brettonians, or Vampire Counts nowadays
Combo support? Lizardmen, Daemons of Chaos
Endless never-running undead? Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts
High-Leadership 'elite' armies? High Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen
Flavor of the week? Daemons of Chaos, Vampire Counts, Dark Elves
New Kid on the Block? Lizardmen, Skaven (coming up)
Underused? Ogre Kingdoms (generally regarded as weak)
Magic backed? Empire, High Elves, Lizardmen
Shooting backed? Empire, High Elves, Dwarves
Dynamic? Orcs and Goblins

And so on and so on. These are just my opinions, of course, but you really need to think more about what kind of army really does it for you, because with fourteen or whatever there's one for you.

The best thing is, as suggested, just go with what you like the looks of. There will be a build in it somewhere for you.

The Red Scourge
08-02-2009, 21:47
For some in-your-face curb stomping violence, you can go with WoC or DoC.

If you like to add some tactics to your game and have a wider range of options, I'd recommend going with DE or WE. DE have the widest range of options and tactics, but suffer from having some 'broken' combinations that are easy to abuse and become dependant on. WE doesn't have any of these crutches, instead they have no troop choices without a use, and its hard to build a WE army that isn't strong, when you learn how to use the troops.

That said, I'd recommend you to go with an army that appeals to you fluffwise and whose models you like. It is true that most dwarf players take the easy way out and field a gunline, and reduce their tactical options to rolling dice and hoping for the best, but it is not necessary to play them this way, as they have some of the toughest infantry in the game.

ChaosVC
09-02-2009, 03:53
I am assuming that you want control and a very aggressive advancing army. I know nid is a very aggressive advancing army but you also have control over it, at the same time it can be also quite flexible.

So for Warhammer, I would reconmand Dark elves. Dark elves is one of the most aggressive and flexible army at the moment. They are powerful on the charge with hatred making them a very good close combat assault army and with a very flexible choices of built, you can go all offensive, bait and counter or full defensive with Darkelves. Their only down side is also because of hatred because of it, they must always pursue, no complete control.

Warriors of Chaos on the other hand is suppose to be the best close combat army in the game, fast and equally aggresive if not more then darkelves, but its tactical approach is very one dimensional, which is, advance and nothing more. Though it can be fun and challenging. Unless you play Khornate or spawns, you have almost complete control of you units.

Bretonnian, is somewhat like Warriors of Chaos, potenially equally hard hitting as Warriors but much more faster, after all they have nothing but knights and more knights, you can chose to ignore the peasents if you like. Other than Knight erants which may charge without your orders, you have almost complete control of your trioops.

Demons!!!! They are a Blashpemy to warhammer!!! Very powerful, Very flexible
And almost total control. Take them at your players pool peril.:skull::cheese:
You have been warned.

Orcs and goblins, erh yep very aggressive, infact they are the most aggressive army you can get in the warhammer world. They are so aggresive that they have this rule call animosity, for every unit you must roll a d6, on a 1 they unleashed their aggressiveness among themselves and poking at each other's eyes other than fighting or moving towards their enemy. Yea, their aggressive alright. Controlling them can be very challenging.:D

Beast of Chaos, flexible army, another very aggressive army with funky rules. They may suit you best because they are almost like a fantasy 40k army with the core troops being fast close combat skirmishers. Only problem is that their book is outdated and needed an update desperately. But like the bretonions Knight Errant, they may charge without orders. A little better than Orcs and goblins in terms of control.

Hope these helps.

Johnnyfrej
09-02-2009, 05:15
i'm new to WH, i'm coming from WH40K.
i'm trying to decide on an army.

i'm a very agressive player. i prefer offence to defence. to anyone that played 40K, i liked the playstyle of the nids and orcs.

so far, from what i have heard i want to stay away from dwarfs for sure.
also, people have said that Bret and VC may be for me.

i was just hoping to get a few more opinions, thanks for any replies.

best defence is a good offence!
You'll definatly love Fantasy. It's even easier to create a powergaming win-button army in Fantasy because a lot of the randomness and equilizing of 40k is missing in Fantasy. From what I hear your best bet would be mixed Daemons or Vampire Counts.