PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen this?

vamp
08-02-2009, 18:56
Anyone ever seen a battle report in White Dwarf where the army they are promoting ( new codex or new army all togeather) ...loses?

I don't think I have ever. It's obvious why. I guess you can't falt GW for this. They need to make a buck to stay afloat.

Nomad
08-02-2009, 19:02
Dark Elves back in 6th Edition is the only one I can think of. They were defeated by Vampire Counts. Mind you, I haven't read White Dwarf in about a year, so there may have been other examples more recently. I somehow doubt it, though.

Lord Malorne
08-02-2009, 19:03
Years ago...Dark Eldar, odd as Dark Eldar are quite powerful now with certain builds, would be odd if a new army loses, like when tau came out years ago and ought marines, the mission heavily favoured the Tau...

Bloodknight
08-02-2009, 19:04
Orcs and Goblins, 40K Orks, Dark Eldar, and IIRC the last Dark Elf book had the new army losing.

Disciple of Caliban
08-02-2009, 19:32
^^ Correct, the most recent fantasy loss was Dark Elves. The VC army was led by Zacharias, and Morathis force was butchered (the lady herself was eaten by the vamp)

isidril93
08-02-2009, 19:36
when was that? the last DE white dwarf was against high elves

zak
08-02-2009, 19:41
That was 6th edition DE, I believe. WD battles have been stagd for many years and the battle is often fought several times and the 'best' result published. The armies are often poorly chosen and the players seem to think the WHFB rules apply to other people.

yabbadabba
08-02-2009, 19:52
That was 6th edition DE, I believe. WD battles have been stagd for many years and the battle is often fought several times and the 'best' result published. The armies are often poorly chosen and the players seem to think the WHFB rules apply to other people.

The armies are mostly chosen from the armies the studio have painted. As these are representative armies and not some tournament monster, they often show of the variety and intention of whats available, rather than what is the best according to "math-hammer". In addition, they give alot of the armies to so called "newbies" as a marketing tool, to show that the armies can be played by all, and not just experienced old lags. That the new army invariably wins is just an extension of that marketing process.

WD has a 3 month lead time and the battle reports are often fought as soon as a viable army is ready in the studio, often long before WD is started, as they are very time consuming.

I think people need to wind their necks in about battle reports. Even in people's questionable golden days of battle reports, they were still done the same way, played until they got the result they wanted, with the models available. Go back further and people had to use their own armies becuase the studio was not capable of painting armies in time.

Reality check kids.

Quetzl
08-02-2009, 20:22
Last one I remember was the Orks stealing the Imperial Guards thunder like back in 1999 or soming. I don't remember any Fantasy ones however I obvioulsy didn't take in that Dark Elves lost when they were released!

Panzer MkIV
08-02-2009, 20:37
Plenty of times

5th edition Warhammer

Dogs of War: loses against Beastmen

3th ed 40k

Space marines: lost against Orks
Dark Eldar: lost against Imperial guard
Orks: lost against Space Marines
Imperial Guard: lost against Orks
Black Templars: lost against Orks
Salamanders: lost against Orks
Speed Freeks: lost against White Scars
Necrons: Draw against Imperial guard/Deathwatch
Witch Hunters: Draw against Tau

6th ed Warhammer
Orcs and Goblins: Draw against Empire
Dwarfs: Draw against Goblins/Skaven
Dark Elves: Loss against Vampire Counts
Skaven: Draw against Empire
Beasts of Chaos: Lost against Wood Elves
Ogre Kingdoms: Draw against Empire

7ed Warhammer
Empire: Draw against Vampire Counts

Warmaster
Chaos: Loss against Empire/Dwarfs

These are just the ones I remember;)

enyoss
08-02-2009, 20:58
That the new army invariably wins is just an extension of that marketing process.

Let's not be too cynical :).

I find that I almost always lose to a new army with rules I haven't played against before, or always win my first few games with a new army, so it's hardly surprising.

To be honest I'm less concerned about them staging the result and more concerned about the overall quality and thorough treatment of the actual report. The one in the most recent UK edition (Lizardmen vs Daemons) was truly dire, and a sad contrast to their mid-90's heyday :(.

Cheers,

enyoss

Master Stark
08-02-2009, 21:11
I think Bretonnians got trounced in three turns in their inaugural battle report, but a rematch ensued after which turned the tables.

Ork_Warboss
09-02-2009, 00:10
In the White Dwarf for new space marines, marines lost all 3 battles I believe.

Panzer MkIV
09-02-2009, 00:17
In the White Dwarf for new space marines, marines lost all 3 battles I believe.

Not exactly

Ultramarines drew against Eldar
White Scars won against Chaos Marines
Salamanders lost against Tyranids

So overal it was a draw IMO:angel:

studderigdave
09-02-2009, 00:20
i heard that the catachan IG book force in one of the old WD had to face the DE six times before they got a win.

mweaver
09-02-2009, 00:50
At least a couple of times I've seen them say up front that the "featured" army got whooped, so they played again.